Benefits of the WPDN Mentoring Program
As expected, both Mentors and Mentorees gain much from the program but additionally the mentoring program helps in ways you would never expect, with a flow on effect to family, friends, work collegues, supervisors and the organisation.
Benefits gained by Mentorees
- Increased self confidence and valuing their personal skill set/strength
- Increased knowledge of the university system and how it work
- Increased network across the whole university/ increased support network/ new contacts and friendship
- Increased visibility through networking
- Improved communication and interpersonal skills
- Increased clarity of personal and professional goals.
Benefits gained by Mentors
- Personal satisfaction from helping and watching someone grow and develop
- Knowledge of the institution from a different perspective (that of the mentoree)
- Skills in the sharing of information and appreciation of the process
- Improved listening, counselling and coaching skills
- An opportunity for personal reflection on their own career/ personal aspirations
- Recognition and appreciation of their own skills and increased confidence
Benefits of Mentoring for the organisation
- Staff retention (research indicates that employees who receive effective coaching and mentoring plan to stay with the company for at least the next 5 years)
- More effective staff
- Demonstrates a commitment to training and development
- Tangible and measurable gains if work tasks or projects are used as developmental tools
- Improved communication across the organisation Increased motivation
What happens in a mentoring relationship that enables personal and professional growth to occur?
The power of the mentor BELIEVING in the mentoree's ability and encouraging the mentoree to do what they think they cannot do
The power of the mentor LISTENING to the mentoree
The power of receiving TRUTH in the form of constructive feedback.