About the Waite Campus
The Waite Campus at Urrbrae, 7km south of Adelaide's CBD, is Australia's leading research, education and commercialisation precinct for agricultural science.
Part of SA's largest-ever individual bequest, the property on which the Waite Campus is located was gifted to The University of Adelaide by Peter Waite (see Waite History) in 1913.
Since the establishment of the Waite Agricultural Research Institute in 1924, the Waite Campus has built an international reputation for its strengths in:
- plant science and breeding (particularly cereal crops),
- landscape and soil science
- wine/viticulture research.
A distinctive feature of the Waite Campus is the co-location of several of Australia's premier research and development organisations, enabling greater collaboration and the sharing of infrastructure and expertise. Cooperation between the organisations on the Waite Campus has led to the Wine Innovation Cluster, amongst other joint initiatives. The WRI seeks to enhance and build on the opportunities arising from co-location at the Waite.
The Waite Campus hosts:
- 14 world-class research organisations and centres;
- 1100 research and technical staff;
- several hundred students every year undertaking a range of undergraduate and postgraduate agricultural science degrees;
- more than $250 million worth of world-class research and teaching infrastructure.