Australian Codes and Guidelines
- 8th edition of the Australian Code for the Care and Use of Animals Used for Scientific Purposes
Following extensive public consultation and review by a national working party made up of industry, government and animal welfare representatives, in 2013 the NHMRC released the 8th edition of the Australian Code for the Care and Use of Animals Used for Scientific Purposes (The Code).
- Best Practice Methodology in the use of animals for scientific purposes (2017)
This guidance:outlines best practice for the conduct of high quality animal-based studies
highlights common flaws in methodologies used in animal-based studies and issues that affect their reproducibility
provides practical strategies for implementation of best practice methodology during the planning, conduct and reporting of animal-based studies.
- NHMRC Wellbeing Guidelines
Guidelines to promote the well-being of animals used for scientific purposes: the assessment and alleviation of
pain and distress in research animals
- Ways of Minimising Pain and Distress in Animals in Research
This guide provides a comprehensive guide for all people working with laboratory and domestic animals in the research environment.
- Code of Practice for the Housing and Care of Laboratory Mice, Rats, Guinea Pigs and Rabbits (Victoria)
This code is made under The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986 and applies to all institutions breeding and using such animals for research, testing and teaching, to establish minimum standards and promote recommendations for the housing and care of these species.
- The Australian Animal Research Review Panel Polices and Guidelines
Various policies and guidelines developed by the Animal Research Review Panel (ARRP) and the Animal Welfare Unit are available on this website.