Skip to content
Housing & Care of Laboratory Animals
- American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS)
- Assessing the Health and Welfare of Laboratory Animals (AHWLA)
Practical guidance in recognising signs of health and good welfare, as well as sign of pain, distress and poor welfare, in laboratory animals.
- The Animal Welfare Institute
Provides information on refinement of housing and handling conditions and environmental enrichment for laboratory animals
- The National Centre for the Replacement, Refinement and Reduction of Animals in Research (NC3Rs)
The NC3Rs provides a UK focus for the promotion, development and implementation of the 3Rs in animal research.
- Universities Federation for Animal Welfare
- Code of Practice for the Housing of Laboratory Mice, Rats, Guinea Pigs and Rabbits Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources, Victoria.
- Guidelines for the Housing of Sheep in Scientific Institutions
- Guidelines for the Housing of Rabbits in Scientific Institutions
- Guidelines for the Care and Housing of Dogs in Scientific Institutions
- Guidelines for the Housing of Mice in Scientific Institutions
- Comfortable Quarters for Laboratory Animals
Guide for laboratory animal care personnel on the humane housing and handling of individual animal species in research facilities.
- Wikipedia: Guines Pig
Generally good information that covers a range of topics such as: History, Traits, Habitat, Behaviour, Breeding, Diet, Health, Pets, Scientific Research, etc.
- Guidelines for housing Guinea Pigs in Scientific Institutions
- Wikipedia: Laboratory Rat
General information about laboratory rates that includes a small amount of infomation about the more generic laboratory strains of rat.
- Guidelines for the Housing of Rats in Scientific Institutions