Why Choose this Program
The Professional Certificate in Arbitration is a program specifically designed to develop students’ skills and knowledge in the key principles of domestic commercial arbitration.
These principles provide a framework for dealing with a broad range of disputes, not limited to conducting an arbitration: students will obtain knowledge and skills for the conduct of an arbitration as an arbitrator, but also as counsel or advisor during or prior to an arbitration, and in considering a disputes framework when managing and developing commercial contracts.
Students will benefit from the practical and focused approach in this specialised area of ADR, the flexible learning delivery format and the direct industry connections to a dispute resolution organisation. The exposure to expert practitioners will enhance student’s career and networking opportunities.
Practical and specialised focus on arbitration
- This is the only postgraduate program in Australia focussing specifically on domestic commercial arbitration that gives students direct access to a grading process enabling them to practice as an arbitrator.
- The program has highly practical and experiential content – face to face workshops have strong practical focus and supports students’ understanding of arbitration proceedings. Assessments are focused on building skills in writing successful arbitral awards and understanding arbitration processes within a legal framework.
- Students acquire transferrable skill sets that benefit their careers and organisations in which they work – they may work as an arbitrator or work in roles, or for organisations, that are involved in arbitration proceedings at any stage, and are well placed to assist in settling disputes that might lead to arbitration, or drafting commercial arrangements to enable any dispute to take advantage of arbitration processes rather than having to proceed to a court process.
Flexibly learning and delivery
- A flexible learning approach includes both face to face workshops and online delivery. Learners benefit from multiple learning channels and media formats, appealing to all learning styles. The delivery incorporates interactive and engaging online formats which students can access at their convenience within the course structure.
- The flexible learning option allows for 24/7 access to materials via MyUni, the university’s online Learning Management System. Students can organise study around their work and life commitments.
Industry partnerships, career development and networks
- There is close industry partnering in the delivery of the program which provides many opportunities for students to experience and learn how arbitration works in real-world scenarios and cases. These partners include the University of Adelaide, Resolution Institute, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators as well as numerous subject matter experts.
- Working with students from throughout Australia with different professional backgrounds, creates a robust and interesting learning environment, and enables individuals to expand professional networks and obtain a broader understanding of arbitration applications.
- The Professional Certificate in Arbitration meets the educational requirements for a Grade 3 Arbitrator at the Resolution Institute. Students who successfully complete the certificate can apply to enter a grading process at the Resolution Institute to become registered as a Grade 3 Arbitrator and be included on the Resolution Institutes Register of Arbitrators.
- Students qualify for one year of free Associate Membership of Resolution Institute, which provides access to professional development and networking events and resources on arbitration.
- The program has recognised provider status with the Chartered Institute of Arbitration (CIArb): students can further their study and careers in international commercial arbitration by applying for Associate Level Membership of CIArb.
- Students are able to explore additional career study options within the distinguished and well-renowned Adelaide Law School, which offers a wide range of post-graduate masters programs. The Professional Certificate of Arbitration courses can be used to count toward a masters qualification.
Expertise of University of Adelaide and Resolution Institute
- This unique offering as a joint venture between the University and Resolution Institute combines strong academic content with practical workshops delivered by highly skilled and qualified practitioners.
- A recognised University qualification is awarded on successful completion of the Professional Certificate. Students are permitted to use the post-nominals of ProfCertArb.
- Current and up-to-date content is constantly reviewed with changes to legislation and new cases and materials incorporated into the program, which is monitored by a Board of Management.
- A Quality Assurance program is supported by university evaluations and a university review process conducted periodically within the University’s Review framework, and co-ordinated by the Learning and Quality Support unit.
- High performing students are recognised with the “The Resolution Institute Award for Highest Academic Merit” awarded to the student achieving the highest result in each cohort.
- The program is FEE-Help approved – FEE-HELP is an interest-free loans facility for students enrolled in fee-paying postgraduate coursework.
Quality of presenters
- The program is taught by highly experienced educators, Adjunct Associate Professor Kathleen McEvoy and Mr Paul Leadbeter. Associate Professor McEvoy is an experienced legal academic as well as widely experienced in arbitration, mediation and other forms of decision making though legal practice and membership of numerous state and commonwealth tribunals over many years. Mr Leadbeter is an experienced legal practitioner of many years standing as well as a legal academic at the University of Adelaide.
- Resolution Institute tutors are highly skilled and qualified practitioners with diverse backgrounds in law and other professions – they bring a wealth of knowledge and experience to the learning environment in the delivery of the practical workshops each semester.