MAGENTA: Magnesium sulphate at 30 to 34 weeks' gestational Age: Neuroprotection Trial.
This trial is currently recruiting. The trial is open for other centres in Australia and New Zealand to join. Contact
Babies born very preterm have a greater risk of significant morbidities including neurologic impairments such as cerebral palsy. The risk of morbidity increases with decreasing gestational age at birth. The Cochrane review evaluating the effect of magnesium sulphate on neuroprotection of the fetus shows that magnesium sulphate given to women at risk of imminent preterm birth reduces the risk of cerebral palsy. It remains unclear at which gestational age treatment will be beneficial.
The National Clinical Practice Guidelines on Antenatal Magnesium Sulphate prior to preterm birth of the fetus, infant and child recommends further randomised trials at 30 weeks' gestation or more. This had led to the MAGENTA Study.
|Funding:||NHMRC Project Grant 2012-2016|
|Chief Investigators:||Professor Caroline Crowther, Ms Philippa Middleton, A/Professor Dominic Wilkinson, A/Professor Ross Haslam|
|Clinical Trial Coordinator:||Ms Pat Ashwood, Ms Daniela Gagliardi, Ms Michaela Jarrett|
|Phone:||61 8 8161 7767|
|Fax:||61 8 8161 7652|
SA - Women's & Children's Hospital
Auckland City Hospital
- Antenatal Magnesium Sulphate for Neuroprotection Guideline Development Panel. Antenatal magnesium sulphate prior to preterm birth for neuroprotection of the fetus, infant and child: National clinical practice guidelines. 2010 Adelaide, The University of Adelaide (Guidelines)
- Crowther CA, Middleton PF, Wilkinson D, Ashwood P, Haslam R, MAGENTA Study Group. Magnesium sulphate at 30 to 34 weeks' gestational age: neuroprotection trial (MAGENTA) - study protocol. BMC Preg Childbirth. 2013;13. (Protocol)
- Nguyen TMN, Crowther CA,Wilkinson D, Bain E. Magnesium sulphate for women at term for neuroprotection of the fetus. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2013, Issue 2. (Review)
- Doyle L, Crowther C, Middleton P, Voysey M, Marret S, Rouse D. Antenatal magnesium sulphate to prevent cerebral palsy in very preterm infants. BJOG 2011;118(7):891-892. (Letter)
- Nguyen TN, Crowther CA, Wilkinson D. Magnesium sulphate for women at term for neuroprotection of the fetus (Protocol). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011, Issue 10.
- Doyle LW, Crowther CA, Middleton P, Marret S, Rouse D. Magnesium sulphate for women at risk of preterm birth for neuroprotection of the fetus. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010, Issue 1.
- Doyle L, Crowther C. et al. Antenatal magnesium sulphate and neuroprotection for very preterm infants - The Updated Cochrane review. J Paediatrics and Child Health 2009;45(suppl 1): A47
- Crowther CA, Doyle LW. et al. Outcomes at 2 years of age after repeat doses of antenatal corticosteroids. New Engl J Med 2007;357(12): 1179-1189. (Article)
- Crowther, CA, JE. Hiller, et al. Effect of magnesium sulfate given for neuroprotection before preterm birth - A randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2003;290(20): 2669-2676. (Article)
- Crowther CA, Hiller JE. et al. Magnesium sulphate for preventing preterm birth in threatened preterm labour. Cochrane database Syst Rev 2002, Issue 4.