The Indigenous Oral Health Unit is nested within the Australian Research Centre for Population Oral Health (ARCPOH).
The Unit is governed by an Advisory Committee. The purpose of this Committee is to provide a consultative forum that can effectively drive strategic directions and external relationships with particular reference to the Unit's Aims and Objectives. Advisory Committee representatives will be appointed on the recommendation of ARCPOH management by the IOHU Director. Normal membership term shall be two years, with renewal at the discretion of the approving body of IOHU's establishment and Advisory Committee (ARCPOH management).
The composition of the Committee shall be made up of one representative each from:
- Chair; The University of Adelaide's Yaitya Purryna
- South Australian Dental Service/SA Health
- Colgate Palmolive
- Aboriginal Health Council of South Australia
- Indigenous Dental Association of Australia
- Office for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health
- Indigenous Health InfoNet
- Rural/remote dental alliance
- ARCPOH management
- IOHU Director
- Indigenous general health researcher independent from any representative organisations
- Indigenous community representative independent from any representative organisations
Meetings shall be held twice a year.
The IOHU Advisory Committee falls under the umbrella of, and is responsible to, ARCPOH's Advisory Committee and Management. The functions of the IOHU Advisory Committee are to: Facilitate co-operation between relevant partners in initiating, developing, carrying out and monitoring measures specified by IOHU's Aims and Objectives
- Assist in the resolution of issues that may arise through delivery or otherwise of the IOHU's Aims and Objectives
- Assist in the development and review of IOHU research plans
- Consult with ARCPOH's management on any proposed changes to IOHU's Aims and Objectives, or governance procedures or policies
- To keep under review:
- developments in the field of Indigenous oral health;
- the employment of IOHU staff for various projects;
- funding sources and consulting opportunities;
- teaching and Higher Degree Research supervision
- To assist in:
- Raising the visibility of IOHU at a national and international level;
- Maintaining the scientific and ethical integrity of IOHU's work program;
- Such other functions as are prescribed or agreed upon by IOHU's Director and Advisory Committee
- To assist in the formulation and dissemination (in appropriate languages) of policies, practices and procedures.