National Oral Health Promotion Steering Group (NOHPSG)
The National Oral Health Promotion Steering Group (NOHPSG) was set up in 2005 in response to the National Oral Health Plan 2004-2013.
It was initiated as the National Oral Health Promotion Forum to enable a forum for state and territory Health Promotion practitioners to influence service system reform and identify good public health practice in the area of oral health. In July 2006 this Forum met to clarify its role and plan future action and was also renamed as the National Oral Health Promotion Steering Group (NOHPSG).
The Steering Group recognises the need for strategic leadership to assist Australian state and territories to build oral health promotion research and practice. Through this collective process the steering group will enhance opportunities for identifying and actioning strategic initiatives to integrate oral health promotion and provide the most effective utilisation of scarce resources.
Role and Purpose
- To facilitate collaboration in oral health promotion for the progression of action areas related to health promotion within the National Oral Health Plan.
- Provide a forum for the coordination of interstate resource sharing, facilitate health promotion strategic direction setting and identify and communicate health promotion best-practice in the area of oral health.
- Provide leadership in oral health promotion in Australia underpinned by health promotion principles.
- Provide leadership to co-ordinate the delivery of the health promotion components of the National Oral Health Plan.
- Maximise the sharing of current oral health promotion intelligence to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of OHP.
- Encourage investment in health promotion as a key strategic activity within the development and delivery of effective oral health services throughout Australia.
- Ensure the inclusion of oral health into the broader health promotion agenda.
- Identify issues that require a co-ordinated response or expert advice to assist further progression.
The National Oral Health Promotion Clearinghouse is part of the NOPHSG and hosts its online presence through this website.