Oral Health Promotion for Infants, Preschool and School Children
On this page:
- Information for the Oral Health Children - NT Health
- Toothbrushing Information Manual - NT Department of Health
- Colgate Caries Program - Australian Research Centre for Population Oral Health
- Colgate Bright Smiles, Bright Futures
- Lift the Lip
- Dental Health Advice - Dental Health Service Victoria
- Messages for a Healthy Mouth (2nd Edition) - NSW Department of Health
- Dental Care for Children - South Australian Dental Service/Health SA
- Keep a Healthy Smile - Qld Health
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Flip Charts - Queensland Government
- Children's Oral Health - US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention Toothbrushing Information Manual - NT Department of Health
- Caries Risk Assessment, DEPRU, The Australian Research Centre of Population Oral Health
Information for the Oral Health of Children (including early childhood)- NT Health
NT Health has provided a variety of resources for children, parents, carers and teachers about the oral health care of children. Their are posters to teach school children about healthy diet, how to brush their teeth, how to avoid decay and other topics, it also includes colouring in and puzzle books, flyers and stickers. There are also fact sheets for parents to help inform them to make the best decisions for their children's oral health.
The Early Childhood Oral Health book (follow the link above) has been designed to be used to tell the story of how to care for children's teeth and mouth from birth onwards. Use the 'no images' version to place photos from your local community in the blank bubbles provided to personalise the resource.
There are multiple resources available here including booklets, posters and brochures aimed at parents, children and communities.
This Toothbrushing Information manual provided valuable information, do's and don'ts and tips on toothbrushing especially for children for use by both practitioners, parents, caregivers and general public.
The Caries Control Program - Australian Research Centre for Population Oral Health - University of Adelaide
Please visit The Colgate Caries Control Program at The University of Adelaide (ARCPOH) for information contained in a series of pamphlets on tooth decay including ones that are specifically for early childhood decay.
- Early childhood decay
- Young adults and dental decay
- Dental sealants
The award-winning Colgate Bright Smiles, Bright Futures Oral Health Education (BSBF) Program offers lots of developmentally-appropriate material for use in your classroom. You'll find handy references and articles regarding the oral health of your young people. You'll also find engaging, kid-friendly printable pages to use as take-home materials or to keep children occupied and engaged in the dental office or clinic.
Lift the Lip is an educational resource to complement the Early Childhood Oral Health Guidelines for Child Health Professionals but it is also useful for parents as they can routinely check for signs of decay in their children's teeth regularly.
The Health Promotion Division of Dental Health Service Victoria produces dental health advice through a variety of brochures for parents and caregivers of infants, and preschool and school children.
- Tooth Tips - Teething
- Tooth Tips - Thumb and Finger Sucking
- Tooth Tips - Dental Visits
- Drink Well Tip Card for Parents
- Clean Well Tip Card for Parents
- Drink Well Fact Sheet for Parents
- Clean Well Fact Sheet for Parents
- Eat Well Fact Sheet for Parents
- Eat Well Tip Card for Parents
- Play Well Fact Sheet for Parents
- Play Well Tip Card for Parents
Dental Health Service Victoria also provide information sheets on the following topics relating to children's oral health:
- How to Brush Your Child's Teeth
- Translated Oral Health Advice and Guides
- Clean Well, Eat Well, Drink Well Health Tip Cards
The NSW Department of Health has produced this Messages for a Healthy Mouth brochure to help parents and carers to improve the oral health of their children from infancy to 12 years.
For further information please contact:
Centre for Oral Health Strategy NSW
The SA Dental service provides information sheets on Dental Care for Children including the following topics:
- Caring for Your Child’s Smile
- Give Your Child’s Teeth a Healthy Start
- Inhalation Sedation: Information for Parents
The Keeping a Healthy Smile page has information for parents regarding maintaining good oral health for all stages of life through diet, fluoride and self-care. There are additional pages on the following topics specifically relevant to children's oral health.
The Queensland Department of Health also provides information aimed at Aboriginal parents, though the information is applicable for non-Indigenous Australians also.
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Flip Charts are two pictorial flipcharts and other documentation that describe how to look after teeth: Building Strong Teeth is aimed at school children and is a resource for teachers, Indigenous Health Workers, and other health professionals, Looking After Your Mouths.
This Centre provides Children's Oral Health information and advice for parents. The bottom of the page has links to other information such as oral health for kids, community water fluoridation, oral health and learning and other resources.
As a consequence of use of fluoride in public water supplies, dentifrices and professional products, improvement of oral hygiene practices as well as increased access to dental care, dental caries experience has declined in Australia. However, dental caries still remains one of the commonest chronic diseases in children. This special topic provides an overview of the importance of CRA for children, presenting the most important risk indicators and tools available to estimate caries risk.
The Caries Risk Assessment (CRA) for Children webpage has information pamphlets for parents.