Oral Health Promotion for Older People
On this page:
- The Colgate Caries Program
- The Colgate Periodontal Education Program
- Oral Health for Older People: A Practical Guide for Aged Care Services
- Better Oral Health in Residential Care
- Queensland Health Online Topical Information Pages
- Promoting Older Peoples Oral Health
Materials included in the Caries Control Program:
- Practice Information Sheets present a brief summary of issues related to the examination, diagnosis, recording, prevention and simple management of dental decay.
- Newsletters have a clinical focus by presenting case challenges. Interesting cases diagnosed and treated by general practitioners are presented in a brief case report format. The newsletters will also include updates on other parts of the Program, reviews of the latest research findings and will provide an opportunity for discussion on issues raised by participants.
- Patient Pamphlets provide a series of educational patients pamphlets will be included in the Program to aid the dental services providers in communicating the nature of dental decay to patients. The pamphlets are pitched at a more detailed level than average pamphlets and deal with difficult issues for example: why patients may have to come back to see the dentist more frequently than previously and why just filling the teeth is not the answer to dental decay.
The Colgate Periodontal Education Program is aimed to stimulate and support the provision of periodontal care. The Program consists of a range of materials for dentists and patients on periodontal care.
Oral Health for Older People: A Practical Guide for Aged Care Services - Department of Human Services Victoria
Published in 2002, Oral Health for Older People: A Practical Guide for Aged Care Services document was produced to assist careers and service providers to promote oral health for older people, particularly those in residential or home care environments.
Published in 2009 the Better Oral Health in Residential Care professional portfolio is designed to assist GP's and RN's to provide older patient’s in residential care with oral health assessments and care planning, including a dental referral protocol.
This portfolio is dedicated to Dr Jane Margaret Chalmers (1965-2008) who advanced the field of oral health promotion for older people in the course of her life's work.
The website has amongst other publications, webpages with information on:
Published in 2011, the Promoting Older People's Oral Health guide was developed to support nurses and care givers promote oral health for older people by ensuring good practice, particularly for individuals experiencing illness or who live in residential care facilities.