Mental Health Awareness Online Training
The online Mental Health Awareness Induction Course is available to all staff members and clarifies the why, when and how to act when you are concerned about a student's mental health.
The key messages of the training are Be Aware, Listen and Link students to support.
Always seek advice from the staff within the Counselling team within Student Life Counselling Service if you are unsure of what to do.
- suicide risks and safety
- responding to students in distress or those who show concerning or challenging behaviours
- mental health at university
- supporting students under the MACA policy
- referring to support services (CDS, Student Care, the International Students' Centre, Wirltu Yarlu and others)
- Early Intervention Group for reporting inappropriate student behaviour.
The training contains video and audio content as well as interactive quizzes and links to staff support and further information. There are clear steps to follow both in an emergency and in your everyday interactions with students.
Mental health affects us all. We encourage you to invest some time to undertake this worthwhile training to promote the well-being of all members of our University community. We suggest you undertake the training in 3 x 1 hour sessions, or 2 x 1.5 hour sessions to gain the most benefit.
Please note the course will be available shortly in MyUni.