General FAQs

The University is closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation, and our response is being shaped by the latest advice from Australian health and foreign affairs authorities. 

Information about buildings and facilities

With many staff and students back on campus, the University continues to take advice from Government and health authorities to ensure a safe campus environment. While most buildings and retailers are open, there may be some changes to opening hours or access conditions. 

Read more from the Infrastructure team 

  • What do I need to know about COVID-19?

    Read the latest advice from the Government, including information on symptoms and how to seek medical advice.

  • Are there any quarantine requirements for students or staff returning from countries affected by travel restrictions?

    Australia's borders are now closed, with only Australian citizens, permanent residents and their dependants still able to enter the country. Read more about the Australian Government’s travel restrictions. All travellers arriving in Australia must now undertake a mandatory 14-day quarantine at designated facilities (for example, a hotel), in their port of arrival.

    Please also see details of some further travel restrictions on entering South Australia.

    Quarantine requirements remain in place for individuals who have been in contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19.

    If you are affected by quarantine requirements and need assistance, please call the University’s dedicated helpline on +61 8 8313 2882 or email us so we can assist you. We will work with you to help you engage with your studies from a distance.

  • Are there quarantine requirements for students or staff returning from interstate?

  • What happens if I am being tested for COVID-19?

    You will need to follow the advice of the testing clinic and, where required, SA Health. If you are advised by the testing clinic or SA Health not to attend the University for a period of time, please contact your supervisor. If you are an undergraduate student, please contact your Faculty to inform them of your situation.

    Please refrain from attempting to do your own contact tracing or provision of information to others at work beyond your supervisor; this is best left to SA Health in the unlikely event that a test comes back positive.

  • How do I arrange to get a COVID-19 vaccination?

    The COVID-19 vaccination program controlled by the Australian Government is being rolled out in a phased approach.

    Information on eligibility and current vaccination clinics around the state is available on the SA Government COVID-19 Vaccine webpage.

    Adelaide Unicare are an approved COVID-19 vaccination provider delivering the Astra Zeneca vaccine to eligible patients – this vaccination service is being offered every second Saturday at the University Health Practice on the North Terrace Campus – bookings essential.

  • Is the University going to run its own COVID-19 vaccination program?

    The University is unable to run a COVID-19 vaccination program as access to the vaccine is limited to government authorised vaccination clinics.

    However, the University Health Practice are a government authorised COVID-19 vaccination provider delivering the Astra Zeneca vaccine to eligible patients. The University Health Practice vaccination service on the North Terrace Campus is being offered every second Saturday – bookings essential. You can check if you are currently eligible on the SA Government COVID-19 Vaccine webpage.

  • What are the social distancing and room capacity requirements on campus?

    SA Health has confirmed that the University should abide by a 2sqm per person density requirement and that social distancing should be a ‘best endeavours’ approach.

    Teaching room capacities signposted across the campuses are based on the 2sqm per person density requirement. 

    Where a room with fixed furniture isn’t signposted it would usually be because the capacity is equal to the number of fixed seats available in the room.

    Where practical to do so you should try to achieve 1.5m distancing, however where this is not practical you are asked to use your best endeavours to distance as much as is practical.

    You may also contact your local HSW Team should you have any concerns or questions about COVID-safe practices in your area.

  • What are the distancing requirements in lifts?

    SafeWork guidance on lifts in relation to COVID-19 is that there is no specific limit on the number of people allowed in a lift.  SafeWork recognises the challenge that businesses and workers face if 1.5m distancing and a 2sq.m rule are applied.  SafeWork considers it reasonable that people can travel in a lift and be within 1.5m of each other, however they advise to have sufficient room so as not to physically touch another person and to allow for ease of access and egress.  Staff and students are asked to not over-crowd lifts and to use a best endeavours approach to ensure reasonable distancing in lifts.

  • Do I need to submit a COVID-Safe Plan or have a COVID Marshall?

    The University of Adelaide as an essential business is exempt to having to submit COVID-Safe plans to SA Health for any activity that forms part of our core business.

    Any activity that is reasonably part of our teaching, research or administrative activity falls under this exemption.  This includes activities that are designed to orientate our students, and meetings or gatherings related to our teaching or research activity. 

    University of Adelaide is not required to have COVID Marshalls as these are only required where COVID-Safe plans are in place.

    We are all required to follow good hygiene practices, to practice social distancing and to not attend the campus if unwell with COVID-19 symptoms until cleared via a COVID-19 test.

    Activities on our campuses that are not part of our core business do need to submit COVID-Safe Plans to SA Health and will be required to have COVID Marshalls – this includes things like commercial retail outlets on campus, hire out of University infrastructure for private functions or activities, and conferences and gatherings associated with external bodies or learned societies.

  • Is the University of Adelaide required to have COVID-SAfe QR codes for locations on campus?

    The University of Adelaide as an essential business is exempt to having to submit COVID-Safe plans to SA Health and therefore is not required to have COVID-SAfe QR codes. 

    Only activities that are not part of our core business need to submit COVID-Safe Plans to SA Health and are issued with a COVID-SAfe QR code in relation to that activity.

    This is why you will see COVID-SAfe QR codes at locations such as the UniBar.

  • I am experiencing stress or anxiety regarding the situation or my health and I would like to talk to someone.

    If you do not have any symptoms yourself and wish to speak to someone about your concerns please contact:

    If you are concerned you may have COVID-19, please please attend a testing clinic.

    If you have attended a testing clinic and have been required to isolate, please feel free to call the appropriate service for counselling support over the phone.

  • Where can I get accurate information about the world situation and the virus?

    The World Health Organisation is monitoring and managing this virus outbreak in conjunction with health authorities across the globe. You can access accurate information from the Department of Health  or the World Health Organisation .

  • What is the Government's travel advice for areas affected by COVID-19?

    All overseas travel is currently banned for Australians, with few exceptions. If you’re overseas, please see Smartraveller for the latest information.

  • What should I do if I have a question about travel insurance?

    If you have any travel insurance questions please go to our Travel Insurance FAQs.