Graduate Certificate in Biotechnology (Biomedical)
Begin your biomedical journey
Our six-month Graduate Certificate in Biotechnology (Biomedical) focuses on innovative techniques for disease prediction and treatment.
What will you do?
We introduce the full spectrum of the biotechnology sector, with a focus on research and its applications. You will:
- explore biotechnology’s discovery, research and development phases
- examine contemporary issues in the field—from compliance and regulation to commercialisation and risk management
- experiment with a range of technology platforms
- develop competitive laboratory, research and project management skills.
Where could it take you?
You’ll be at the cutting-edge of biotechnology, where major advances are influencing important issues such as vaccines, antibiotics and stem cell therapies. This program is most often used as a pathway to a grad dip, master, or PhD in biotechnology and biomedical science.
Choose your applicant type to view the relevant admissions information for this program.
I am a:
SATAC Code 3GC064 Intake February and July Enquiries Future Students teamGraduate entry
Higher Education Study A completed Bachelor's degree in an appropriate field of study of the University of Adelaide, or a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate field of study of another institution accepted by the Faculty for the purpose as equivalent.SATAC Code: 3GC064
CRICOS 072997J Intake February
English Language Requirements
Australian Year 12 Successful completion of an Australian year 12 qualification with a minimum pass in an accepted English language subject English Tests accepted by the University of Adelaide IELTS Overall 6.5 Reading 6 Listening 6 Speaking 6 Writing 6 TOEFL Overall 79 Reading 13 Listening 13 Speaking 18 Writing 21 Pearsons Overall 58 Reading 50 Listening 50 Speaking 50 Writing 50 Cambridge Overall 176 Reading 169 Listening 169 Speaking 169 Writing 169 Qualifications that meet minimum English requirements A range of alternative qualifications may meet the University’s minimum English requirements
Academic Entry Requirements
Tertiary Qualifications Bachelor degree of equivalent.
Fees and Scholarships
Choose your applicant type to view the relevant fees and scholarships information for this program.
I am a:
Tuition feesAustralian Full-fee place: $16,500 for 12 units
Tuition fees International student place: $20,250 for 12 units
These scholarships, as well as many others funded by industry and non-profit organisations, are available to potential and currently enrolled students.
Biotechnology is one of the fastest growing global industries, helping to develop better methods of diagnosis and treatment of a wide variety of diseases. There are very strong career opportunities for graduates, particularly those who possess strong laboratory skills combined with an understanding of research and product development.
The University of Adelaide Careers Service prepares, inspires and empowers students to achieve successful career transitions and connect with industry.
Graduate AttributesThe objective of this program is to produce graduates with specific attributes as outlined in University of Adelaide Graduate Attributes.
- Deep discipline knowledge
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Teamwork and communication skills
- Career and leadership readiness
- Intercultural and ethical competency
- Self-awareness and emotional intelligence
The Graduate Certificate is a 12-unit program of advanced coursework, including core courses and a range of electives.
Academic Program Rules
The Calendar is a comprehensive handbook of the University's academic program rules.
Example Study Plan
All candidates shall complete courses to the value of 12 units from the following:
- BIOTECH 7000 Advanced Research Platforms
- BIOTECH 7001 Drug Discovery and Development
- BIOTECH 7002 Stem Cells and Advanced Tissue Culture
- BIOTECH 7003 Advanced Research Techniques
- BIOTECH 7004 Molecular Microbiology and Vaccines
- BIOTECH 7005 Bioinformatics and Systems Modelling
- BIOTECH 7006 Biomarkers, Detection and Diagnostics
- BIOTECH 7030 Science Commercialisation & Innovation
- EDUC 7055 Research Communication
Exams, written and oral assignments and investigative projects; includes both individual and group participation.
The University of Adelaide is committed to regular reviews of the courses and programs it offers to students. The University of Adelaide therefore reserves the right to discontinue or vary programs and courses without notice. Please read the important information contained in the disclaimer.
Last updated: Thursday, 29 Aug 2019