Emeritus Professor Cliff Walsh
|Position||Emeritus Professor - Research Fellow|
|Org Unit||School of Economics|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 4860|
|Mobile||+61 4 3838 5857|
Nexus 10 Tower
I was born and educated in England. After completing Bachelor and Masters degrees at the London School of Economics, I came to Australia in 1969 on a PhD scholarship at the Australian National University. My principal career-track has been as an academic economist in the University system. However, I have also taken time-out to play numerous advisory roles in both the public and private sector and for international organisations.
I am currently Emeritus Professor of Economics at the University of Adelaide and a Visiting Research Fellow in the School of Economics. I recently completed a 5 year term as a Member of the quasi-judicial Australian Competition Tribunal which reviews, on appeal, decisions of Australia's competition regulator, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC).
My previous appointments include having been Professor of Economics at the University of Adelaide (1980-1988); Professor of Economics and Director of the Federalism Research Centre in the Research School of Social Sciences at Australian National University (1988-1992); and Professor of Economic Studies and Executive Director of the South Australian Centre for Economic Studies (SACES), a joint appointment at the University of Adelaide and the Flinders University of South Australia (1992-2001).
My academic research and publications have been principally in the fields of microeconomics; welfare economics; public sector economics and public policy more broadly; and intergovernmental economic, administrative and political relationships.
I have also undertaken project/consultancy research:
- for private sector organisations on, for example, business strategies and plans and approaches to infuencing public sector policies;
- for public sector organisations on the development and evaluation of economic, social and mental health policies and programs; and
- for international organisations on developing public sector policies and on shaping the institutions of government and governance, most especially for the European Commission (on completing economic and monetary union) and for the World Bank (on federal systems of government and the nature of intergovernmental relations).
In addition, I have undertaken numerous full-time and part-time roles in the Australian public sector, including:
- as a full-time advisor to a former Prime Minister and as a part-time advisor to State Premiers;
- as a member of a substantial number of Committees of Inquiry, at both Commonwealth and State levels, into a wide range of public policy issues; and
- as Associate Commissioner on several Productivity Commission Inquiries.
A Resume (attached) provides further details on these and other roles that I have played. A Full CV, which includes a list of all of my publications and all of my academic and other affiliations, is also attached.
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Wednesday, 15 Aug 2018
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/clifford.walsh