Dr Jo Zhou
|Org Unit||School of Agriculture, Food and Wine|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 2065|
Dr Zhou is a lecturer at the School of Agriculture, Food & Wine. She leads the Pregnancy and Early Childhood Nutrition Research Program in the Foodplus Research Centre, University of Adelaide. She is an affiliate Senior Research Fellow at the Women's & Children's Health Research Institute (WCHRI). Prior to completing her PhD in 2005, she was an obstetrician (qualified in China) and a clinical dietitian. Her research has been focused on nutrition interventions in pregnancy and early childhood to improve pregnancy outcomes and the long term health of mothers and children. Special research interests include fatty acid and micronutrients in health, strategies to enhance nutrtional quality of foods and translation of research findings to clinical practice /public health policy. Dr Zhou is a Chief Investigator on a number of competitive and industry grants of more than $8 million over the last 5 years. She is currently leading a multicentre study to investigate the effect of iodine nutrition in pregnancy on pregnancy outcomes and early childhood development. Together with collaborators at the WCHRI and the Foodplus Research Centre, her research team has been awarded $2.7 million from the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) to investigate the role of LCPUFA in the prevention of preterm birth commencing in 2013.
2005 PhD, University of Adelaide
1999 Master of Nutrition & Dietetics, Flinders University of South Australia
1996 BSc, Flinders University of South Australia
Selective Peer Reviewed Publications
- Zhou SJ, Yelland L, McPhee AJ, Quinlivan J, Gibson RA, Makrides M. Fish-oil supplementation in pregnancy does not reduce the risk of gestational diabetes or preeclampsia. Am J Clin Nutr. 2012 Jun;95(6):1378-84
- Skeaff S, Zhao Y, Gibson R, Makrides M, Zhou SJ. Iodine status in pre-school children prior to mandatory iodine fortification in Australia. Matern Child Nutr. 2012 May 29. doi: 10.1111/j.1740-8709.2012.00419.x. [Epub ahead of print]
- Zhou SJ, Gibson RA, Gibson RS, Makrides M. Dietary intake and nutritional of preschool children in Adelaide. Med J Aust. 2012;196(11):696-700 .
- Zhou SJ, Skeaff SA, Ryan P, Makrides M. Iodine deficiency in Australia: is iodine supplementation for pregnant and lactating women warranted? Med J Aust. 2010;193(5):310.
- Makrides M, Gibson RA, McPhee A, Yelland L, Quinlivan J, Ryan P and the DOMInO Investigative Team (including Zhou SJ). Effect of DHA supplementation during pregnancy on maternal depression and neurodevelopment of young children. JAMA 2010; 304 (15): 1675-1683.
- Zhou SJ, Gibson RA, Crowther CA and Makrides M. Should we lower the dose of iron when treating anaemia in pregnancy? A randomised dose response trial. EJCN. 2009; 63 (2):183 – 90.
- Parsons AG, Zhou SJ, Spurrier NJ and Makrides M. Effect of iron supplementation during pregnancy on the behavior of children at early school age: long-term follow-up of a randomized controlled trial. Br J Clin Nutr. 2008; 99 (5): 1133-9.
- Zhou SJ, Gibson RA and Makrides M. Routine iron supplementation in pregnancy has no effect on iron status of the children at 6 months and 4 years of age: a long term follow up of a randomised controlled trial. J Pediatr. 2007; 151 (4):438-440.
- Zhou SJ, Gibson RA, Baghurst P and Makrides M. Home environment, not breastfeeding or formula feeding, predicts intelligence quotient of children at 4 years. Nutrition; 2007; 23 (3): 236-241.
- Zhou SJ, Gibson RA, Crowther CA, Baghurst P, and Makrides M. Effect of iron supplementation during pregnancy on the intelligence quotient and behavior of children at 4 y of age: long-term follow-up of a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr; 2006; 83: 1112-1117.
- Zhou SJ, Schilling MJ, Makrides M. Evaluation of an iron specific checklist for the assessment of dietary iron intake in pregnant and postpartum women. Nutrition. 2005 Sep;21(9):908-13.
· Member of the Dietaitian Association of Australia, Accredited Practicing Dietitian
· Member of the Perinatal Society of Australia and New Zealand
· Member of the Nutrition Society of Australia
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Wednesday, 20 May 2020
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/jo.zhou