Associate Professor Matthew Worthley
|Org Unit||Medical Specialties|
|Telephone||+61 8 8222 2726|
RAH - McEwin Bldg
Royal Adelaide Hospital
Matthew Worthley completed his undergraduate medical training at the University of Adelaide in 1994, with his internal medicine and cardiology training at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital. Matthew was awarded his fellowship to the Royal Australasian College of Physicians in 2000 and completed his PhD at the University of Adelaide in 2005. He then travelled to Canada where for two years he underwent interventional cardiology training and further post-doc research in the area of vascular function in the coronary and cerebral circulation. For his post-doc research work he was a finalist for the 2006 Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics (TCT) Thomas J. Linnemeier Spirit of Interventional Cardiology Young Investigator Award.
He holds a recently appointed A/Prof title at the University of Adelaide and a position as an interventional cardiologist at the Royal Adelaide Hospital. He is actively involved in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching. He continues to attract independent funding for ongoing research in areas of vascular dynamic function, particularly in invasive studies assessing these changes in human coronary arteries. He supervises a number of honours and PhD students in this area of interest. His current position is supported by a 5 year SA Health Early to Mid Career Practitioner Fellowship awarded by the South Australian Government.
M.B.B.S University of Adelaide 1994
F.R.A.C.P Royal Australasian College of Physicians 2000
PhD University of Adelaide 2005
Awards & Achievements
Finalist: The Thomas J. Linnemeier Spirit of Interventional Cardiology Young Investigator Award, Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics (TCT), 2006. This award recognizes clinical and academic excellence in fellowship trainees in interventional vascular medicine, and stimulates future commitment and dedication to the dual tracks of patient care and academic investigation.
Finalist: Samuel A. Levine Young Clinical Investigator Award AHA 2003.
Worthley MI, Holmes AS, Willoughby SR, Kucia AM, Heresztyn T, Stewart S, Chirkov YY, Zeitz CJ, Horowitz JD. The deleterious effects of hyperglycemia on platelet function in diabetic patients with acute coronary syndrome: Mediation by superoxide production, resolution with intensive insulin administration. Annual Early Career Development Reception and Poster Session, AHA 2003.
Second Prize: 3rd National Registrars Competition 2001.
Worthley MI, Holmes AS, Zeitz CJ, Chirkov YY, Horowitz JD: Glycaemic control and associated platelet function in diabetic patients with a threatened myocardial infarction.
First prize: Higher Degree (clinical research) Research Day Queen Elizabeth Hospital 2002.
Worthley MI, Holmes AS, Zeitz CJ, Chirkov YY, Horowitz JD: Aggressive glycaemic control normalises platelet responsiveness to nitric oxide in diabetes with acute coronary syndromes.
First prize: Higher Degree (clinical research) Research Day Queen Elizabeth Hospital 2001.
Worthley MI, Holmes AS, Zeitz CJ, Chirkov YY, Horowitz JD: Glycaemic control and associated platelet function in diabetic patients presenting with a threatened myocardial infarction.
CI - NHMRC Partnership Project Grant
CI - NHMRC Project Grant
Tom Simpson Trust Fund Grant
5 Year SA Health Early to Mid Career Practitioner Fellowships
CSANZ/14th WCC Research Investigatorship
Cardio Vascular Lipid Research Grants
RAH/IMVS - Project Grants
Women's & Children's Hospital Foundation Research Project Grants
National Heart Foundation Grant-in-Aid
Cardio Vascular Lipid Research Grants
National Heart Foundation ‘J' Trust Fund
Mary Overton Award
Clive and Vera Ramaciotti Establishment Grant
Cardiovascular Research Foundation's Datascope TCT Travelling Scholarship
Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand Travelling Fellowship
JJ Billings Royal Australasian College of Physicians Research Fellowship
National Heart Foundation Scholarship
Queen Elizabeth Hospital Research Scholarship
Ide, K., M. Worthley, T.J. Anderson and M.J. Poulin. Effects of systemic administration of the nitric oxide synthase inhibitor L-NMMA on the ventilatory responses to hypoxia in humans. In: Integration in Respiratory Control- from Genes to Systems (Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology Series). Eds: M.J. Poulin and R.J.A. Wilson. Springer Publishers, New York. pp. 41-45, 2008.
Dundon B.K., Worthley M.I. Ch 16. Evaluation of Dyspnea. In: Cardiovacular Imaging for Clinical Practice. Eds: Nicholls S.J and Worthley S.G. Jones and Bartlett Publishers, Massachusetts. pp. 321-48, 2011.
Refereed Journal Articles 2013
1. Puri R, Nicholls SJ, Brennan DM, Andrews J, King KL, Liew GY, Carbone A, Copus B, Nelson AJ, Kapadia SR, Tuzcu M, Beltrame JF, Worthley SG, Worthley MI. Left Main Coronary Arterial Endothelial Function and Heterogenous Segmental Epicardial Vasomotor Reactivity In Vivo: Insights from Intravascular Ultrasounography. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. (submitted) 2013.
2. Lim HS, Willoughby SR, Schultz C, Chakrabarty A, Alasady M, Lau DH, Roberts-Thomson KC, Worthley MI, Young GD, Sanders P. Successful Catheter Ablation and Maintenance of Sinus Rhythm Decreases Platelet Activation and Improves Endothelial Function in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation. Eur Heart J (submitted) 2013.
3. Schultz CD, Lim HS, Fraudeau A, Young G, Roberts-Thomson K, Worthley MI, Sanders P, Willoughby SR. Characterization of thrombogenic, endothelial and inflammatory markers in supraventricular tachycardia: A study in patients with structurally normal heart. Europace (submitted) 2013.
4. Wong DTL, Leong DP, Weightman M, Richardson JD, Dundon BK, Psaltis PJ, Leung MCH, Meredith IT, Worthley MI, Worthley SG. Magnetic Resonance-Derived Circumferential Strain Provides a Superior and Incremental Assessment of Improvement in Contractile Function after ST-segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction. Eur Radiol (submitted) 2013.
5. Lim HS, Willoughby SR, Schultz C, Alasady M, Dang J, Gan C, Lau DH, Roberts-Thomson KC, Young GD, Worthley MI, Sanders P. Endothelial dysfunction and platelet activation in patients with atrial fibrillation: Importance of co-morbid conditions. J Am Coll Cardiol (submitted) 2013.
6. Alasady M, Abhayaratna WP, Pathak RK, Chia N, Mehta A, Mahajan R, Lim HS, Lau DH, Nicholls SJ, Worthley MI, Brooks AG, Sanders P. Impact of Coronary Artery Intervention on the Incidence and Prognosis of Atrial Fibrillation after Acute Myocardial Infarction: A Systematic Review. J Am Coll Cardiol (submitted) 2013.
7. Wong DT, Narayan O, Leong DP, Bertaso AG, Maia MG, Ko BSH, Baillie T, Seneviratne SK, Worthley MI, Meredith IT, Cameron JD. Severe aortic stenosis is associated with increased proximal aortic stiffness: A cardiac computed tomography study. J Am Coll Cardiol - Cardiovasc Imag (submitted) 2013.
8. Puri R, Nicholls SJ, Brennan DM, Andrews J, Liew GY, Carbone A, Copus B, Nelson AJ, Kapadia SR, Tuzcu M, Beltrame JF, Worthley SG, Worthley MI. Coronary Athermoa Composition and its Association with Segmental Endothelial Dysfunction in Non-ST Segment Myocardial Infarction: Novel Insights with Radiofrequency (iMAP) Intravascular Ultrasonography. Circ - Cardiovasc Imag (submitted) 2013.
9. Astley C, Arstall MA, Aylward PE, Beltrame JF, Coates P, Dunn R, Grantham H, Quinn S, Worthley MI, Zeitz CJ, Chew DP. Embracing High-sensitivity Troponin Effectively: The Value of more Information: A Randomized Comparison. Am Heart J (submitted) 2013.
10. Willoughby SR, Luu L-J, Cameron JD, Nelson AJ, Worthley SG, Worthley MI. Clopidogrel improves microvascular endothelial function in subjects with stable coronary artery disease. Heart Lung Circ (submitted) 2013.
11. Azarisman SM, Wong DT, Richardson JD, Li A, Chua KS, Nelson AJ, Shirazi M, Bradley J, Teo K, Worthley MI, Worthley SG. Evaluation of Mitral Inflow Velocity Profile: Optimal Planimetry Location for Diastolic Function Assessment with Cardiac Magnetic Resonance. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson (submitted) 2013.
12. Li A, Azarisman SM, Sidharta A, Glenie T, Samaraie L, Teo K, Worthley MI, Worthley SG. Intra-cardiac mass in a setting of primary large cell carcinoma of the lung: The superior value of CMR in aiding tissue characterisation. Circ Imaging (submitted) 2013.
13. Lim HS, Schultz C, Dang J, Alasady M, Lau DH, Brooks AG, Wong CX, Roberts-Thomson KC, Young GD, Worthley MI, Sanders P, Willoughby SR. Time Course of Inflammation, Myocardial Injury and Prothrombotic Response Following Radiofrequency Catheter Ablation for Atrial Fibrillation. J Am Coll Cardiol (submitted) 2013.
14. Dundon BK, Torpey DK, Nelson AJ, Wong DTL, Duncan RF, Meredith IT, Faull RJ, Worthley SG, Worthley MI. Beneficial Cardiovascular Remodeling following Arterio-Venous Fistula Ligation post Renal Transplantation: A longitudinal magnetic resonance imaging study. Nephrol Dial Transplant (submitted) 2013.
15. Dundon BK, Torpey DK, Nelson AJ, Wong DTL, Duncan RF, Meredith IT, Faull RJ, Worthley SG, Worthley MI. The Deleterious effects of Arterio-Venous Fistula Creation on the Cardiovascular system: A longitudinal magnetic resonance imaging study. Am J Kidney Dis (submitted) 2013.
16. Jolly SS, Cairns J, Yusuf S, Niemela K, Steg PG, Worthley M, Ferrari E, Cantor WJ, Fung A, Valettas N, Rokoss M, Olivecrona G, Widimsky P, Cheema AN, Gao P, Mehta SR. Procedural Volume and Outcomes with Radial or Femoral access for coronary intervention. J Am Coll Cardiol (in press) 2013.
17. Wong DTL, Puri R, Psaltis PJ, Worthley SG, Worthley MI. Acute Myocardial Infarction - Evolution of Treatment Strategies. World Journal of Cardiovascular Diseases (in press) 2013.
18. Richardson JD, Psaltis PJ, Frost L, Paton S, Carbone A, Bertaso AG, Nelson AJ, Wong DTL, Worthley MI, Gronthos S, Zannettino ACW, Worthley SG. Incremental Benefits of Repeated Mesenchymal Stromal Cell Administration Compared to Solitary Intervention after Myocardial Infarction. Cytotherapy (in press) 2013.
19. Puri R, Leong DP, Nicholls SJ, Liew GYL, Nelson AJ, Carbone A, Copus B, Wong DT, Beltrame JF, Worthley SG, Worthley MI. Coronary artery wall shear stress is associated with endothelial dysfunction and expansive arterial remodelling in patients with coronary artery disease. Eurointervention (in press) 2013.
20. Rao N, Worthley MI, Disney P, Faull R. Dramatic improvement in decompensated right heart failure due to severe tricuspid regurgitation following ligation of arteriovenous fistula in a renal transplant recipient. Semin Dial (in press) 2013.
21. Li A, Azarisman SM, Teo K, Worthley MI, Sidharta S, Glenie T, Samaraie L, Chua SK, Worthley SG. The Innocent Bystander: Papillary Fibroelastoma. Am J Med 2013;126(11):964-5.
22. Richardson JD, Bertaso AG, Frost L, Psaltis PJ, Carbone A, Koschade B, Wong DT, Nelson AJ, Paton S, Williams K, Azarisman S, Worthley MI, Teo KS, Gronthos S, Zannettino ACW, Worthley SG. Cardiac magnetic resonance, transthoracic and transoesophageal echocardiography: a comparison of in vivo assessment of ventricular function in rats. Lab Anim 2013;47(4):291-300.
23. Puri R, Nicholls SJ, Brennan DM, Nissen SE, Andrews J, Liew GYL, Nelson AJ, Carbone A, Copus B, Tuzcu M, Beltrame JF, Worthley SG, Worthley MI. Coronary Arterial Plaque Burden and Endothelium-Dependent Vasoreactivity in Subjects with Normal Coronary Arteries and Acute Coronary Syndromes: An Intravascular Ultrasound Study. Circ - Cardiovasc Imag 2013;6:674-82.
24. Wong DTL, Richardson J, Puri R, Worthley MI, Worthley SG. Myocardial ‘No-Reflow'-Diagnosis, pathophysiology and treatment. Int J Cardiol 2013;167(5):1798-806.
25. Bertaso AG, Richardson JD, Wong DTL, Cunnington MS, Nelson AJ, Tayeb H, Williams K, Chew DP, Worthley MI, Worthley SG. Prognostic value of adenosine stress perfusion cardiac MRI in intermediate cardiovascular risk population. Int J Cardiol 2013;167(5):2055-60.
26. Alasady M, Shipp NJ, Brooks AG, Lim HS, Lau DH, Barlow D, Kuklik P, Worthley MI, Roberts-Thomson KC, Saint DA, Abhayaratna W, Sanders P. Myocardial infarction and atrial fibrillation: Importance of atrial ischemia. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol 2013;6:738-45.
27. Worthley SG, Tsioufis CP, Worthley MI, Sinhal A, Chew DP, Meredith IT, Malaiapan Y, Papademetriou V. Safety and Efficacy of a Multi-Electrode Renal Sympathetic Denervation System in Resistant Hypertension: The EnligHTN I Trial. Eur Heart J 2013;34(28):2132-40.
28. Wong CX, Sun MT, Lau DH, Leong DP, Brooks AG, Sullivan T, Worthley MI, Roberts-Thomson KC, Sanders P. Nationwide Trends in the Incidence of Acute Myocardial Infarction in Australia, 1993-2010. Am J Cardiol 2013;112(2):169-73.
29. Lim HS, Willoughby SR, Schultz C, Gan C, Alasady M, Lau DH, Leong DP, Brooks AG, Young GD, Kistler PM, Kalman JM, Worthley MI, Sanders P. Effect of Atrial Fibrillation on Atrial Thrombogenesis in the Humans: Impact of Rate and Rhythm. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013; 61(8):852-60.
30. Richardson JD, Bertaso AG, Psaltis PJ, Carbone A, Paton S, Nelson AJ, Wong DT, Worthley MI, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC, Worthley SG. Impact of timing and dose of mesenchymal stromal cell therapy in a preclinical model of acute myocardial infarction. J Card Fail 2013;19(5):342-53.
31. Wong DTL, Bertaso A, Liew G, Thomson V, Cunnington M, Richardson J, Kourlis G, Lorraine B, Worthley MI, Worthley SG. Relationship of aortic annular eccentricity and paravalvular regurgitation post transcatheter aortic valve implantation with Core Valve. J Invasive Cardiol 2013;25(4): 190-5.
32. Sidharta S, Sajeev, Nelson A, Cooke J, Worthley M. Stress-induced cardiomyopathy: a review of the literature and possible link to cerebral executive function. Prim Care Companion CNS Disord (in press) 2013.
33. Richardson JD, Cunnington MS, Nelson AJ, Bradley JA, Teo KS, Worthley SG, Worthley MI. Like a House Afire: Cardiac Sarcoidosis. Am J Med 2013;126(1):21-4.
The Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand
Associate Member 1998-2004
Fellow 2005- current
South Australian Branch Secretary 2009-2013
South Australian Representative on Interventional Council 2009-
Royal Australasian College of Physicians, Fellow 2000-
American College of Cardiology, Fellow 2007-
Australian Medical Association, Member 2009-
Heart Foundation CSANZ, SA Branch Board, Member 2011
Australian Association of Consultant Physicians, Member 2011-
Royal College of Physicians, Fellow 2013-
International Journal Reviewer:
Journal of the American College of Cardiology
European Journal of Clinical Investigation
Canadian Journal of Cardiology
Journal of Invasive Cardiology
Trends in Cardiovascular Medicine
Journal of Interventional Cardiology
Postgraduate Medical Journal
Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology
Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases
Obesity: Research and Clinical Practice
European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation
American Journal of Cardiology
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Monday, 18 Dec 2017
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/matthew.worthley