Dr Md Julker Nine
|Org Unit||School of Chemical Engineering and Advanced Materials|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 5056|
|Mobile||+61 4 4987 7183|
Dr. Md J. Nine is an early-career research fellow based in ARC Research Hub for Graphene Enabled Industry Transformation, University of Adelaide, Australia. After finishing bachelor’s degree from Khulna University of Engineering & Technology, Bangladesh in 2009, he worked under Second Phase of Brain Korea21 (BK21) and received Master of Engineering degree from Gyeongsang National University, South Korea in 2012. In 2017, he was conferred his PhD degree on “Graphene based multifunctional coatings” from School of Chemical Engineering, University of Adelaide, Australia.
Dr. Nine’s current research interests involves colloids and interfaces science for synthesis and application of multifunctional inks and coatings based on graphene and graphene like 2D materials. The applications of coatings are not limited to self-cleaning, corrosion resistant, fire-retardant, acoustic insulation, anti-bacterial, radiation shielding and sensing.
He was awarded Doctoral Research Medal as well as Postgraduate Alumni University Medal for outstanding research at PhD level in University of Adelaide. He was also awarded Carbon Journal prize-2018 for an outstanding PhD thesis in carbon materials science and technology. His PhD works generated three intellectual properties (IPs) on graphene technology and one of them was licenced to an industry. He has published more than 35 scientific journal papers, 3 patents, 2 book chapters, >15 conference presentation in the area of colloids and interfaces including graphene and other carbon nanomaterials.
- Ph.D in Engineering, School of Chemical Engineering, The University of Adelaide, Australia, (February, 2014 - Dec 2017).
- M.Eng., Mechanical and Precision Engineering, Gyeongsang National University, Korea, (March, 2010 - February, 2012).
- B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering, Khulna University of Engineering
and Technology (KUET), Khulna-6204, Bangladesh, (March, 2005 to March,
Awards & Achievements
Awards & Prizes
- Postgraduate Alumni University Medal-2018 with a Cash Prize of $500. (Awarded to graduating postgraduate for outstanding academic merit), The University of Adelaide, SA.
- Selected to play honorable "Role of the Mace Bearer" in Graduation Ceremony as part of the Academic Procession, April/May 2018. The University of Adelaide, SA.
- University Doctoral Research Medal, 2017 awarded for outstanding research at PhD level. The University of Adelaide, SA.
- Dean's Commendation for Doctoral thesis Excellence -December 2017, The University of Adelaide, SA.
- ARC Grant-funded Supplementary Scholarship -2016/2017 (Stipend Valu $10,000 (per annuam))
- Adelaide Scholarship International (ASI) -2014 for Higher Degree Program in The University of Adelaide, SA.
- Dean Award-2012, Award for The 6th Young Pioneer Researchers, Gyeongsang National University, South Korea.
- "BK21" Scholarship -2010, awarded by Second Phase Brain Korea21 (BK21) Project for Higher Degree Program in Gyeongsang National University, South Korea.
DVCR Interdisciplinary Research Funding Scheme 2017, The University of Adelaide - AUD 85,000 (project commencing 2018) Title: Advanced composite materials containing graphene micro-inclusions for underwater acoustic application
- Coatings and Thin Films
- Surface Chemistry and topography
- Nanostructured materials
- Heat and mass Transfer
- From August. 2017 to Present: Post Doctoral Research Fellow, ARC Research Hub for Graphene Enabled Industry Transformation, The University of Adelaide, Australia.
- From Feb. 2014 to August. 2017: Research Scholar, School of Chemical Engineering, The University of Adelaide, Australia.
- From Feb. 2013 to Dec. 2013: Research Assistantship, High Impact Research (HIR) Grant, Malaysia.
- From Mar. 2010 to Dec. 2012: Research & Teaching Assistantship, Thermal & Fluid Research Group, Gyeongsang National University (GNU), South Korea.
- Coatings and Thin Films
Patent Applications (Filed)
3. Md J. Nine, Md Ayub, Anthony C. Zander, Benjamin S. Cazzolato, D. Losic, Acoustic Graphene-Containing Compositions/Materials and Methods of Formation, Australian Provisional Patent Application No. 2017900697; International Application No.: PCT/AU2018/050185
2. Md J. Nine, Diana N. H. Tran, D. Losic, Multipurpose Graphene-Based Composite, Australian Provisional Patent Application No. 2016903662; International Application Number: PCT/AU20 17/050990
1. Md J. Nine, Diana N. H. Tran, D. Losic, Graphene-based composite flame retardants, Australian Provisional Patent Application No. 2016903663; International Application Number: PCT/AU20 17/050989
2. Md J. Nine, T.T. Tung, D. Losic, Self-assembly of Graphene Derivatives: Methods, Structures and Applications, Reference Module in Chemistry, Molecular Sciences and Chemical Engineering, Comprehensive Supramolecular Chemistry II, Elsevier, 2017, Pages 47–74. [Chapter Download Link]
1. Md J. Nine, Diana N. H. Tran, Martin A. Cole, Dusan Losic, Application of Graphene in Coating Industry: Current Progress and Future Prospects, Handbook of Modern Coating Technologies, VOL 4, Elsevier [In Press]
ISI Journal Publications
37. Md J. Nine, Shervin Kabiri, Achia K. Sumona, Mohammad Moussa, Dusan Losic, Biodegradable fiber-netwrok with olephilicity and hydrophobicity for continuous oil-water separation and dye adsorption,…….., 00 (2018) 00-00 [Under preparation]
36. Md Ayub, Md J. Nine, Anthony C. Zander, Benjamin S. Cazzolato, Dusan Losic, Carl Q. Howard, David M. Huang, Analysis of acoustical characteristics of graphene assisted lamella structure of composite foams, …….., 00 (2018) 00-00 [Under preparation]
35. Faisal Alotaibi, Tran Tung,Md J. Nine, Cambell Coghlan, Dusan Losic, Silver Nanowires with Pristine Graphene Oxidation Barriers for Stable and High Performance Transparent Conductive Films, ACS Applied Nano Materials, 00 (2018) 00-00 [SUBMITTED]
34. M. Batmunkh, A. Shresta, M. Bat-Erdene, Md J. Nine, Cameron J. Shearer, Christopher T. Gibson, Ashley D. Slattery, Sherif A. Tawfik,e Michael J. Ford, Shizhang Qiao, Sheng Dai, Joseph G. Shapter, Electrocatalytic activity of ultrathin 2D phosphorene based heteroelectrocatalyst for photoelectrochemical cells, Angewandte Chemie, 130 (2018) 1-5. [Download]
33. Md J. Nine, Shervin Kabiri, Tran Thanh Tung, Diana NH Tran, Dusan Losic, Electrostatic powder coatings of pristine graphene: a new approach for coating of granular and fibril substrates, Applied Surface Science, 441 (2018) 187-193. [Download]
32. T. T. Tung, Faisal Alotaibi, Md J. Nine, Rifat Silva, Diana N. H. Tran, Dusan Losic, Engineering of highly conductive and ultra-thin nitrogen-doped graphene films by ultrasonic spraying, Chemical Engineering Journal, 338 (2018) 764-773. [Download]
31. Faisal Alotaibi, Tran T. Tung, Md J. Nine, S. Kabiri, Mahmoud Moussa, Diana N. H. Tran, Dusan Losic, Scanning Atmospheric Plasma for Ultrafast Reduction of Graphene Oxide and Preparation of Broad Range of Highly Conductive Graphene Films, Carbon, 127 (2017) 113-121.[Download]
30. Md J. Nine, Md Ayub, Anthony C. ZANDER, Diana NH Tran, Benjamin S. Cazzolato, Dusan Losic, Graphene based lamella network for enhanced sound absorption, Advanced Functional Materials, (00) (2017) 1703820 [Download]
29. Tran Thanh Tung, Md J. Nine, Melinda Krezb, Tibor Parsinszki, Campbell J. Coghlan, Diana N. H. Tran, Dusan Losic, Progress in Assemblies of Graphene and its Composite for advanced Sensor Applications, Advanced Functional Materials, (00) (2017) 1702891 [Download]
28. Md J. Nine, Diana N. H. Tran, Tran Thanh Tung, Shervin Kabiri, Dusan Losic, Graphene borate as an efficient fire retardant for cellulosic materials with multiple and synergetic modes of action, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 9 (11) (2017) 10160–10168 [DOWNLOAD]
27. Md J. Nine, Diana N. H. Tran, Ahmed ElMekawy, Dusan Losic, Interlayer growth of borates for highly adhesive graphene coatings with enhanced abrasion resistance, fire-retardant and antibacterial performance, Carbon, 117 (2017) 252–262 [Download]
26. Md J. Nine, Tran Thanh Tung, Faisal Alotaibi, Diana N. H. Tran, Dusan Losic, Facile Adhesion-Tuning of Superhydrophobic Surfaces between "Lotus" and "Petal" Effect and Their Influence on Icing and Deicing Properties, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 9 (9) (2017) 8393–8402 [Download]
25. Tran Thanh Tung, Jeongha Yoo, Faisal K Alotaibi, Md J. Nine, Ramesh Karunagaran, Melinda Krebsz, Giang T Nguyen, Diana NH Tran, Jean-Francois Feller, Dusan Losic, Graphene oxide-assisted liquid phase exfoliation of graphite into graphene for highly conductive film and electromechanical sensors, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 8 (25) (2016) 16521-16532 [Download]
24. Md J. Nine, Martin A. Cole, Lucas Johnson, Diana N. H. Tran, Dusan Losic, A robust superhydrophobic graphene based composite coatings with self-cleaning and barrier properties, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 7 (51) (2015) 28482–28493 [Download]
23. Md J. Nine, Martin A. Cole, D.N.H. Tran, D. Losic, Graphene: A Multipurpose Material for Protective Coatings, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 3 (24) (2015) 12580-12602 [Download] Themed as Hot paper 2015
21. B. Munkhbayar, Md. Riyad Tanshen, Md J. Nine, H. Rehman, S. Hwang, Heekyu Choi, Hanshik Chung, Hyomin Jeong, Thermal conductivity of TiO2 nanoparticles based aqueous nanofluids with an addition of a highly modified Ag particle, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 53 (20) (2014) 8445–8451 [Download]
20. Md J. Nine, Md. Riyad Tanshen, B. Munkhbayar, Han-Shik Chung, Hyo-Min Jeong, Analysis of Pressure Fluctuations to Evaluate Thermal Performance of Oscillating Heat Pipe, Energy 70 (2014) 135-142 [Download]
16. H. S. Chung, G. H. Lee, Md J. Nine, Kangyoul Bae, H. M. Jeong, Study on The Thermal and Flow Characteristics on the periodically arranged semi-circular ribs in a rectangular channel, Experimental Heat Transfer, 27 (2014) 56-71 [Download]
15. Md J. Nine, B. Munkhbayar, Hanshik Chung, Hyomin Jeong, Effects of Macro and Micro Roughness in Forced Convective Heat Transfer, International Communication in Heat and Mass Transfer, 50 (2014) 77–84 [Download]
14. Md. Riyad Tanshen, B. Munkhbayar, Md J. Nine, Hanshik Chung, Hyomin Jeong, Effect of functionalized MWCNTs/water nanofluids on thermal resistance and pressure fluctuation characteristics in oscillating heat pipe, International Communication in Heat and Mass Transfer, 4 (2013) 93–98 [Download]
13. Md. Riyad Tanshen, Md J. Nine, Daechul Lee, Youngho Park, Hanshik Chung, Hyomin Jeong, The Effect of Nanofluids and Angular Orientation on Pressure and Thermal Characteristics performance of Oscillating Heat Pipe, Nanosci. Nanotechnol. Lett. 5 (12) (2013) 1266-1273 [Download]
12. Hafizur Rehman, Md J. Nine, Handry Afrianto, J. H Kim, Hanshik Chung, Hyomin Jeong, Experimental And Numerical Analysis of Convective Heat Transfer of Alumina Nanofluids Under Laminar Flow Regime, J. Comput. Theor. Nanosci. 10 (2013) 2305-2311 [Download]
10. Md J. Nine, B. Munkhbayar, M. Sq. Rahman, Hanshik Chung, Hyomin Jeong, “Highly Productive Synthesis Process of Well Dispersed Cu2O and Cu/Cu2O Nanoparticles”, Mater. Chem. Phys. 141 (2013) 636-642 [Download]
09. B. Munkhbayar, Md J. Nine, Jinseong Jeoun, Myoungkuk Ji, Hanshik Chung, Hyomin Jeong, Synthesis of a graphene–tungsten composite with improved dispersibility of graphene in an ethanol solution and its use as a counter electrode for dye-sensitised solar cells, Journal of Power Sources, 230 (2013) 207–217 [Download]
08. M. Nuim Labib, Md J. Nine, Handry Afrianto, Hanshik Chung, Hyomin Jeong, “Numerical Investigation on Effect of Base Fluids and Hybrid Nanofluid in Forced Convective Heat Transfer, International Journal of Thermal Science, 71 (2013)163–171 [Download]
07. B. Munkhbayar, Md J. Nine, Jinseong Jeoun, Munkhjargal Bat-Erdene, Hanshik Chung, Hyomin Jeong, Influence of dry and wet ball milling on dispersion characteristics of the multi-walled carbon nanotubes in aqueous solution with and without surfactant, Powder Technology, 234 (2013)132–140 [Download]
06. Kuerbanjiang Wusiman, Md J. Nine, Kelimu Tulugan, Handry Afrianto, Yoon sub Eom, Hyomin Jeong, Hanshik Chung, Experimental study of convective heat transfer of Cu/water nanofluid in different flow regimes, Nanosci. Nanotechnol. Lett. 5 (3) (2013) 321-328 [Download]
05. Md J. Nine, Munkhbayar Batmunkh, Jun-Hyo Kim, Han-Shik Chung, Hyo-Min Jeong, Investigation of Al2O3-MWCNTs Hybrid Dispersion in Water and Their Thermal Characterization, J. Nanosci. Nanotechnol. 12, 06 (2012) 4553–4559. [Download]
04. B. Munkhbayar, Md J. Nine, Seunghwa Hwang, Junhyo Kim, Kangyoul Bae, Hanshik Chung, Hyomin Jeong, Effect of grinding speed changes on dispersibility of the treated multi-walled carbon nanotubes in aqueous solution and its thermal characteristics, Chem. Eng. Process. 61 (2012) 36-41 [Download]
03. Md J. Nine, Hafizur Rehman, Han-Shik Chung, Kangyoul Bae, Hyo-Min Jeong, Effect of Ultrasonic Action on Al2O3/Water Dispersion and Thermal Characterization with Convective Heat Transfer performance, Nanosci. Nanotechnol. Lett. 4 (08) (2012) 827-834 [Download]
02. Md J. NINE, GyeongHwan LEE, HanShik CHUNG, Myoungkuk JI, Hyomin JEONG, “Turbulence and Pressure Drop Behaviors Around Semicircular Ribs in a Rectangular Channel”, Thermal Science, 18 (2012) 419-430 [Download]
01. PARK Yong-ho, Md. Riyad Tanshen, Md J. Nine, CHUNG Han-shik, JEONG Hyo-min, Characterizing pressure fluctuation into single-loop oscillating heat pipe, J. Cent. South Univ. 19, 09 (2012) 2578–2583. [Download]
14. Md J. Nine, Md Ayub, Anthony C. Zander, Diana N.H. Tran, Benjamin S. Cazzolato, Dusan losic, Graphene Based High-performance Sound Absorbers, The 8th edition of the largest European Conference & Exhibition in Graphene & 2D materials (Graphene2018) June 26-29, 2018, Dresden, Germany.
13. Md J. Nine, Md Ayub, Anthony C. Zander, Diana N.H. Tran, Benjamin S. Cazzolato, Dusan Losic, Self-assembled Graphene based Lamella Network for Enhanced Sound Absorption, International Conference on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICONN) 29 Jan -2 Feb 2018, Wollongong, NSW, Australia
12. Md J. Nine, Diana N. H. Tran, Campbell Coghlan, Andy Goodwin, Dusan Losic, Graphene composites toward development of new generation fireretardant coatings, International conference on Eco-friendly Flame Retardant Additives and Materials (ECOFRAM)- Metz, 28-29th March 2018, France.
11. Md J. Nine, Diana N. H. Tran, Dusan Losic, Effect of solvent chemisorption on wettability and self-assembly of graphene, Carbon 2017, 23-28 July 2017, Melbourne, Australia.
10. Md J. Nine, Diana N. H. Tran, Ahmed ElMekawy, Dusan Losic, Multifunctional graphene coatings with enhanced abrasion resistance, fire-retardant and antibacterial properties, The 7th edition of the largest European Conference & Exhibition in Graphene & 2D materials (Graphene2017) March 28-31, 2017, Barcelona, Spain.
09. D. Losic, D. N.H. Tran, S. Kabiri, I. Andjelkovic, Md J. Nine, M. Krebsz, et al., Engineering of three-dimensional porous graphene materials with tailored micro-/nano architecture for environmental applications, Grapchina 2015, International graphene conference Qingdao 28-30 Oct 2015.
08. Md J. Nine, Diana N. H. Tran, Ahmed ElMekawy, Tung Tran, Dusan Losic, Graphene high performance multifunctional composites for environmental protective coatings, Grapchina-2016, International graphene conference Qingdao 2016, September 22-24.
07. Md J. Nine, Kim Jun Hyo, Han-Shik Chung, Hyo-Min Jeong, Investigation of Alumina-MWCNT Combined Dispersion into Water and Thermal Characterization, 8th KSME - JSME, Thermal and Fluid Engineering Conference, March 18-21, 2012, Incheon, Korea, Paper no. GST15-01606. Md J. Nine, Md. A. A. Mamun, AKM Nazrul Islam, Hyo-min Jeong, Effects of Roughness Height in Forced Convective Heat Transfer: Macro to Micro Roughness, International Conference on Mechanical, Industrial and Energy Engineering 01-02 February, 2013, Khulna, BANGLADESH. Paper no. MIE 12-03205. Md J. Nine, Hanshik Chung, Hyomin Jeong, Experimental Investigation of Convective Heat Transfer Characteristics for Composite Nanofluid of MWCNT and Al2O3/Water in a Circular Tube, Proceedings of International Conference on Air-Conditioning & Refrigeration 2011, July 6-8, 2011, Yongpyong Resort, Gangwon-Do, Korea, Page no. 323 - 32704. Md. Riyad Tanshen, Md J. Nine, Young Gun Kim, Han-Shik Chung, Hyo-Min Jeong, Study Pressure Characteristics with Heat Transfer inside Oscillating Heat Pipe, Proceeding of International Conference on Fluid and Thermal Energy Conversion, September 24-27, 2011, Zhengzhou, China, pp. 80-87
03. Md J Nine, BoHan Kim, Jun Hyo Kim, Han-Shik Chung, Hyo-Min Jeong, Experimental Study on Combined Dispersion of Alumina/ MWCNT in Water and Investigation of Convective Heat Transfer Performance, Proceeding of The 7th International Conference on Fluid and Thermal Energy Conversion, September 24-27, 2011, Zhengzhou, China, pp. 88-95
02. Gyeonghwan Lee, Md J. Nine, SoonHo Choi, ChanKyu Lee, Hyomin Jeong, HanShik Chung, Numerical Analysis of Turbulent Flow in a Channel with Periodic Semi-Circular Ribs, 5th International Conference on Cooling and Heating Technologies, Bandung, Indonesia 9-11 December 2010 , pp. 069-1 to 069- 8
01. Md J. Nine, G. H. Lee, H. S. Chung, H. M. Jeong, Experimental Study on Turbulence and Pressure Characteristics about Heat Transfer Enhancement Creating Artificial Roughness, 5th International Conference on Cooling and Heating Technologies, Bandung, Indonesia 9-11 December 2010, pp. 073-1 to 073- 8
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Thursday, 23 May 2019
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/mdjulker.nine