Dr Melissa Cantley
|Position||NHMRC Early Career Research Fellow|
|Org Unit||Medical Sciences|
|Telephone||+61 8 8128 4694|
SAHMRI - South
BHlthSc (Hons) PhD
In 2006, Melissa completed a Bachelor of Health Sciences at the University of Adelaide followed by Honours (First Class) in Pathology in 2007. To expand on her knowledge in the area of localized pathological bone loss she worked as an NHMRC funded Research Assistant for two years. During this time Melissa helped establish a number of animal models of pathogenic bone loss, including periodontitis, rheumatoid arthritis and peri-implant osteolysis. Additional to this she optimized quantitative methods to assess bone loss using live micro CT scanning.
Melissa completed her PhD (October 2013) within the Discipline of Anatomy and Pathology, School of Medical Sciences at the University of Adelaide with the support of an Australian Postgraduate Award. Her research was undertaken in the Bone and Joint Laboratory with the supervision of Associate Professor David Haynes and Professor Mark Bartold. The overall aim of her PhD project was to investigate novel treatments of localized bone loss in chronic inflammatory diseases such as periodontitis, rheumatoid arthritis and prosthetic osteolysis.
In 2013 and 2014 Melissa worked as the Research Projects Coordintor, and Learning and Teaching Support Officer in the School of Medical Sciences. Melissa commenced her NHMRC Peter Doherty Early Career Fellowship in June 2014 under the supervision and mentorship of Professor Andrew Zannettino. Dr Cantley is now applying her extensive bone biology knowledge and experience to the area of the haematological malignancy multiple myeloma. She is focussing on understanding bone changes and their role in progression from pre-malignancy to active myeloma.
2013 University of Adelaide, BHlthSc (Hons) PhD
2007 University of Adelaide, BHlthSc Honours in Pathology (First Class)
2006 University of Adelaide, BHlthSc Majors: Pharmacology and Pathology
Awards & Achievements
Awards and Achievements
2015 South Australian 2015 Young Tall Poppy Winner
2014 ASMR Domestic Research Award ($2000)
2011 and 2014 ASMR Ross Wishart Memorial Award finalist
2013 Dean’s commendation for Doctoral Thesis Excellence
2012 ANZBMS Best of the best poster as part of (AHMRC)
2011 and 2012 SA Branch ARA Philip Alpers Award for Best Basic Science Presentation
2012 Fresh Science State and National Finalist
2012 Best PhD Presentation, ANZORs Annual Scientific Meeting (2012)
2010 and 2012 First prize in the PhD category for oral presentation at Dental Research Day
2011 ASBMR President’s Poster Competition Award (2011)
2011 FHS Postgraduate Research Conference – School Certificate of best poster
2011 FHS 3 Minute These Finalist
2010 Health Sciences Postgraduate Expo Certificate of Best Poster Presentation
2010 Quality in Postgraduate Research Conference Scholarship to attend meeting in Adelaide
2010-2012 Australian Postgraduate Award
2006 Dean’s certificate of merit for outstanding achievement BHlthSc
2011 and 2013 ANZBMS Travel Award to attend Annual Scientific Meeting
2013 Australian Rheumatology Association (ARA) National Education Travel Grant
2012 School of Medical Sciences Domestic Travel Award
2012 ANZBMS Travel Award to attend Annual Scientific Meeting
2010 and 2012 ANZORS Travel Award to attend Annual Scientific Meeting
2011 Faculty of Health Sciences Postgraduate Traveling Fellowship
2011 BUPA University wide Postgraduate Travel Award
2011 School of Medical Sciences Postgraduate Travel Award
- Regulation of bone loss by targeting Histone Deacetylases in periodontitis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Effects of novel Histone Deacetylase Inhibitors on myeloma bone disease.
- Understanding the role of the bone microenvironment in the progression of pre-malignancies monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS) and smouldering myeloma to active myeloma. Identifying bone biomarkers of those patients at high risk of progression to myeloma.
Fellowships and Scholarships
Cantley MD NHMRC Peter Doherty Early Career Fellowship. The effect of histone deacetylase inhibitors on the bone environment in multiple myeloma. ($304,596) (2014-2021).
Cantley MD School of Medical Sciences ‘Kick Start’ Grant Funding $24,950 (2014)
Cantley MD. Group of Eight (G08) supported Fellowship to attend the 64th Lindau Nobel Laureate Meeting June/July $6000 (2014)
Cantley MD. University of Adelaide Fellowship to attend Science in the Dome Event May $500 (2014)
Cantley MD Australian Postgraduate Award ($67,500) (2010-2012)
Cantley MD, Haynes DR, Bartold PM, Marino V. Australian Dental Research Foundation Grant, The role of acetylation and Histone Deacetylase 1 (HDAC1) in the relationship between periodontitis and rheumatoid arthritis ($12,762) (2015)
Algate K, Cantley MD, Haynes DR, Bartold PM, Australian Dental Research Foundation Grant, The Effects of Resolvins and Lipoxins on Inflammation Associated Human Osteoclast and Osteoblast activity in vitro ($10,000) (2015)
Haynes DR, Bartold PM, Cantley MD (CIC), NHMRC Project Grant, HDAC 1 and HDAC 5 in periodontitis, ($518,901) (2014-2017).
Cantley MD, Haynes DR, Bartold PM, Marino V, Australian Dental Research Foundation Grant, Targeting HDAC 1 to suppress bone loss in vitro and in a mouse model of periodontitis. $11,813 (2012)
Haynes DR, Bartold PM, Marino V, Cantley MD. Australian Dental Research Foundation Grant, Establishing a mouse model to investigate the relationship between PD and RA $11,637 (2010)
Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=Mjn1a2AAAAAJ&hl=en
TOTAL = 27 publications. 9x first author original research publications, 4x first author review articles, 12x co-author original research publications, 1x co-author review article, 1x senior review article.
1. Dharmapatni AASSK, Algate K, Coleman R, Lorimer M, Cantley MD, Smith MD, Wechalekar MD, Crotti TN. Osteoclast-associated receptor (OSCAR) distribution in the synovial tissues of patients with active RA and TNF-α and RANKL regulation of expression by osteoclasts in vitro. Inflammation. 2017 Oct;40(5):1566-1575. C=3
2. Cantley MD, Rainsford KD, Haynes DR, Yeast RNA extract suppresses human osteoclast resorption in vitro. Inflammopharmacology. 2017 Apr; 25(5):571-576.
3. Williams B, Tsangari E, Stansborough R, Marino V, Cantley MD, Dharmapatni A, Gibson R, Perilli E, Crotti T. Mixed effects of caffeic acid phenethyl ester (CAPE) on joint inflammation, bone loss and gastrointestinal inflammation in a murine model of collagen antibody induced arthritis. Inflammopharmacology. 2017 Feb; 25(1):55-68. C=1
4. Cantley MD, Zannettino A, Histone deacetylases (HDAC) in physiological and pathological bone remodelling. Bone. 2017 Feb; 95:162-174. C=10
5. Saad S, Dharmapatni A, Crotti TN, Cantley MD, Algate K, Findlay DM, Atkins GJ, Haynes DR. Semaphorin-3a, neuropilin-1 and plexin-A1 in prosthetic-particle induced bone loss. Acta biomaterialia. 2016 January; 30:311-318. C=9
6. Ormsby RT, Cantley M, Kogawa M, Solomon LB, Haynes DR, Findlay DM, Atkins GJ. Evidence that osteocyte perilacunar remodelling contributes to polyethylene wear particle induced osteolysis. Acta biomaterialia. 2016 March; 33:242-251. C=15
7. Algate K, Haynes DR, Bartold PM, Crotti TN, Cantley MD. The effects of tumour necrosis factor‐α on bone cells involved in periodontal alveolar bone loss; osteoclasts, osteoblasts and osteocytes. J Periodontal Res. 2016 Apr; 51(2):143-51. C=22
8. Zawawi MSF, Marino V, Perilli E, Cantley MD, Xu J, Purdue PE, Dharmapatni AASK, Haynes DR, Crotti TN. Parthenolide reduces empty lacunae and osteoclastic bone surface resorption induced by polyethylene particles in a murine calvarial model of peri-implant osteolysis. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A. 2015 Nov; 103(11):3572-3579. C=6
9. Cantley MD, Dharmapatni AASK, Algate K, Crotti T, Bartold PM, Haynes DR. Class I and II histone deacetylase (HDAC) expression in human chronic periodontitis gingival tissue. J Periodontal Res. 2016 Apr; 51(2):143-51. C=5
10. Zawawi MS, Perilli E, Stansborough RL, Marino V, Cantley MD, Xu J, Dharmapatni AA, Haynes DR, Gibson RJ, Crotti TN. Caffeic acid phenethyl ester abrogates bone resorption in a murine calvarial model of polyethylene particle-induced osteolysis. Calcif Tissue Int. 2015 Jun; 96(6):565-74. C=6
11. Cantley MD, Fairlie DP, Bartold PM, Marino V, Gupta P, Haynes D. Inhibiting histone deacetylase 1 (HDAC 1) suppresses both inflammation and bone loss in arthritis. Rheumatology. 2015 Sep;54(9):1713-23. C=30
12. Perilli E, Cantley M, Marino V, Crotti TN, Smith MD, Haynes DR, Dharmapatni A. Quantifying not only bone loss, but also soft tissue swelling, in a murine inflammatory arthritis model using micro-CT. Scandinavian journal of immunology. 2015 Feb; 81(2):142-150. C=8
13. Dharmapatni ASSK, Cantley MD, Marino V, Perilli E, Crotti T, Smith M and Haynes DR. The X-linked inhibitory of apoptosis protein inhibitor ambelin suppresses inflammation and bone erosion in collagen antibody induced arthritis (CAIA) mice. Mediators Inflamm. 2015:564042. C=10
14. Gully N, Bright R, Marino V, Marchant C, Cantley M, Haynes DR, Butler, S Dashper, EC Reynolds, PM Bartold. Porphyromonas gingivalis peptidylarginine deiminase, a key contributor in the pathogenesis of experimental periodontal disease and experimental arthritis. PLoS One. 2014 June;9(6); e100838. C=42
15. Cantley MD, Rainsford KD, Haynes DR. Effects of Osteochondrin® S and select connective tissue ribonucleinate components on human osteoclasts in vitro. J Phar and Pharm. 2013 August; 65(8):1214-22. C=4
16. Cantley, MD, Haynes DR. Epigenetic regulation of inflammation: progressing from broad acting histone deacetylase (HDAC) inhibitors to targeting specific HDACs. Inflammopharm. 2013 August; 21(4):301-7. C=46
17. Cantley MD, Rainsford KD, Haynes DR. Comparison of the ability of chondroitin sulfate derived from bovine, fish and pigs to suppress human osteoclast activity in vitro. Inflammopharm. 2013 Dec; 21(6):407-12. C=3
18. Gannon SC, Cantley MD, Haynes DR, Hirsch R, Bartold PM. Azithromycin suppresses human osteoclast formation and activity in vitro. J Cell Physiol. 2013 May; 228(5): 1098-107. C=13
19. Zawawi MS, Dharmapatni AA, Cantley MD, Haynes DR, McHugh KP. Regulation of ITAM adaptor molecules and their receptors by inhibition of calcineurin-NFAT signalling during late stage osteoclast differentiation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012 Oct; 427(2):404-9. C=24
20. Cantley MD, Bartold PM, Fairlie DP, Rainsford KD, Haynes DR. Histone deacetylase inhibitors as suppressors of bone destruction in inflammatory diseases. J Pharm and Pharm. 2012 June; 64(6):763–774. C= 22
21. Cantley MD, Bartold PM, Marino V, Fairlie DP, Le GT, Lucke AJ, Haynes DR. Histone deacetylase inhibitors and periodontal bone loss. J Periol Res. 2011 Dec; 46(6):697-703. C=39
22. Cantley MD, Haynes DR, Marino V, Bartold PM. (2011) Pre-existing periodontitis exacerbates experimental arthritis in a mouse model. J Clin Perio. 2011 June; 38(6):532-41. C=102
23. Cantley MD, Fairlie DP, Bartold PM, Rainsford KD, Ge GT, Lucke AJ, Holding CA, Haynes DR. Inhibitors of histone deacetylases in class I and class II suppress human osteoclasts in vitro. J Cell Physiol. 2011 Dec; 22(12):3233-3241. C=44
24. Bartold PM, Cantley MD, Haynes DR. Mechanisms and control of pathologic bone oss in periodontitis. Perio 2000. 2010 June; 53(1):55-69. C=179
25. Bartold PM, Marino V, Cantley MD, Haynes DR. Effect of Porphyromonas gingivalis-induced inflammation on development of rheumatoid arthritis. J Clin Perio. 2010 May; 37(5):405-11. C=102
26. Cantley MD, Smith MD, Haynes DR. Pathogenic bone loss in rheumatoid arthritis: mechanisms and therapeutic approaches. International J Clin Rheum. 2009 Oct; 4(5)561-582. C=13
27. Cantley MD, Bartold PM, Marino V, Reid RC, Fairle DP, Wyszynski RN, Zilm PS, Haynes DR. The use of live-animal micro-computed tomography to determine the effect of a novel phospholipase A2 inhibitor on alveolar bone loss in an in vivo mouse model of periodontitis. J Perio Res. 2009 June; 44(3):317-22. C=26
Professional Society Membership
Australian Society for Medical Research (ASMR)
Australian and New Zealand Bone and Mineral Society (ANZBMS)
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Tuesday, 7 Jan 2020
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/melissa.cantley