Adjunct Professor Rob Fowler
|Org Unit||Adelaide Law School|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 4441|
|Mobile||+61 4 1049 8507|
Rob Fowler is an Adjunct Professor in the Law School at the University of Adelaide (since January 2021). He has worked in the field of environmental law for forty-five years, during which time he:
- co-founded the Australian Centre for Environmental Law (ACEL) in 1990;
- was Dean of the Law School at the University of Adelaide (1995-98);
- held a Chair in International Environmental law at the University of South Australia (2001-8)
- was an Adjunct Professor in the Law School, University of South Australia (2008-2020).
He has also served as:
- the Chair of the IUCN Academy of Environmental Law (IUCNAEL) (2008-2012);
- a member of the Board of the South Australian Environment Protection Authority (2011 – 2017);
- Chair of the South Australian Environmental Defender’s Office (2001-2009);
- President of the Conservation Council of South Australia (2011-2014);
- a Vice President of the Australian Conservation Foundation (2008-2015); and
- the Convenor of the 15-member Australian Panel of Experts in Environmental Law (APEEL), which produced the Blueprint for the Next Generation of Australian Environmental Law (2018).
He currently serves as the conservation representative on the Lake Eyre Basin Community Advisory Committee and is also a member of the Wakefield Futures Group (see http://wakefieldgroup.org/ ).
Awards & Achievements
· Fulbright Professional Scholarship on Climate Change and Clean Energy, 2015 (investigating US environmental federalism at George Washington University Law School in Washington DC, July - November 2015)
· Mahla Pearlman Oration, Federal Court of Australia, Sydney, 6th March 2014
· Awarded life membership, SA Environmental Defenders Office, December 2011
· Award by the Law Council of Australia for life-time contribution to environmental law (presented in Sydney, November 201
Distinguished Natural Resources Law Visitor, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, USA, 1994)
Fulbright Senior Scholar, 1992-93 (to undertake research in the United States on environmental law and transnational corporations, visiting Environmental Law Institute, Washington DC and United Nations Centre for Transnational Corporations, New York)
National Environmental Law Association (NELA) Award for Outstanding Contribution to Environmental Law, August 1991.
See full CV attached to this home page
Rob Fowler's professional interests involve teaching and research in the fields of environmental and natural resources law, with a particualr interest in environmental impact assessment law, climate change law, biodiversity conservation law and soils law. His scholarship covers domestic, comparative and international aspects of these fields. He is currently engaged in writing a book on sustainability and the law that seeks to identify the core drivers of a possible, impending ecological collapse and the pathways, including through legal measures, to an alternative, sustainable and resilient future.
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Wednesday, 15 Sep 2021
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/robert.fowler