Professor Zonghan Xie
|Position||Director Strategic Partnership - China|
|Org Unit||Faculty of Engineering Computer & Math Sciences|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 3980|
Zonghan Xie is a Professor in Materials Science and Surface Engineering. He grew up in Huaibei (淮北), a small town in eastern China's Anhui Province, and studied Metallic Materials and Heat Treatment at Northeastern University (东北大学) and Metal Matrix Composites at Southeast University (东南大学), both in China. In 2004 he received his PhD (Technical Ceramics) from the University of NSW (UNSW), supported by the IPRS scholarship program of the Australian Government. In the same year he was awarded the Australian Postdoctoral Fellowship from the Australian Research Council to conduct research on engineering coatings. Later Dr Xie worked as a researcher at the University of Sydney Dental School and the Centre for Integrated Nanotechnologies of the Los Alamos National Laboratory, NM, USA before returning to Australia in 2008 to establish and lead a materials research group at ECU, WA. Dr Xie joined the University of Adelaide in July 2012. His current research involves antibactrial coatings, high-strength alloys and calcified tissues. In addition, he has served as Associate Dean (International) in the Faculty of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences (ECMS) and is now responsible for partnership development with universities and industry in China.
2004 PhD, Materials Science and Engineering , University of New South Wales (UNSW), Sydney, Australia
1997-2000 Masters, Materials Science and Engineering, Southeast University, Nanjing, China
1990, BSc, Materials Science and Engineering, Northeastern University, Shenyang, China
Awards & Achievements
1) 2008-2014 Visiting Fellow of the University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
2) 2007 Director’s Postdoctoral Fellow of Los Alamos National Laboratory, NM, USA
3) 2007 University of Sydney Postdoctoral Fellow, Australia
4) 2006 Endeavour Australia Cheung Kong Fellow, Department of Education, Science and Training of Australian Government
5) 2006 Scientific Visit to Taiwan, Australian Academy of Science
6) 2006 National Finalist for the Fulbright Postdoctoral Fellowship Award, the Australian-American Fulbright Commission
7) 2004 – 2006 Australian Postdoctoral Fellow (APD), Australian Research Council
8) 2003 1st Place in Ceramographic Poster Competition (Problem solving), 105th American Ceramic Society Conference, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
10) 2002 1st Place in Poster Competition, Solid State Studies in Ceramics, Gordon Research Conference, NH, USA
11) 2000 International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS), Department of Education, Science and Training of Australian Government
Materials 1, Materials and Manufacturing, Mechanics of Solids, Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics
Biological and bio-inspired materials, including nanomaterials and hierarchically structured materials
Surface science and engineering for self-cleaning and antibacterial purposes
Deformation and fracture mechanisms of engineering structural materials over multiple length scales
Wear and corrosion of materials, including thin films and coatings
Materials characterization techniques: Nanoindentation, electron microscopy, Synchrotron, X-ray Diffraction, X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy, and u-CT
First-principles calculations and finite element modelling of material behaviours
2016 Discovery Projects, Australian Research Council
2015 Discovery Projects, Australian Research Council
2015 Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities, Australian Research Council
2012 DVCR Infrastructure Grant, University of Adelaide
2012 Faculty Start-up Grant, University of Adelaide
Referred Journal Articles (since 2002)
157) Huo, W., Fang, F., Liu, X., Tan, S., Xie, Z., & Jiang, J. (2019). Fatigue resistance of nanotwinned high-entropy alloy films. Materials Science and Engineering A, 739, 26-30.
156) Sha, C., Munroe, P., Zhou, Z., & Xie, Z. (2019). Effect of Ni content on the microstructure and mechanical behaviour of CrAlNiN coatings deposited by closed field unbalanced magnetron sputtering. Surface and Coatings Technology, 357, 445-455.
155) Xu, J., Liu, W., Jiang, S., Munroe, P., & Xie, Z. (2019). Enhancing the cavitation erosion resistance of D8m-Ta₅Si₃ nanocrystalline coatings through Al alloying. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, 50, 138-156.
154) Zhou, L., Fang, F., Wang, L., Hu, X., Xie, Z., & Jiang, J. (2019). Torsion performance of pearlitic steel wires: Effects of morphology and crystallinity of cementite. Materials Science and Engineering A, 743, 425-435.
153) Sun, X., Zhu, H., Li, J., Huang, J., & Xie, Z. (2018). High entropy alloy FeCoNiCu matrix composites reinforced with in-situ TiC particles and graphite whiskers. Materials Chemistry and Physics, 220, 449-459.
152) JIANG, X., MA, J. J., MUNROE, P., & XIE, Z. -H. (2018). INFLUENCE OF FLUORIDE ION CONCENTRATIONS ON THE CORROSION BEHAVIOR OF Ta2N NANOCRYSTALLINE COATING FOR DENTAL IMPLANT APPLICATIONS. Surface Review and Letters, 25(04), 1-19.
151) Karami, A., Zhang, H., Pederick, V., McDevitt, C., Kabir, M., Xu, S., . . . Xie, Z. (2018). Cr–Ag coatings: synthesis, microstructure and antimicrobial properties. Surface Engineering.
150) Ahamed Khan, R., Ghomashchi, R., xie, Z., chen, L., Munroe, P., & Xu, S. (2018). Powder processing and characterisation of a quinary Ni-Mn-Co-Sn-Cu Heusler alloy. Powder Technology, 324, 69-75.
149) Cao, F., Munroe, P., Zhou, Z., & Xie, Z. (2018). Mechanically robust TiAlSiN coatings prepared by pulsed-DC magnetron sputtering system: scratch response and tribological performance. Thin Solid Films, 645, 222-230.
148) Huo, W., Zhou, H., Fang, F., Zhou, X., Xie, Z., & Jiang, J. (2018). Microstructure and properties of novel CoCrFeNiTaₓ eutectic high-entropy alloys. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 735, 897-904.
147) Xu, J., Bao, X., Fu, T., Lyu, Y., Munroe, P., & Xie, Z. (2018). In vitro biocompatibility of a nanocrystalline β-Ta₂O₅ coating for orthopaedic implants. Ceramics International, 44(5), 4660-4675.
146) Cao, F., Munroe, P., Zhou, Z., & Xie, Z. (2018). Medium entropy alloy CoCrNi coatings: Enhancing hardness and damage-tolerance through a nanotwinned structuring. Surface and Coatings Technology, 335, 257-264.
145) Zhou, L., Fang, F., Wang, L., Chen, H., Xie, Z., & Jiang, J. (2018). Torsion delamination and recrystallized cementite of heavy drawing pearlitic wires after low temperature annealing. Materials Science and Engineering A, 713, 52-60.
144) Huo, W., Liu, X., Tan, S., Fang, F., Xie, Z., Shang, J., & Jiang, J. (2018). Ultrahigh hardness and high electrical resistivity in nano-twinned, nanocrystalline high-entropy alloy films. Applied Surface Science, 439, 222-225.
143) Kabir, M., Munroe, P., Zhou, Z., & Xie, Z. (2018). Wear behavior of graded Cr-CrN-Cr(₁−x)Al(x)N coatings synthesized by closed-field unbalanced magnetron sputtering for advanced machining operations. Ceramics International, 44(7), 7723-7733.
142) Zhang, H., Zhu, H., Huang, J., Li, J., & Xie, Z. (2018). In-situ TiB₂-NiAl composites synthesized by arc melting: Chemical reaction, microstructure and mechanical strength. Materials Science and Engineering A, 719, 140-146.
141) Lavigne, O., Vu, A., Richards, L., & Xie, Z. (2018). Effect of demineralization time on the mineral composition and mechanical properties of remineralized dentin. Journal of Oral Science, 60(1), 121-128.
140) Xu, J., Liu, W., Xu, S., Munroe, P., & Xie, Z. (2018). Mechanical and electrochemical properties of Al alloyed D8m-Ta₅Si₃ nanocrystalline coatings. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 749, 406-423.
139) Kabir, M., Munroe, P., Zhou, Z., & Xie, Z. (2018). Study of the structure, properties, scratch resistance and deformation behaviour of graded Cr-CrN-Cr(1-x)AlxN coatings. Ceramics International, 44(10), 11364-11373.
138) Xu, J., Sun, T., Jiang, S., Munroe, P., & Xie, Z. (2018). Antimicrobial and biocorrosion-resistant MoO₃-SiO₂ nanocomposite coating prepared by double cathode glow discharge technique. Applied Surface Science, 447, 500-511.
137) Xu, J., Ma, J., Munroe, P., & Xie, Z. (2018). Influence of fluoride ion concentrations n the corrosion behavior of Ta2N nanocrystalline coating for dental implant applications. Surface Review and Letters, 25(4), 1850083.
136) Khan, R., Ghomashchi, R., Xie, Z., & Chen, L. (2018). Ferromagnetic shape memory Heusler materials: Synthesis, microstructure characterization and magnetostructural properties. Materials, 11(6), 34 pages.
135) Zhou, L., Wang, L., Chen, H., Xie, Z., & Fang, F. (2018). Effects of Chromium Additions upon Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Cold Drawn Pearlitic Steel Wires. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 27(7), 3619-3628.
134) Kabir, M., Munroe, P., Gonçales, V., Zhou, Z., & Xie, Z. (2018). Structure and properties of hydrophobic CeO₂−x coatings synthesized by reactive magnetron sputtering for biomedical applications. Surface and Coatings Technology, 349, 667-676.
133) Cao, F., Munroe, P., Zhou, Z., & Xie, Z. (2018). Microstructure and mechanical properties of a multilayered CoCrNi/Ti coating with varying crystal structure. Surface and Coatings Technology, 350, 596-602.
132) Chen, Y., Zhou, Z., Munroe, P., & Xie, Z. (2018). Hierarchical nanostructure of CrCoNi film underlying its remarkable mechanical strength. Applied Physics Letters, 113(8), 5 pages.
131) Xu, S., Xu, J., Munroe, P. & Xie, Z. (2017). Nanoporosity improves the damage tolerance of nanostructured tantalum nitride coatings. Scripta Materialia, 133, 86-91.
130) Huo, W., Fang, F., Zhou, H., Xie, Z., Shang, J. & Jiang, J. (2017). Remarkable strength of CoCrFeNi high-entropy alloy wires at cryogenic and elevated temperatures. Scripta Materialia, 141, 125-128.
129) Kabir, M., Munroe, P., Zhou, Z. & Xie, Z. (2017). Scratch adhesion and tribological behaviour of graded Cr/CrN/CrTiN coatings synthesized by closed-field unbalanced magnetron sputtering. Wear, 380-381, 163-175.
128) Xu, J., Bao, X., Fu, T., Lyu, Y., Munroe, P. & Xie, Z. (2017). In vitro biocompatibility of a nanocrystalline β-Ta2O5coating for orthopaedic implants. Ceramics International, -.
127) Yu, Z., Zhu, H., Huang, J., Li, J. & Xie, Z. (2017). Processing and characterization of in-situ ultrafine TiB2-Cu composites from Ti-B-Cu system. Powder Technology, 320, 66-72.
126) Mohammadpour, E., Jiang, Z., Altarawneh, M., Mondinos, N., Rahman, M., Lim, H. ... Dlugogorski, B. (2017). Experimental and predicted mechanical properties of Cr1-xAIxN thin films, at high temperatures, incorporating in situ synchrotron radiation X-ray diffraction and computational modelling. RSC Advances, 7, 36, 22094-22104.
125) Huo, W., Zhou, H., Fang, F., Hu, X., Xie, Z. & Jiang, J. (2017). Strain-rate effect upon the tensile behavior of CoCrFeNi high-entropy alloys. Materials Science and Engineering A, 689, 366-369.
124) Xu, J., Cheng, J., Jiang, S., Munroe, P. & Xie, Z. (2017). Mechanical and electrochemical properties of a sputter-deposited β-Ta₅Si₃ nanocrystalline coating. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 699, 1068-1083.
123) Zhu, H., Yu, Z., Hua, B., Li, J., Huang, J. & Xie, Z. (2017). Chemical reaction mechanism, microstructural characteristics and mechanical properties of in situ (α-Al2O3+ZrB2)/Al composites. Materials Chemistry and Physics, 196, 45-51.
122) Xu, J., Cheng, J., Jiang, S., Munroe, P. & Xie, Z. (2017). The influence of Ti additions on the mechanical and electrochemical behavior of β-Ta5Si3nanocrystalline coating. Applied Surface Science, 419, 901-915.
121) Zhu, H., Sun, X., Yu, Z., Huang, J., Li, J. & Xie, Z. (2017). Reaction mechanisms, resultant microstructures and tensile properties of Al-based composites fabricated in situ from Al-SiO₂-Mg system. Advanced Powder Technology, 28, 10, 2572-2580.
120) Huo, W., Zhou, H., Fang, F., Xie, Z. & Jiang, J. (2017). Microstructure and mechanical properties of CoCrFeNiZrxeutectic high-entropy alloys. Materials and Design, 134, 226-233.
119) Cao, F., Munroe, P., Zhou, Z. & Xie, Z. (2017). Influence of substrate bias on microstructural evolution and mechanical properties of TiAlSiN thin films deposited by pulsed-DC magnetron sputtering. Thin Solid Films, 639, 137-144.2016
118) Ma JJ, Xu J, Jiang S, Munroe P, Xie ZH, "Effects of pH value and temperature on the corrosion behavior of aTa2N nanoceramic coating in simulated polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell environment", Ceramics International, 42, 16833–16851 (2016)
117) Xu S, Munroe P, Xu J, Xie ZH, "The microstructure and mechanical properties of tantalum nitride coatings deposited by a plasma assisted bias sputtering deposition process", Surface and Coatings Technology 307, 470-475 (2016)
116) Raihanuzzaman RM, Rosinski M, Xie Z, Ghomashchi R, "Microstructure and mechanical properties and of pulse plasma compacted WC - Co", International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials 60, 58-67 (2016)
115) Cao F, Munroe P, Zhou Z, Xie Z, "The microstructure and mechanical properties of thin film Ni(Ti) nanocomposite coatings containing both oxygen and nitrogen", Surface and Coatings Technology 304, 375-383 (2016)
114) Rahman MM, Jiang ZT, Zhou ZF, Xie Z, Yin CY, Kabir H, Haque MM, Amri A, Mondinos N, Altarawneh M, "Effects of annealing temperatures on the morphological, mechanical, surface chemical bonding, and solar selectivity properties of sputtered TiAlSiN thin films", JOURNAL OF ALLOYS AND COMPOUNDS 671, 254-266 (2016)
113) Xu J, Hu W, Xie ZH, Munroe P, "Reactive-sputter-deposited β-Ta2O5 and TaON nanoceramic coatings on Ti-6Al-4V alloy against wear and corrosion damage", Surface and Coatings Technology 296, 171-184 (2016)
112) Xu J, Hu W, Xu S, Munroe P, Xie ZH, "Electrochemical properties of a novel β-Ta₂O₅ nanoceramic coating exposed to simulated body solutions", ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering 2(1), 73-89 (2016)
111) Jian Cheng, Jiang Xu, Paul Munroe, Zong-Han Xie, "The effects of Al and Ti additions on the structural stability, mechanical and electronic properties of D8m-structured Ta5Si3", Metals 6(6), 127 (2016)
110) Hu W, Xu J, Lu X, Hu D, Tao H, Munroe P, Xie ZH, "Corrosion and wear behaviours of a reactive-sputter-deposited Ta2O5 nanoceramic coating", Applied Surface Science 368, 177-190 (2016)
109) Lichu Zhou, Feng Fang, Xuefeng Zhou, Yiyou Tu, Zonghan Xie, Jianqing Jiang, "Cementite nano-crystallization in cold drawn pearlitic wires instigated by low temperature annealing", Scripta Materialia, 120, 5-8 (2016)
108) M. Mahbubur Rahmana, Zhong-Tao Jiang*a, Paul Munroeb, Lee Siang Chuahc, Zhi-feng Zhoud, Zonghan Xie, et al., "Chemical bonding states and solar selective characteristics of unbalanced magnetron sputtered TixM1-x-yNy films", RSC Advances, 6, 36373–36383 (2016)
107) Xu J, Huang HJ, Li Z, Xu S, Tao H, Munroe P, Xie ZH, "Corrosion behavior of a ZrCN coated Ti alloy with potential application as a bipolar plate for proton exchange membrane fuel cell", Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 663, 718-730 (2016)
106) Rahman MM, Jiang ZT, Duan X, Xie Z, Tadich A, Zhou ZF, Mondinos N, Yin CY, Altarawneh M, Dlugogorski BZ, "NEXAFS N K-edge study of the bonding structure on Al/Si doped sputtered CrN coatings", Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 661, 268-273 (2016)
105) Mohammadpour E, Jiang ZT, Altarawneh M, Xie Z, Zhou ZF, Mondinos N, Kimpton J, Dlugogorski BZ, "Predicting high temperature mechanical properties of CrN and CrAlN coatings from in-situ synchrotron radiation X-ray diffraction", Thin Solid Films, 599, 98-103 (2016)
104) Jiang Xu, Wei Hu, Song Xu, Paul Munroe, Zong-Han Xie, "Electrochemical Properties of a Novel β‑Ta2O5 Nanoceramic Coating Exposed to Simulated Body Solutions", ACS Biomater. Sci. Eng., 2(1), 73–89 (2016)2015
103) F. Fang, X. Hu, L. Zhou, Z. Xie, J. Jiang, "Effect of vanadium on microstructure and property of pearlitic steel wire", Materials Research Innovations, 19 (S8), S8-394-S8-396 (November, 2015)
102) Jiang Xu, ZhengYang Li, Song Xu, Paul Munroe, Zong-Han Xie, "A nanocrystalline zirconium carbide coating as a functional corrosion-resistant barrier for polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell application," Journal of Power Sources, 297, 359-369 (2015)
101) Jiang Xu, Song Xu, Paul Munroe, Zong-Han Xie, "A ZrN nanocrystalline coating for polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell metallic bipolar plates prepared by reactive sputter deposition," 5, 67348-67356, RSC Advances (2015)
100) Feng Fang, Lichu Zhou, Xianjun Hu, Xuefeng Zhou, Yiyou Tu, Zonghan Xie, Jianqing Jiang, "Microstructure and mechanical properties of cold-drawn pearlitic wires affect by inherited texture," Materials & Design, 79, 60-67 (2015)
99) Jiang Xu, Linlin Liu, Paul Munroe, Zong-Han Xie, "Promoting bone-like apatite formation on titanium alloys through nanocrystalline tantalum nitride coatings", Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 3, 4082-4094 (2015)
98) Heguo Zhu, Bo Hua, Tao Cui, Jiewen Huang, Jianliang Li, Zonghan Xie, "Microwave combustion synthesis of in situ Al2O3 and Al3Zr reinforced aluminum matrix composites", Materials Research Bulletin, 68, 283–288 (2015)
97) Feng Fang, Fei He, Xiaoqin Wu, Zonghan Xie, "Electrical and optical properties of nitrogen doped SnO2 thin films deposited on flexible substrates by magnetron sputtering", Materials Research Bulletin, 68, 240–244 (2015)
96) Heguo Zhu, Guanhong Guo, Tao Cui, Jiewen Huang, Jianliang Li, Zonghan Xie, “In situ aluminum matrix composites fabricated from Al-Ni2O3 system through microwave synthesis”, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 153, 333–337 (2015)
95) Rumman Md. Raihanuzzaman, Zonghan Xie, Soon-Jik Hong, Reza Ghomashchi, “Effect of Spark Plasma Sintering Pressure on Mechanical Properties of WC-7.5 Nano Co”, Materials and Design, 68, 221-227 (2015)
94) Heguo Zhu, Guanhong Guo, Tao Cui, Jiewen Huang, Jianliang Li, Zonghan Xie, “Influences of carbon additions on reaction mechanisms and tensile properties of Al-based composites synthesized in-situ by Al-SiO2 powder system”, Materials Science & Engineering A, 623, 78-82 (2015)
93) S. Kwek, M. Ahmed, C. Hall, Z.-H. Xie, R. Yong, J. Kaidonis, G. Townsend, S. Ranjitkar, “Nanoscratch testing for the assessment of enamel erosion under conditions simulating wine tasting”, Australian Dental Journal, 60(1), 12-7 (2015)
92) Jiang Xu, ZhengYang Li, Paul Munroe, Zong-Han Xie, “Oxidation resistance of Mo(Si1-xAlx)2 nanocrystalline films and characterization of their oxide scales by electrochemical impedance spectroscopy”, RSC Advances, 4, 55696-55708 (2014)
91) Jiang Xu, Wei Hu, Yong Yan, Xiaolin Lu, Paul Munroe, Zong-Han Xie, “Microstructure and mechanical properties of a Mo-toughened Mo3Si-based in situ nanocomposite”, Vacuum, 109, 112–119 (2014)
90) Feng Fang, Xian-jun Hu, Xiao-xue Guo, Fan Li, Zong-han Xie, Jian-qing Jiang, “Texture inheritance of cold drawn pearlite steel wires after austenitization”, Materials Science & Engineering A, 618, 505–510 (2014)
89) M. Rahman, Z.-T. Jiang, Z.-H. Xie, et al., "Understanding Local Bonding Structures of Ni-doped Chromium Nitride Coatings through Synchrotron Radiation NEXAFS Spectroscopy", Journal of Physical Chemistry Part C, 118, 18573−18579 (2014)
88) W. Liang, W. Ye, D. Ye, Z. Zhou, Z. Chen, A. Li, Z.-H. Xie, L. Zhang, J. Xu, “Construction and biomechanical properties of poly-axial self-locking anatomical plate based on the geometry of distal tibia”, BioMed Research International, Article ID 436325, 7 pages (2014), http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/436325
87) R. Md Raihanuzzaman, T. Jeong, R. Ghomashchi, Z.-H. Xie, S. Hong, “Characterization of short-duration high-energy ball milled WC–Co powders and subsequent consolidations”, Journal of Alloys and Compounds 615, S564–S568 (2014)
86) J. Xu , Z. Li, X. Lu, Y. Yan, P. Munroe, Z.-H. Xie, “Mechanical and electrochemical properties of nanocrystalline (Mo1−xCrx)3Si coatings: experimental and modeling studies”, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 611, 179–190 (2014)
85) Feng Fang, Yufei Zhao, Lichu Zhou, Xian-jun Hu, Jian-qing Jiang, Zong-han Xie, "Deformation of Cementite in Cold Drawn Pearlitic Steel Wire", Materials Science & Engineering A, 608, 11-15 (2014)
84) Rumman Md Raihanuzzaman, Zonghan Xie, Soon Jik Hong, Reza Ghomashchi, “Powder Refinement, Consolidation and Mechanical Properties of Cemented Carbides - An Overview”, Powder Technology, 261, 1-13 (2014)
83) Heguo Zhu, Bo Hua, Jiewen Huang, Jianliang Li, Gui Wang, Zonghan Xie, “Dry sliding wear behavior of TiC/Fe composites fabricated by exothermic dispersion of Fe-Ti-C powders”, Tribology - Materials, Surfaces & Interfaces, (2014), DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1179/1751584X14Y.0000000073
82) Heguo Zhu, Kang Dong, Jiewen Huang, Jianliang Li, Gui Wang, Zonghan Xie, “Reaction mechanism and mechanical properties of an aluminum-based composite fabricated in-situ from Al-SiO2 system”, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 145, 334-341 (2014)
81) Jiang Xu, Xiaoli Zhao, Paul Munroe, Zonghan Xie, “Synergistic toughening of hard, nacre-mimetic MoSi2 coatings by self-assembled hierarchical structure”, Scientific Reports (by Nature Publishing Group), 4 : 4239, DOI: 10.1038/srep04239 (2014)
80) Jiang Xu, Guo dong Wang, Xiaolin Lu, Linlin Liu, Paul Munroe, Zong-Han Xie, “Mechanical and corrosion-resistant properties of Ti-Nb-Si-N nanocomposite films prepared by a double glow discharge plasma technique”, Ceramics International, 40, 8621–8630 (2014)
79) Simona O’Brien, Jeremy Shaw, Xiaoli Zhao, Paul Abbott, Paul Munroe, Jiang Xu, Daryoush Habibi, Zonghan Xie, “Size dependent elastic modulus and mechanical resilience of dental enamel”, Journal of Biomechanics, 47, 1060–1066 (2014)
78) Pui Ching Wo, Paul R. Munroe, Zhong-Tao Jiang, Zhifeng Zhou, Lawance K. L. Li, Zonghan Xie, “Enhancing toughness of CrN coatings by Ni addition for safety-critical applications”, Materials Science & Engineering A, 596, 264–274 (2014)
77) Amun Amri, Zhong-Tao Jiang, Xiaoli Zhao, Zonghan Xie, Chun-Yang Yin, Nurshahidah Ali, Nick Mondinos, M. Mahbubur Rahman, Daryoush Habibi, "Tailoring the physicochemical and mechanical properties of optical copper cobalt oxide thin films through annealing treatment," Surface and Coatings Technology, 239, 212-221 (2014)
76) Liu L, Xu J, Munroe P, Xu J, Xie ZH, "Electrochemical behavior of (Ti1-xNbx)5Si3 nanocrystalline films in simulated physiological media," Acta Biomater., 10, 1005-1013 (2014)
75) Linlin Liu, Jiang Xu, Paul Munroe, Zong-Han Xie, "Microstructure, mechanical and electrochemical properties of in situ synthesized TiC reinforced Ti5Si3 nanocomposite coatings on Ti-6Al-4V substrates", Electrochimica Acta, 115, 86-95 (2014)
74) Jiang Xu, Linlin Liu, Zhengyang Li, Paul Munroe, Zong-Han Xie, “Niobium addition enhancing the corrosion resistance of nanocrystalline Ti5Si3 coating in H2SO4 solution”, Acta Mater, 63, 245-260 (2014)
73) Jiang Xu, Lizheng Yang, Zong-Han Xie, Paul Munroe, "Uniting superhardness and damage-tolerance in a nano-sandwich structured Ti-B-N coating," Scripta Mater, 74, 88-91 (2014)
72) Simona O'Brien, Amanda J Keown, Paul Constantino, Zonghan Xie, Mark B. Bush, “Revealing the structural and mechanical characteristics of ovine teeth,” Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 30, 176-185 (2014)
71) Xiaoli Zhao, Simona O’Brien, Jeremy Shaw, Paul Abbott, Paul Munroe, Daryoush Habibi, Zonghan Xie, "The origin of remarkable robustness of human tooth enamel", Applied Physics Letters, 103, 241901 (2013)
70) Amri, Amun; Jiang, Zhong-Tao; Bahri, Parisa; Yin, Chun-Yang; Zhao, Xiaoli; Xie, Zonghan; Duan, XiaoFei; Widjaja, Hantarto; Rahman, M. Mahbubur; Pryor, Trevor, "Surface Electronic Structure and Mechanical Characteristics of Copper Cobalt Oxide Thin Film Coatings: Soft X-ray Synchrotron Radiation Spectroscopic Analyses and Modeling," The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 117, 16457−16467 (2013)
69) Jiang Xu, Linlin Liu, Paul Munroe, Zong-Han Xie, "The nature and role of passive films in controlling the corrosion resistance of MoSi2-based nanocomposite coatings," J. Mater. Chem. A, 35, 10281-10291 (2013)
68) Feng FANG, Xian-jun HU, Bi-ming ZHANG, X. X. Guo, Zong-han XIE, Jian-qing JIANG, "Deformation of dual-structure medium carbon steel in cold drawing," Materials Science & Engineering A, 583, 78-83 (2013)
67) M. Mahbubur Rahman, Alex Duan, Zhong-Tao Jiang, Zonghan Xie, Alex Wu, Amun Amri, Bruce Cowie, Chun-Yang Yin, "Near-edge X-ray absorption fine structure studies of Cr1-xMxN coatings," Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 578, 362-368 (2013)
66) Heguo Zhu, Kang Dong, Huan Wang, Jiewen Huang, Jianliang Li, Zonghan Xie, "Reaction mechanisms of the TiC/Fe composite fabricated by exothermic dispersion from Fe-Ti-C element system," Powder Technology, 246, 456-461 (2013)
65) Jiang Xu, Linlin Liu, Lei Jiang, Paul Munroe, Zong-Han Xie, “Unraveling the mechanical and tribological properties of a novel Ti5Si3/TiC nanocomposite coating synthesized by a double glow discharge plasma technique”, Ceramics International, 39, 9471–9481 (2013)
64) Xian-jun HU, Feng FANG, Wang Lei, Zhong-quan MA, Zong-han XIE, Jian-qing JIANG, “Origin and mechanism of torsion fracture in cold-drawn pearlitic steel wires,” Journal of Materials Science, 48, 5528–5535 (2013)
63) Xiaoli Zhao, Paul Munroe, Daryoush Habibi, Zonghan Xie, “Roles of compressive residual stress in enhancing the corrosion resistance of nano nitride composite coatings on steel,” Journal of Asian Ceramic Societies, 1, 86-94 (2013)
62) Jiang Xu, Linlin Liu, XiangZhen Mao, Paul Munroe, Zong-Han Xie, "Effect of Al addition upon mechanical robustness and corrosion resistance of Mo5Si3/MoSi2 gradient nanocomposite coatings," Surface and Coatings Technology, 223, 215-225 (2013)
61) Yujing Liu, Xiaoli Zhao, Lai-Chang Zhang, Daryoush Habibi, Zonghan Xie, "Architectural design of diamond-like carbon coatings for long-lasting joint replacements," Materials Science and Engineering C, 33, 2788-94 (2013)
60) Jiang Xu, Jia di Wu, Zhengyang Li, Paul Munroe, Zong-Han Xie, "Mechanical properties of Cr-alloyed MoSi2-based nanocomposite coatings with a hierarchical structure," Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 565, 127-133 (2013)
59) J. Xu, Z. Li, Z.-H. Xie, P. Munroe, X.L. Lu, X.F. Lan, “Novel high damage-tolerant, wear resistant MoSi2-based nanocomposite coatings,” Appl. Surf. Sci., 270, 418-427 (2013)
58) Jiang Xu, XiangZhen Mao, Zong-Han Xie, Paul Munroe, “Connecting structural, mechanical and tribological characteristics of Al alloyed nanocrystalline molybdenum silicides coatings," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., 46, 065304 (16pp) (2013)
57) Linlin Liu, Jiang Xu, Zong-Han Xie, Paul Munroe, “The roles of passive layers in regulating the electrochemical behavior of Ti5Si3-based nanocomposite films,” J. Mater. Chem. A, 1, 2064-2078 (2013)
56) Heguo Zhu, Yaling Jiang, Jinzhu Song, Jianliang Li, Paul Munroe, Zonghan Xie, “In-situ synthesis and characterization of a hierarchically structured Al2O3/Al3Ti composite,” J. Mat. Sci., 48, 929-935 (2013)
55) P. C. Wo, X. L. Zhao, P. R. Munroe, Z. F. Zhou, K. Y. Li, Z. H. Xie, "Extremely hard, damage-tolerant ceramic coatings with functionally graded, periodically varying architecture," Acta Materialia, 61, 193-204 (2013)
54) Heguo Zhu, Yalin Jiang, Yinqun Yao, Jinzhu Song, Jianliang Li, Zonghan Xie, "Reaction pathways, activation energies and mechanical properties of hybrid composites synthesized in-situ from Al-TiO2-C powder mixtures," Materials Chemistry and Physics, 137, 532-542 (2012)
53) Zhao Li, Paul Munroe, Zhong-tao Jiang, Xiaoli Zhao, Jiang Xu, Jian-qing Jiang, Feng Fang, Zonghan Xie, “Designing superhard, self-toughening CrAlN coatings through grain boundary engineering,” Acta Materialia, 60, 5735–5744 (2012)
52) Jiang Xu, Linlin Liu, Zong-Han Xie, Paul Munroe, “Nanocomposite bilayer film for resisting wear and corrosion damage of a Ti–6Al–4V alloy,” Surface and Coatings Technology, 206 [19-20], 4156-4165 (2012)
51) Jiang Xu, Daohui Lai, Jiadi Wu, Zonghan Xie, Paul Munroe, “Enhanced corrosion-resistance in nanocrystalline MoSi2 films enabled by Cr additions,” Surface and Coatings Technology, 206 , 4947-4951 (2012)
50) Amun Amri, Zhong-Tao Jiang, Trevor Pryora, Chun-Yang Yinb, Gerrard Eddy Poinern, Zonghan Xie and Nick Mondinosa, "Optical and mechanical characterization of novel cobalt-based metal oxide thin films synthesized using sol-gel dip-coating method," Surface and Coatings Technology, 207,367–374 (2012)
49) Mohammad Shoeb Ahmed, Paul Munroe, Zhong-Tao Jiang, Xiaoli Zhao, Magdalena Wajrak, Hua Guo, William Rickard, Zonghan Xie, "Corrosion and Damage Resistant Nitride Coatings for Steel", J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 95, 2997–3004 (2012)
48) J. Xu, J. D. Wu, D. H. Lai, Z. H. Xie, P. Munroe, “Investigation on effect of alloying elements on mechanical properties of MoSi2 by first principle calculation,” Materials Science and Technology, 28, 1337-1344 (2012)
47) F. Fang, X.J. Hu, S.H. Chen, Z.H. Xie and J.Q. Jiang, “Revealing microstructural and mechanical characteristics of cold-drawn pearlitic steel wires undergoing simulated galvanization treatment,” Materials Science & Engineering A, 547, 51-54 (2012)
46) D.H. Lai, J. Xu, Z.H. Xie, D. Habibi and P. Munroe, “Mechanical characterization of a novel nanocrystalline coating: First-principles calculations and nanoindentation,” Materials Characterization, doi:10.1016/j.matchar.2012.03.003, 68, 1-6 (2012)
45) Heguo Zhu, Cuicui Jar, Jinzhu Song, Jun Zhao, Jianliang Li, Zonghan Xie, High temperature dry sliding friction and wear behavior of aluminum matrix composites (Al3Zr+α-Al2O3)/Al, Tribology International, 48, 78–86 (2012)
44) Heguo Zhu, Cuicui Jia, Jianliang Li, Jun Zhao, Jinzhu Song, Yinqun Yao, Zonghan Xie, Microstructure and high temperature wear of the aluminum matrix composites fabricated by reaction from Al–ZrO2–B elemental powders, Powder Technology, 217, 401–408 (2012)
43) P. C. Wo, P. R. Munroe, Z. Li, Z-T. Jiang, Z. H. Xie, Z. F. Zhou and K. Y. Li, “Factors governing the mechanical behaviour of CrSiN coatings: combined nanoindentation testing and transmission electron microscopy,” Materials Science & Engineering A, 534, 297-308 (2012)
42) Jiang Xu, Dao-hui Lai, Zong-Han Xie, Paul Munroe, Zhong-Tao Jiang, “A critical role for Al in regulating the corrosion resistance of nanocrystalline Mo(Si1-xAlx)2 films,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, 22, 2596–2606 (2012)
41) J. Xu, X. Z. Mao, Z. H. Xie and P. R. Munroe, "Damage-Tolerant, Hard Nanocomposite Coatings Enabled by a Hierarchical Structure," J. Phys. Chem. C, 115 (39), 18977–18982 (2011)
40) M. S. Ahmed, P. Munroe, Z. T. Jiang, X. Zhao, W. Richard, Z. F. Zhou, L. K. Y. Li and Z. H. Xie, "Corrosion behaviour of nanocomposite TiSiN coatings on steel substrates," Corrosion Science, 53, 3678–3687 (2011)
39) C. Y. Yin, M. Minakshi, D. E. Ralph, Z. T. Jiang, Z. H. Xie and H. Guo, "Hydrothermal synthesis of cubic -Fe2O3 microparticles using glycine: Surface characterization, reaction mechanism and electrochemical activity," Journal of Alloys and Compounds , 509, 9821– 9825 (2011)
38) P. C. Wo, P. R. Munroe, Z.-H. Xie, Z. F. Zhou and K. Y. Li, "Three-dimensional visualization of scratch-induced sub-surface damage in TiSiN/TiN multilayer coating using FIB-SEM tomography technique," J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 94, 1598–1604 (2011)
37) M. S. Ahmed, X. L. Zhao, Z. F. Zhou, P. Munroe, K. Y. Li and Z. H. Xie, “Effect of thermal annealing upon residual stress and mechanical properties of nanostructured TiSiN coatings on steel substrates” J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 94, 1546–1551 (2011)
36) X. L. Zhao, Z. H. Xie and P. Munroe, "Nanoindentation of Hard Multilayer Coatings: Finite Element Modelling," Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 528, 1111-1116 (2011)
35) D. H. Lai, J. Xu, Z. H. Xie and P. Munroe, "Structure-property-performance of nanocomposite Cr-Si-N films synthesized by a duplex surface treatment technique," Journal of Materials Research, 36, 3020-3031 (2011)
34) J Xu, Z.-H. Xie and P. Munroe, “Effect of Cr alloying on friction and wear of sputter-deposited nanocrystalline,” Intermetallics, 19, 1146-1156 (2011)
33) M. S. Ahmed, Z. F. Zhou, P. Munroe, K. Y. Li and Z. H. Xie, “Control of the damage resistance of nanocomposite ceramic coatings on steels: roles of residual stress”, Thin Solid Films, 519, 5007-5012 (2011)
32) R. K. Singh, Z. F. Zhou, K. Y. Li, P. Munroe, M. Hoffman and Z.-H. Xie, “Design of functionally graded carbon coatings against contact damage,” Thin Solid Films, 518, 5769-5776 (2010)
31) P. C. Wo, P. R. Munroe, Z. F. Zhou, K. Y. Li and Z.-H. Xie, “Effects of TiN sublayers on the response of TiSiN nanocomposite coatings to nanoindentation and scratching contacts,” Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 527, 4447-4457 (2010)
30) P. C. Wo, Z. F. Zhou, P. Munroe, Z. –H. Xie and K. Y. Li, “Cross-sectional Transmission Electron Microscopy on Deformed Microstructures in Monolithic and Multilayer TiSiN/TiN Films,” Int. J. Mod. Phys. B, 24, 18-25 (2010)
29) Z. -H. Xie, M.V. Swain and M. Hoffman, “Structural integrity of enamel: experimental and modelling,” J. Dent. Res., 88 , 529 – 533 (2009)
28) Z. -H. Xie, M.V. Swain, G. Swadener, P. Munroe and M. Hoffman, “Effect of microstructure upon elastic behaviour of human tooth enamel,” J. Biomech., 42 , 1075-1080 (2009)
27) P. C. Wo, M. Vasiliev, P. Munroe, Z. –H. Xie, K. Alameh and V. A. Kotov, “A novel technique for microstructure characterization of garnet films,” Opt. Mater. 32, 315-322 (2009)
26) M. Vasiliev, P. C. Wo, K. Alameh, P. Munroe, Z. –H. Xie, V. A. Kotov and V. I. Burkov, “Microstructural Characterisation of Sputtered Garnet Materials and All-garnet Magnetic Heterostructures: Establishing the Technology for Magnetic Photonic Crystals Fabrication,” J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 42, 135003 (2009)
25) Z. -H. Xie, N M Kilpatrick, M.V. Swain, P. Munroe and M. Hoffman, “Transmission Electron Microscope Characterisation of Molar-Incisor-Hypomineralisation,” J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Med., 19, 3187-3192 (2008)
24) R. Singh, Z. -H. Xie, M. Hoffman, P. Munroe, A. Bendavid and P. J. Martin, “Effect of Substrate Roughness on the Contact Damage of Diamond-like Carbon Coatings,” Diamond Relat. Mater., 17, 976-979 (2008)
23) Z. -H. Xie, M.V. Swain, M. Hoffman and P. Munroe, “On the Critical Parameters that Regulate the Mechanical Behaviour of Tooth Enamel,” Biomaterials, 29, 2697-2703 (2008)
22) Z. -H. Xie, M. Hoffman, P. Munroe, A. Bendavid and P. Martin, “Deformation Mechanisms of TiN Multilayer Coatings Alternated by Ductile or Stiff Interlayers,” Acta Mater., 56, 852-861 (2008)
21) R. Singh, M. T. Tilbrook, Z. -H. Xie, A. Bendavid, P. Martin and M. Hoffman, “Contact Damage Evolution in Diamond-like Carbon Coatings on Ductile Substrates,” J. Mater. Res., 23, 27-36 (2008)
20) Z. -H. Xie, M. Hoffman, P. Munroe, R. Singh, A. Bendavid and P. Martin, “Microstructural Response of TiN Monolithic and Multilayer Coatings during Microscratch Testing,” J. Mater. Res., 22, 2312-2318 (2007)
19) M. T. Tilbrook, D. J. Paton, Z. -H. Xie and M. Hoffman, “Microstructural Effects on Indentation Failure Mechanisms in TiN Coatings: Finite Element Simulations,” Acta Mater., 55, 2489-2501 (2007)
18) Z. -H. Xie, R. Singh, A. Bendavid, P. Martin, P. Munroe and M. Hoffman, “Contact Damage Evolution in a Diamond-Like Carbon (DLC) Coating on a Stainless Steel Substrate,” Thin Solid Films, 515, 3196-3201 (2007)
17) Z. -H. Xie, E K Mahoney, N M Kilpatrick, M.V. Swain and M. Hoffman, “On the Structure – Property Relationship of Sound and Hypomineralised Enamel,” Acta Biomater., 3, 865-872 (2007)
16) A. Bendavid, P.J. Martin, E. Preston, J. Cairney, Z.-H. Xie and M. Hoffman, “Deposition of Nanocomposite Thin Films by a Hybrid Cathodic Arc and Chemical Vapour Technique,” Surf. Coat. Tech., 201, 4139-44 (2006)
15) Z. -H. Xie, P. R. Munroe, D. McGrouther, R. Singh and M. Hoffman, “Three-Dimensional Study of Indentation-Induced Cracks in Diamond-Like Carbon Coatings,” J. Mater. Res., 21, 2600-2605 (2006)
14) V. Jayaram, S. Bhowmick, Z.-H Xie, S Math, M. Hoffman and S. K. Biswas, “Contact Deformation of TiN Coatings on Metallic Substrates,” Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 423, 8-13 (2006)
13) Z. -H. Xie, M. Hoffman, R. J. Moon and P. R. Munroe, “Deformation Processes in a Hard Coating on Ductile Substrate System during Nanoindentation: Role of Coating Microstructure,” J. Mater. Res., 21, 437-447 (2006)
12) Z. -H. Xie, M. Hoffman, R. J. Moon, P. R. Munroe and Y. -B. Cheng, “Wear Behaviour of a Calcium α-SiAlON Ceramic at 600°C,” Wear, 260[11-12], 1356-1360 (2006)
11) Z. -H. Xie, M. Hoffman, R. J. Moon, P. R. Munroe and Y. -B. Cheng, “Sliding Wear of α-SiAlON Ceramics,” Wear, 260[4-5], 387-400 (2006)
10) Z. -H. Xie, R. J. Moon, M. Hoffman, P. Munroe and Y.-B. Cheng, “Effect of Microstructure on Sliding Wear of Calcium a- SiAlON Ceramics,” Key Eng. Mater., 280-283, 1253-1258 (2005)
9) S. Bhowmick, Z. –H. Xie, M. Hoffman, V. Jayaram, S. K. Biswas, “The Nature of Contact Deformation of TiN Films on Steel,” J. Mater. Res., 19, 2616-24 (2004)
8) Z. -H. Xie, M. Hoffman, R. J. Moon, P. R. Munroe, Y.-B. Cheng, “Subsurface Indentation Damage and Mechanical Characterization of α-SiAlON Ceramics,” J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 87, 2114-24 (2004)
7) R. J. Moon, Z. -H. Xie, M. Hoffman, P. R. Munroe and Y. –B. Cheng, “Application of Focused Ion Beam Miller in Indentation Fracture Characterization,” Ceramic Transactions, 156, 49-58 (2004)
6) Z. -H. Xie, P. Munroe, R. J. Moon, M. Hoffman, “Characterization of Surface Contact-Induced Fracture in Ceramics Using a Focused Ion Beam Miller,” Wear, 255, 651-656 (2003)
5) Z. -H. Xie, R. Moon, M. Hoffman, P. Munroe, Y.-B. Cheng, “Microstructural Effect on Grinding and Polishing of α-SiAlON Ceramics,” J. Euro. Ceram. Soc., 23, 2351-2360 (2003)
4) Z. -H. Xie, M. Hoffman, R. Moon, P. Munroe, Y.-B. Cheng, “Scratch Damage in Ceramics: Role of Microstructure,” J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 86, 141-148 (2003)
3) Z. -H. Xie, P. Munroe, M. Hoffman, R. J. Moon and Y. –B. Cheng, “Application of Focused Ion Beam Miller in Microstructure and Fracture Characterization,” Key Eng. Mater., 247, 297-300 (2003)
2) Z. -H. Xie, M. Hoffman, Y.-B. Cheng, “Microstructural Tailoring and Characterisation of a Ca α-SiAlON Composition,” J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 85, 812-818 (2002)
1) Y.-B. Cheng, Z. -H. Xie, M. Hoffman and P. Munroe “Microstructural Tailoring and Mechanical Properties of Ca α-SiAlON Ceramics,” Key Eng. Mater., 224-226, 251-56 (2002)
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Wednesday, 2 Jan 2019
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/zonghan.xie