Make your impact!
Create a team, take action and compete with others from across the university to become the greenest of them all.
Green Impact is a fun and simple way for staff to meet new people and make positive change to the workplace and our environment. It is a structured program that helps people make a difference in their area and supports them in achieving actions.
Over a five month period, teams make small changes in their area to reduce energy and water, increase recycling, improve purchasing decisions, and engage their colleagues in sustainability.
65 staff participated in the 2018 pilot program, completing 427 actions.
How to get involved
- Create or join a Green Team
- Undertake actions from our tailored online Action Bank
- Earn points for your team and compete against other teams
- Get recognised for your efforts
Email Ecoversity to learn more or arrange an information session in your area.
Why get involved?
- Green Impact is easy, free, fun and rewarding
- make your workplace a more enjoyable and efficient place to work
- meet new people who care about the type of things that you do
- get recognised for positive actions and be in the running to win prizes
- learn about social and environmental issues that impact the campus
- benefit from the shared experience of thousands of others across the country, who participate in Green Impact
- How does Green Impact work?
Teams of staff and PhD students take part by doing fun and engaging actions that improve sustainability in their work space. Actions are selected from an online Action Bank, and are split into different categories, depending on their impact and level of difficulty. As teams complete actions, they earn points and compete against other teams to win prizes.
- Will Green Impact be a lot of work?
No! You don’t have to tackle every action – but you can if you want to.
The main aim is to help raise awareness of sustainability and take direct positive action within your work place.
You’d be surprised at what you can achieve in 10 minutes per week.
- What resources are available to help?
The majority of actions can be done at zero cost with minimal effort. The Ecoversity team can help with communications material and campaign collateral including:
- Posters, templates and fact sheets
- Social media and newsletter content, statistics and digital signage
- Advice and ideas
- Competition give-away's
- Can students join green teams?
Yes. But this is predominantly a program for staff and PhD students. Green Impact relies on participants having a reasonable level of influence, which undergrads don’t always have. If they do join Teams, it's recommended that they take a supportive role and that the majority of communications come from a staff member.
Undergrads are encouraged to be involved in the Student Review step of the program.
- Can I really make a difference?
Yes! Actions directly link to targets and strategies from the Campus Sustainability Plan and the process of completing Actions will help areas develop additional plans for greening their work space, change behaviours, and help foster a culture of sustainability on campus.
- What dates should I be aware of?
- April to August 2019: Teams complete actions
- Friday 30 August 2019: Submission of online Action Banks
- Wednesday 25 September (mid semester break): Student training day and evidence review
- Wednesday 30 October: Green Impact Awards event