for International Students
Experience Life in an Australian Home
If you enrol at the English Language Centre you can stay with an Australian 'Homestay' family. This is a safe and welcoming way to settle into your new city, learn about the culture and practise English in real situations.
Please note that this option is only available to students of the University of Adelaide's English Language Centre and must be for a minimum of 5 weeks.
Why Choose Homestay?
The goal of Homestay is to allow students and hosts to share and exchange experiences. By participating in Homestay you have the chance to join in the daily life and customs of Australians.
You have the opportunity to participate in various activities with your hosts, such as outings, sports, hobbies, dining out, shopping and most importantly, learning English in everyday settings.
What Can You Expect?
- Airport reception and farewell
- A clean, comfortable home environment
- Your own furnished bedroom including a desk
- 3 meals per day: breakfast, a packed lunch and dinner
- Access to laundry facilities, bathroom, computer/laptop, internet and telephone
- Your home will be easily accessible by public transport (less than 45 minutes from our Centre)
- Ongoing support from our Homestay Coordinator.
International students in homestay are part of the family. Living with a family is different from staying in a hotel. Students are encouraged to get involved in family outings and activities, help out with household chores and actively communicate and engage with their family.
Our Homestay Families
Like most modern societies, Australian households vary. A homestay family does not necessarily mean a two-parent family with children. Hosts may be single individuals, married couples, single parents with children, couples or partners with or without children. Backgrounds vary greatly. Most importantly, hosts have an interest in sharing their own culture with others and are eager to learn about other languages and cultures.
New homestay families are interviewed and their homes visited by the Homestay Coordinator to assess interest, suitability, and concern for the growth and development of the student. The emphasis is on a home that provides the student with comfortable surroundings and a place for practising and developing English language skills.
The English Language Centre continually works hard to ensure that international students are placed with families who best match the needs of each student with consideration given to preferred family type, dietary requirements, pets, children and student interests.
|Accommodation Fee:||$260 AUD per week|
|Placement Fee:||$250 AUD|
The Placement Fee and 5 weeks Accommodation Fee is payable when you submit your application. After 5 weeks, students may make their own arrangements with their host families.
Please contact our Homestay Coordinator on +61 08 8313 4777 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
How Do I Apply?
Application for the University of Adelaide, English Language Centre's Homestay Program can be completed here: Homestay Application.
This application form may take some time to complete. To prepare for this, please ensure that you have the following ready BEFORE you start this application form:
- a recent photo of yourself ready to upload (less than 5MB)
- your flight details (date, time, airline and flight number) - if available
- any English Language Proficiency Test results (e.g. IELTS, TOEFL) ready to upload (less than 5MB) - if available
- a short letter to your Host Family (approx 200 words). You can copy & paste from another file, or have it written on paper to type in the last section.
This is a secure form that must be completed in one session. You cannot save and return to this form. Once you have submitted it, you will receive a copy of the information by email.