Skip to content

International Students Under the Age of 18

If you are an international student under the age of 18 and you have received an offer of study from the University of Adelaide then you can commence studies at the University if you are living;

  • with your parent
  • with an eligible relative or,
  • in University approved care arrangements (17 year olds only).
  • Living With a Parent or Eligible Relative

    If you are planning to live with your parent or an eligible relative then you will need to have your parent complete the Welfare Arrangements Form which you will receive with your offer package; you will need to complete this form before receiving a Confirmation of Enrolment. Please note you will need to provide evidence to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection that you are living with your parent or eligible relative in order to be granted a student visa.

    The Department of Immigration and Border Protection define an eligible relative as a parent (including adoptive), brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister, grandparent, step-grandparent, aunt, uncle, step-aunt, step-uncle, niece, nephew, step-niece or step-nephew over the age of 21 years. There is no age requirement for these options.

  • University Approved Care Arrangements

    The University of Adelaide has introduced an additional option for international students who wish to to commence their degree studies, prior to their 18th birthdays. The change of policy is in response to many requests from parents and schools to make more options available to younger students. This option is available to students who will be 17 years of age upon commencement of their University studies.

    Under our previous policy, all younger students were required to live with an "eligible relative" in Adelaide. The new arrangements enable 17 year olds to begin their studies at the University of Adelaide without a family member having to relocate to Adelaide to live with the child.

    Parents and students may now enter into a Welfare Monitoring Agreement with the University. Under this Agreement the University will identify suitable semester long accommodation and provide a welfare monitoring service to international students who are 17 years of age and do not have a parent or eligible relative living in Adelaide.

    The services offered to University of Adelaide international students covered by the Welfare Monitoring Agreement are:

    • Identification of an appropriate accommodation arrangement for each student.
    • Regular one-to-one contact with students via phone and face-to-face meetings.

    The University will oversee any critical incident and emergency response processes required for under 18 students.

Frequently Asked Questions

Introduction to the Welfare Monitoring Agreement

The University's Approved Accommodation

Signing Up to the Welfare Monitoring Agreement

  • How do I obtain a copy of the Welfare Monitoring Agreement?

    If you are eligible for an offer to a place at the University you be issued the Welfare Monitoring Agreement with your offer letter.

  • I would like to sign up to the Welfare Monitoring Agreement. How do I accept my offer to the University?

    Please forward the following items to the International Office:

    • Evidence conditions (if any) have been met
    • Signed and dated "Acceptance Agreement" - it must also be signed by one of your parents
    • Signed and dated "Declaration of Financial Capacity" - it must also be signed by one of your parents
    • "Welfare Arrangements for Students Under the Age of 18" form - signed and dated by one of your parents
    • Evidence of Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the expected duration of your visa
    • Payment of AUD9,000 tuition fee deposit
    • Payment of the Administration Fee, Accommodation Placement Fee and Welfare Monitoring Fee as specified in your offer
    • Copy of the personal details page of your passport

    These items may be emailed to and hard copies mailed to: Student Recruitment and Admissions Services, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide SA 5005. Alternatively you may lodge your documents at Hub Central.

  • I have signed up to the Welfare Monitoring Agreement. What happens after I lodge my acceptance paperwork with the University?

    If your paperwork is complete International Office staff will issue you with a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE), and a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare letter (CAAW). You will receive a further email from your assigned welfare monitor to arrange a time to meet a few days later.


What Happens After I Turn 18 Years of Age?


  • Can I defer my place at the University until after I turn 18 years of age?

    You can apply to defer entry until a later semester if you'd prefer to start your studies after you've turned 18. Some exceptions do apply eg music programs.

  • Should I let the University know about changes in my contact phone number or email address?

    Yes. The University must be able to contact you if it is necessary. Please email any changes to the International Office by using the web form available at:

    If you have already received your CoEs and have enrolled, please update your contact details through Access Adelaide.

  • Costs

    The Welfare Monitoring Agreement fees are as follows:

    Fee 2017 Amount 2018 Amount Payment Terms
    Administration Fee AUD 300 AUD 300 Payable when securing accommodation

    Accommodation Placement Fee AUD 350 AUD 350 Payable when securing accommodation

    Accommodation Fee AUD 390 per week for 26 weeks

    AUD 410 per week for 26 weeks

    Paid to the University by 31 March (semester 1) or 31 August (semester 2)

    Welfare Monitoring Fee AUD 75 per week (payable until student's 18th birthday)

    AUD 80 per week (payable until student's 18th birthday)

    Payable when securing accommodation

Education Services for Overseas Students



Coordinator Compliance