Travellers should consider hiring a car when driving is more cost-effective than airline or taxis, travelling with other colleagues and/or clients, or transporting large or bulky material.
Booking Hire Cars
Note the following when booking a hire car:
- Rental cars for domestic & international travel should be booked through the SAVI or directly with FCM Travel Solutions when bundled with other travel arrangements such as flights and/or accommodation. FCM Travel Solutions have access to the University's discounted rates with Avis.
- For "car only" bookings, staff are advised to book directly with Avis.
- Standard size (sedan or smaller) cars should be utilised when hiring a car unless a larger vehicle is required for a valid reason.
- Cardholders require an Avis AWD (Avis Worldwide Discount) number to access the University's corporate rates which can be obtained from the Expense Management Team on ext 33330.
- Additional insurance may not be required as the University has it's own insurance policy for vehicle hire. Contact Legal & Risk to confirm insurance cover.
Non Standard Vehicle Hire
Where vehicle requirements fall outside of the standard vehicle hire (e.g. off-roading vehicles) which cannot be sourced by Avis or FCM Travel Solutions, these may be booked directly with a reputable supplier.
Hire of Motorcycles/Vespas
University insurance covers light truck and passenger class vehicles only. The policy definition specifies that a passenger class vehicle is one of the following: hatchback, sedan, van, mini-van, station wagon or four-wheel-drive and excludes campervans and motorcycles.
If you require clarification, please contact Legal & Risk.
Car Hire for Non Cardholders
To access the University's corporate rates, Travel Arrangers making bookings for non cardholders will require a Wizard number (which is usually applied for at the time of credit card application). Email the Expense Management Team for further information.