Please find below resources and guides on flipped learning.
The guides below are interactive multimedia modules.
Play the video to access each module.
1. 7 steps to flipping with a framework
2. How and where do I start? A simple blueprint exercise
3. How to flip a classroom using Bloom's Instructional Design Framework
4. Flipped classroom design framework
This design framework created by the Flipped Classroom Community of Practice provides teachers with a simple and peer reviewed flipped classroom guide that helps teachers plan and link each learning segment in a flipped learning cycle. It is a user-friendly guide and includes examples of learning activities that can be used to achieve the required learning outcomes at each stage of learning.
Download the flipped classroom design framework.
5. Guides for pre-class, in-class and evaluate the effectiveness
Flipping large classes
1. Flipping large classes with Dr Michelle French
2. Flipping the Public Law classroom by Matthew Stubbs
3. How we met the challenge of enabling students to learn by doing in a large first year Psychology Research Methods course
4. Flipping the large enrollment psychology classroom (NC State University)
Presentations about flipping
1. Finding your critical friends - experiences from a flipped classroom community of practice
2. Building collegial partnerships in a flipped classroom community of practice to enhance the student and staff experience through active scholarly engagement
List of readings
- Aşıksoy, G. & Özdamlı, F. (2016). Flipped Classroom adapted to the ARCS Model of Motivation and applied to a Physics Course. Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science & Technology Education. 2016, Vol. 12 Issue 6, p1589-1603.
- Balan, P., Clark, M. & Restall, G. (2015). 'Preparing students for Flipped or Team-Based Learning methods', Education + Training, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 639-657. (ERA A*)
- Chen, L., Chen, T. & Chen, N. (2015). Students’ perspectives of using cooperative learning in a flipped statistics classroom. AJET.
- Chiang, Y. & Wang, H. (2015). Effects of the In-flipped Classroom on the Learning Environment of Database Engineering. International Journal of Engineering Education Volume: 31 Issue: 2 Pages: 454-460.
- Cho, H., Osborne, C., Sanders, T. & Park, K. (2015). Multidimensional teaching: Thoughtful ways of creating a flipped classroom. Korean Journal of Mathematics Volume: 23 Issue: 1 Pages: 93-114.
- Donovan, J. & Lee, S. (2015). How We Flipped: Student and Instructor Reflections of a Flipped-Class Model in a Sensory Evaluation Laboratory Course. NACTA Journal59.4 (Dec 2015): 335-342.
- Fidalgo-Blancoa, A., Martinez-Nuñezb, M., Borrás-Genec, O. & Sanchez-Medinad, J. (2016). Micro flip teaching ‒ An innovative model to promote the active involvement of students. Computers in Human Behavior.
- Flipped classroom trends: A survey of college faculty. (2015). Faculty focus: Special report.
- Fulton, K. P. (2013). Byron’s flipped classrooms. Education Digest, 79(1), 22-26.
- Gilboy, M. B., Heinerichs, S., & Pazzaglia, G. (2015). Enhancing student engagement using the flipped classroom. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 47(1), 109–114.
- Goodwin, B., & Miller, K. (2013). Evidence on flipped classrooms is still coming in. Educational Leadership, 70(6), 78-80.
- Hang in there! Dealing with student resistance to learner-centered teaching. (2011).
- Hanson, J. (2015). Surveying the experiences and perceptions of undergraduate nursing students of a flipped classroom approach to increase understanding of drug science and its application to clinical practice. Nurse Education in Practice Volume: 16 Issue: 1 Pages: 79-85.
- Herein, C. & Schiller, N. (2013). Case Studies and the Flipped Classroom. Journal of College Science Teaching
- Herein, C., Schiller, N., Herein, K. & Wright, C. (2014). Chat With the Survey Monkey: Case Studies and the Flipped Classroom. Journal of College Science Teaching44.1 (Sep/Oct 2014): 75-80.
- Heyborne, W. & Perrett, J. (2016). To Flip or Not to Flip? Analysis of a Flipped Classroom Pedagogy in a General Biology Course. Journal of College Science Teaching45.4 (Mar/Apr 2016): 31-37.
- Hodkiewicz, M. (2014). Insights Gained from Analysis of Performance and Participation in a Flipped Classroom. Education Research and Perspectives; v.41 p.254-284.
- Honeycutt, B. (2015). Looking for ‘Flippable’ moments in your class.
- Hotle, S. & Garrow, L. (2016). Effects of the Traditional and Flipped Classrooms on Undergraduate Student Opinions and Success. Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice Volume: 142 Issue: 1.
- Khanova, J., Roth, M., Rodgers, J. & McLaughlin, J. (2015). Student experiences across multiple flipped courses in a single curriculum. MEDICAL EDUCATION Volume: 49 Issue: 10 Pages: 1038-1048.
- Kim, M. K., Kim, S. M., Khera, O., & Getman, J. (2014). The experience of three flipped classrooms in an urban university: An exploration of design principles. The Internet and Higher Education, 22, 37–50.
- Koo, C., Dempts, E., Farris, C. & et al (2016). Impact of Flipped Classroom Design on Student Performance and Perceptions in a Pharmacotherapy Course. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education Volume: 80 Issue: 2 Article Number: 33.
- Long, D., Levy, R. & Lape, N. (2015). Why No Difference? A Controlled Flipped Classroom Study for an Introductory Differential Equations Course. PRIMUS: Problems, Resources, and Issues in Mathematics Undergraduate Studies Volume 25, Issue 9-10.
- Long, T., Logan, J. & Waugh, M. (2016). Students’ Perceptions of the Value of Using Videos as a Pre-class Learning Experience in the Flipped Classroom. TechTrends :Linking Research & Practice to Improve Learning/ vol. 60/ issue 3, p245-252.
- Lucky, T., Dunn, P. & Christie, M. (2016). Activating learning in engineering education using ICT and the concept of ‘Flipping the classroom’. European Journal of Engineering Education.
- McCallum, S., Schulz, J., Sellke, K. & Spartz, J. (2015). An Examination of the Flipped Classroom Approach on College Student Academic Involvement. International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, v27 n1 p42-55. 14 pp.
- McLean, S., Attardi, S., Faden, L. & et al. (2016). Flipped classrooms and student learning: not just surface gains. Advances in Physiology Education Volume: 40 Issue: 1 Pages: 47-55.
- Park, S. & Howell, T. (2015). Implementation of a Flipped Classroom Educational Model in a Predoctoral Dental Course. Journal of Dental Education Volume: 79 Issue: 5 Pages: 563-570.
- Perks, A. & Dupuis, R. (2014). An Eight-year Retrospective Study in “Flipped” Pharmacokinetics Courses. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education78.10: 1-7.
- Ryan, M. & Reid, S. (2016). Impact of the Flipped Classroom on Student Performance and Retention: A Parallel Controlled Study in General Chemistry. Journal of Chemical Education Volume: 93 Issue: 1 Pages: 13-23.
- Sadaghiani, H. (2012). Online Prelectures : An Alternative to Textbook Reading Assignments. Physics Teacher, v50 n5 p301-303.
- See, S., & Conry, J. M. (2014). Flip my class! A faculty development demonstration of a flipped-classroom. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning, 6(4), 585–588.
- Sohrabi, B. & Traj, H. (2016). Implementing flipped classroom using digital media: A comparison of two demographically different groups perceptions. Computers in Human Behavior Volume: 60 Pages: 514-524.
- Tanner, M. & Scott, E. (2015). A Flipped Classroom Approach to Teaching Systems Analysis, Design and Implementation. Journal of Information Technology Education: Research, v14 p219-241.
- Tawfik, A. & Lilly, C. (2015). Using a Flipped Classroom Approach to Support Problem-Based Learning. Technology, Knowledge and LEarning , Vol: 20 Issue: 3 p299-315.
- Tedesco, H. & Troy, C. (2016). Why This Flip Wasn’t a Flop: What the Numbers Don’t Tell You About Flipped Classes. ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition.
- Van Vliet, E., Winnips, J. & Brouwer, N. (2015). Flipped-Class Pedagogy Enhances Student Metacognition and Collaborative-Learning Strategies in Higher Education But Effect Does Not Persist. CBE-LIFE Sciences Education Volume: 14 Issue: 3 Article Number: ar26.
- Veeramani, R., Madhugiri, V. & Chand, P. (2015). Perception of MBBS students to "flipped class room " approach in neuroanatomy module. Anatomy & cell biology Volume: 48 Issue: 2 Pages: 138-43.
- Weimer, M. (2010). Student learning: Six causes of resistance.
Implementation plan template
Answers to your uppermost questions
1. How do I evaluate the effectiveness of my flipped classroom?
Presented by Dr Isabelle Barrette-Ng, Senior Instructor Biochemistry and Teaching Scholar from the University of Calgary.
2. What if students don't watch the videos? (part 1 & 2)
Discipline examples of pre-class activities
1. Gingival diagnosis
2. Periodontal diagnosis
4. TMJ key concepts
5. Anatomical terms