Flipped Classroom Resources
- Flipping Large Classes
- Presentations about Flipping
- List of Readings
- Implementation Plan Template
The guides below are interactive multimedia modules. Use Firefox browser for best viewing.
Click on the image to access each module.
1. 7 Steps to Flipping with a Framework
2. How and Where do I start? A Simple Blueprint Exercise
3. How to Flip a classroom using Bloom's Instructional Design Framework
4. Flipped Classroom Design Framework
This design framework created by the Flipped Classroom Community of Practice provides teachers with a simple and
5. Guides for Pre-Class, In-Class and Evaluate the Effectiveness
- A guide to developing pre-class checkpoint questions
- A guide to developing in-class checkpoint questions/activities
- A guide to evaluating the effectiveness of a Flipped Classroom
1. Flipping Large Classes with
2. Flipping the Public Law Classroom by Matthew Stubbs
3. How We Met the Challenge of Enabling Students to Learn by Doing in a Large First Year Psychology Research Methods Course
4. Flipping The Large Enrollment Psychology Classroom (NC State University)
1. Finding Your Critical Friends - Experiences from a Flipped Classroom Community of Practice
2. Building Collegial Partnerships in a Flipped Classroom Community of Practice to Enhance the Student and Staff Experience through Active Scholarly Engagement
- Aşıksoy, G. & Özdamlı, F. (2016). Flipped Classroom adapted to the ARCS Model of Motivation and applied to a Physics Course. Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science & Technology Education. 2016, Vol. 12 Issue 6, p1589-1603.
- Balan, P., Clark, M. & Restall, G. (2015). 'Preparing students for Flipped or Team-Based Learning methods', Education + Training, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 639-657. (ERA A*)
- Chen, L., Chen, T. & Chen, N. (2015). Students’ perspectives of using cooperative learning in a flipped statistics classroom. AJET.
- Chiang, Y. & Wang, H. (2015). Effects of the In-flipped Classroom on the Learning Environment of Database Engineering. International Journal of Engineering Education Volume: 31 Issue: 2 Pages: 454-460.
- Cho, H., Osborne, C., Sanders, T. & Park, K. (2015). Multidimensional teaching: Thoughtful ways of creating a flipped classroom. Korean Journal of Mathematics Volume: 23 Issue: 1 Pages: 93-114.
- Donovan, J. & Lee, S. (2015). How We Flipped: Student and Instructor Reflections of a Flipped-Class Model in a Sensory Evaluation Laboratory Course. NACTA Journal59.4 (Dec 2015): 335-342.
- Fidalgo-Blancoa, A., Martinez-Nuñezb, M., Borrás-Genec, O. & Sanchez-Medinad, J. (2016). Micro flip teaching ‒ An innovative model to promote the active involvement of students. Computers in Human Behavior.
- Flipped classroom trends: A survey of college faculty. (2015). Faculty focus: Special report.
- Fulton, K. P. (2013). Byron’s flipped classrooms. Education Digest, 79(1), 22-26.
- Gilboy, M. B., Heinerichs, S., & Pazzaglia, G. (2015). Enhancing student engagement using the flipped classroom. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 47(1), 109–114.
- Goodwin, B., & Miller, K. (2013). Evidence on flipped classrooms is still coming in. Educational Leadership, 70(6), 78-80.
- Hang in there! Dealing with student resistance to learner-centered teaching. (2011).
- Hanson, J. (2015). Surveying the experiences and perceptions of undergraduate nursing students of a flipped classroom approach to increase understanding of drug science and its application to clinical practice. Nurse Education in Practice Volume: 16 Issue: 1 Pages: 79-85.
- Herein, C. & Schiller, N. (2013). Case Studies and the Flipped Classroom. Journal of College Science Teaching
- Herein, C., Schiller, N., Herein, K. & Wright, C. (2014). Chat With the Survey Monkey: Case Studies and the Flipped Classroom. Journal of College Science Teaching44.1 (Sep/Oct 2014): 75-80.
- Heyborne, W. & Perrett, J. (2016). To Flip or Not to Flip? Analysis of a Flipped Classroom Pedagogy in a General Biology Course. Journal of College Science Teaching45.4 (Mar/Apr 2016): 31-37.
- Hodkiewicz, M. (2014). Insights Gained from Analysis of Performance and Participation in a Flipped Classroom. Education Research and Perspectives; v.41 p.254-284.
- Honeycutt, B. (2015). Looking for ‘Flippable’ moments in your class.
- Hotle, S. & Garrow, L. (2016). Effects of the Traditional and Flipped Classrooms on Undergraduate Student Opinions and Success. Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice Volume: 142 Issue: 1.
- Khanova, J., Roth, M., Rodgers, J. & McLaughlin, J. (2015). Student experiences across multiple flipped courses in a single curriculum. MEDICAL EDUCATION Volume: 49 Issue: 10 Pages: 1038-1048.
- Kim, M. K., Kim, S. M., Khera, O., & Getman, J. (2014). The experience of three flipped classrooms in an urban university: An exploration of design principles. The Internet and Higher Education, 22, 37–50.
- Koo, C., Dempts, E., Farris, C. & et al (2016). Impact of Flipped Classroom Design on Student Performance and Perceptions in a Pharmacotherapy Course. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education Volume: 80 Issue: 2 Article Number: 33.
- Long, D., Levy, R. & Lape, N. (2015). Why No Difference? A Controlled Flipped Classroom Study for an Introductory Differential Equations Course. PRIMUS: Problems, Resources, and Issues in Mathematics Undergraduate Studies Volume 25, Issue 9-10.
- Long, T., Logan, J. & Waugh, M. (2016). Students’ Perceptions of the Value of Using Videos as a Pre-class Learning Experience in the Flipped Classroom. TechTrends
:LinkingResearch & Practice to Improve Learning/ vol. 60/ issue3, p245-252.
- Lucky, T., Dunn, P. & Christie, M. (2016). Activating learning in engineering education using ICT and the concept of ‘Flipping the classroom’. European Journal of Engineering Education.
- McCallum, S., Schulz, J., Sellke, K. & Spartz, J. (2015). An Examination of the Flipped Classroom Approach on College Student Academic Involvement. International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, v27 n1 p42-55. 14 pp.
- McLean, S., Attardi, S., Faden, L. & et al. (2016). Flipped classrooms and student learning: not just surface gains. Advances in Physiology Education Volume: 40 Issue: 1 Pages: 47-55.
- Park, S. & Howell, T. (2015). Implementation of a Flipped Classroom Educational Model in a Predoctoral Dental Course. Journal of Dental Education Volume: 79 Issue: 5 Pages: 563-570.
- Perks, A. & Dupuis, R. (2014). An Eight-year Retrospective Study in “Flipped” Pharmacokinetics Courses. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education78.10: 1-7.
- Ryan, M. & Reid, S. (2016). Impact of the Flipped Classroom on Student Performance and Retention: A Parallel Controlled Study in General Chemistry. Journal of Chemical Education Volume: 93 Issue: 1 Pages: 13-23.
- Sadaghiani, H. (2012). Online
- See, S., & Conry, J. M. (2014). Flip my class! A faculty development demonstration of a flipped-classroom. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning, 6(4), 585–588.
- Sohrabi, B. & Traj, H. (2016). Implementing flipped classroom using digital media: A comparison of two demographically different groups perceptions. Computers in Human Behavior Volume: 60 Pages: 514-524.
- Tanner, M. & Scott, E. (2015). A Flipped Classroom Approach to Teaching Systems Analysis, Design and Implementation. Journal of Information Technology Education: Research, v14 p219-241.
- Tawfik, A. & Lilly, C. (2015). Using a Flipped Classroom Approach to Support Problem-Based Learning. Technology, Knowledge and
- Tedesco, H. & Troy, C. (2016). Why This Flip Wasn’t a Flop: What the Numbers Don’t Tell You About Flipped Classes. ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition.
- Van Vliet, E., Winnips, J. & Brouwer, N. (2015). Flipped-Class Pedagogy Enhances Student Metacognition and Collaborative-Learning Strategies in Higher Education But Effect Does Not Persist. CBE-LIFE Sciences Education Volume: 14 Issue: 3 Article Number: ar26.
- Veeramani, R., Madhugiri, V. & Chand, P. (2015). Perception of MBBS students to "flipped
class room" approach in neuroanatomy module. Anatomy & cell biology Volume: 48 Issue: 2 Pages: 138-43.
- Weimer, M. (2010). Student learning: Six causes of resistance.
Download Flipped Class Implementation Plan Template (Word doc)