FOODplus Research Centre
To improve the lives of young families through research excellence in food and nutritional sciences.
- Develop human health research programs in food and nutrition, with a particular focus on young families
- Enhance the nutritional value of food plants and animals through agronomic means and work with food manufacturers to develop these into new food products
- Prove the clinical value of foods through large scale, high-quality, randomised, controlled trials
- Train a new generation of nutritionists who have a clear understanding of evidence-based decision-making.
Our Research Will
- Produce new tools to help nutritional studies be run in the community
- Identify novel biomarkers for human nutritional intake
- Produce high-quality evidence, from nutritional intervention trials involving mothers, babies and children, to inform policy makers and health professionals.
- A novel system for stabilising fatty acids collected in a blood spot on filter paper
- New dietary approaches to improve the iodine status of pregnant women and their infants
- Low glycaemic index (GI) breakfast foods from a high amylose wheat developed at the Waite Campus
- The effect of maternal omega-3 fatty acid supplementation on the growth and developmental outcomes of school-age children
- Plant oligosaccharides to regulate inflammatory/allergic responses.