Forms and Information:
Major Review of Progress
- What is the Major Review?
For most of you, the Major Review of Progress is the second major progress milestone you will complete in your research degree. The Major Review is a pivotal point in candidature at which your supervisors and School will assess whether you have the skills, aptitude and ability to complete your degree within the expected timeframe; their assessment will determine what happens next.
Those students who successfully complete the Major Review will be confirmed in candidature. Some students may need additional time to achieve confirmation, in which case an extended Major Review of Progress is undertaken, and for others an alternative program of study may prove more suitable.
- Should I Complete the Online Major Review or the Paper Based Form?
In late 2018 the Graduate Centre is transitioning from a paper-based Major Review form to a fully online process. Following the initial launch of the online form there will be a period during which students may complete either the paper-based Major Review or the online Major Review form. On conclusion of the transition period (at the end of the year), all students will move to completion of the Major Review online.
MAJOR REVIEW Due Date MAJOR REVIEW Review Type Prior to 31st December 2018 Paper or Online From 1st January 2019 Online
- Major Review Workflow Maps
Click on the image below to view full size:
- Major Review Checklist (Student)
Before you begin, please work through the checklist to ensure that you will have on hand all of the information that you require to complete the form.
Before accessing the form
- Check your personal details in Access Adelaide and update them if necessary. If you are unfamiliar with Access Adelaide, please familiarise yourself with the Access Adelaide guide for Postgraduate Research Students.
- Check your Supervisors and their roles and percentages of responsibility are accurately recorded in Access Adelaide. ONLY your official Principal Supervisor will be able to approve your online Major Review (your co-supervisor(s) will have view only access), therefore, it is essential that you advise the Graduate Centre of any changes by completing the Change of Supervisor Details form before you commence the review process.
- Check that your candidature details (e.g. research topic, attendance status) are accurately recorded. If any changes are required, you will need to complete the relevant form, available on the web on the Candidature Management website and lodge it with the Adelaide Graduate Centre.
- Prepare a report on your research progress to date (around one page of text).
- Update your completion plan Gantt chart templates.
Career and Research Skills Training (CaRST)
- Save a PDF of your CaRST Progress Summary, available from CaRST Online, and reflect on your CaRST progress to date.
- What is the Process for completing the online Major Review?
Completing the Review (Student)
- Prior to the meeting with the Candidature Confirmation Review Committee, and at least three weeks in advance of the required completion date for your Major Review, work through the Major Review checklist as you complete the student sections of the form, including the written progress report, submission of your Gantt chart or completion plan and submission of your CaRST Summary.
- Your Principal Supervisor will nominate the members of the Candidature Confirmation Review Committee (which will normally, at minimum, comprise your supervisors and the Postgraduate Coordinator) and organise a time for you to meet with the Committee to:
- Review your research progress and planned research direction.
- Review your Gantt chart or completion plan detailing the timelines for your research from candidature commencement to thesis submission.
- Review your Career and Research Skills Training (CaRST) Summary.
- Review your professional relationships with your supervisor(s) to ensure your mutual expectations are aligned.
- Discuss any required oral presentation.
- Discuss any problems or issues that have (or may) impact on your productivity.
- Following assessment by the Candidature Confirmation Review Committee, the form will be returned to you to review the Committee’s comments and submit the form for further processing.
Major Review Tracking (Student)
- After submitting your portion of the Major Review to your Principal Supervisor and meeting with the Candidature Confirmation Review Committee, ensure you regularly log back into your Major Review dashboard to track the progress of approvals by your Principal Supervisor and the Chair of the Candidature Confirmation Review Committee. It is your responsibility to ensure that your Principal Supervisor and Chair action the form and submit it to the Graduate Centre prior to the due date for the Major Review.
- If your Major Review has not been actioned within the recommended timeframe by your Principal Supervisor, please follow up with them to request that they review and action the form.
- If there are extenuating circumstances that will affect your ability (or your School’s) to complete and lodge the Major Review by the due date, ensure that you discuss the situation with your Principal Supervisor and request that he or she apply for an extension on your behalf by emailing the Adelaide Graduate Centre. The email should detail the length of extension sought (typically one month) and the reasons for the request.
Completing the Review (Principal Supervisor)
- On receipt of your student’s submitted Major Review you will need to review the information they have provided, make comments on behalf of the supervisory panel and provide an assessment of your student’s level of progress relative to the standards and timeframe for completion of their degree.
- If there is any further information or changes required, you can return the form to the student for amendment, and include comments outlining the changes required. The student will then be able to edit the Major Review form and resubmit it to you as Principal Supervisor for further review.
- You will be asked to nominate the members of the Candidature Confirmation Review Committee, who will normally comprise, at a minimum, all of the student’s supervisors together with the Postgraduate Coordinator (PGC) as the Chair. Note that if the PGC is a member of the student’s supervisory panel, you will need to nominate another authorised School Approver to chair the Candidature Confirmation Review Committee and complete the online assessment on behalf of the School.
- You will also be able to propose a date for the meeting of the Candidature Confirmation Review Committee within your section of the form.
Major Review View only access (Co-Supervisor/External Supervisor)
- Once the Principal Supervisor has submitted the Major Review, student’s Co-Supervisors, External Supervisors and/or any other Committee members nominated by the Principal Supervisor will be able to view the form by logging in via the button below. Note that this access is view only – the Principal Supervisor is responsible for entering and submitting an assessment of the form on behalf of the supervisory panel.
Candidature Confirmation Review Committee Meeting
- At this stage, the Candidature Confirmation Review Committee meeting is held to discuss the student’s progress. Meeting attendees comprise the student, their supervisory panel, the Chair as nominated by the Principal Supervisor (usually the Postgraduate Coordinator), and any other committee members nominated by the Principal Supervisor.
- Following this, the Chair will complete their section of the form based on the outcomes of the meeting.
Completing the Review (Chair of the Candidature Confirmation Review Committee, HDR Convenor, Dean of Graduate Studies and Graduate Centre Processing)
- The form will now advance to the nominated Chair of the Candidature Confirmation Review Committee.
- After the Chair has entered the assessment of the Candidature Confirmation Review Committee and certified the form on behalf of the School, it will be returned to the student to review the assessment and submit the form for further processing.
- If the student did not indicate they were CaRST exempt, the form will now go to the AGC CaRST team for review, otherwise it will go direct to step 4.
- If the Committee recommended Confirmation of Candidature, the form will now go to the Graduate Centre for final processing (skip to step 8).
- If the Committee recommended an option other than Confirmation of Candidature, the form will now go to the HDR Convenor to review the student’s progress together with the Principal Supervisor’s and Chair’s recommendations on behalf of the School.
- Once the HDR Convenor has certified the form on behalf of the Faculty, it will then be forwarded to Dean of Graduate Studies for review.
- Once reviewed by the Dean of Graduate Studies, the form will go to the Graduate Centre for final processing.
- The completed Major Review form will be examined by staff in the Graduate Centre and any issues identified will be pursued at the appropriate level.
- At the first opportunity, Graduate Centre staff will advise the student, supervisors and any other members of the Candidature Confirmation Review Committee of the outcome of the Major Review via email.
- Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have questions about the Major Review? Browse through the FAQ's.