Skip to content
Currently Under Review

Transferring From Another Institution

If you are a higher degree by research candidate at another institution and you wish to transfer your candidature to the University of Adelaide, you will need to submit a formal application for admission and credit.

Where applicable (domestic students only), your maximum Research Training Program (RTP) entitlement will be reduced by the number of full-time equivalent (FTE) days for which you were enrolled at your previous institution and your maximum candidature duration will normally be reduced in parallel.

If your transfer to the University of Adelaide is approved, you will be required to complete a minimum of one year of full-time study and research before submitting your thesis for examination.

Scholarship Holders

Applications for Government-funded scholarship holders to transfer their scholarship from another university to the University of Adelaide will be considered on a case-by-case basis. The University does not undertake to accept all incoming applications.

Note that an application to transfer your scholarship will automatically be rejected if you have completed less than six months of candidature at your previous institution.

Where a scholarship transfer is approved, the duration will be the normal tenure less the number of full-time equivalent (FTE) days for which you were enrolled at your former institution.

International Students

International students are only permitted to transfer their candidature to another university, under exceptional circumstances, within the first 12 months of study: the approval of both the home institution and  the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) are required. If you are considering a transfer, please contact International Student Support for advice.


Level 2, Schulz Building,
The University of Adelaide
SA 5005


Telephone: +61 8 8313 5882
Facsimile: +61 8 8313 5725

Opening Hours

Mon-Fri: 9:00am-5:00pm