Skip to content
Currently Under Review

Study Leave

Please note. This content is from the 2018 Research Student Handbook and should only be used as a guide. Please refer to the 2019 Research Student Handbook PDF for current information.

Study leave is intended for when you wish to undertake fieldwork, research or study towards your research degree whilst located outside the University for a limited period of time, not normally exceeding 12 months in total.

In considering the approval of study leave, factors such as the availability of appropriate supervision, travel costs, subsistence arrangements and means of communication with your University supervisors are taken into account.

An application for study leave before you have completed the core component of the structured program requires both a supporting statement from your principal supervisor and head of school or Postgraduate Coordinator and the approval of the Dean of Graduate Studies.

To apply for a period of study leave, complete the Application for Study Leave form.

To ensure that you are covered by insurance during the time you are absent from the University, your application for study leave must be lodged with the Adelaide Graduate Centre well in advance of your expected departure date. The Graduate Centre will notify you in writing of the results of your application. It is important to note that approval from the Graduate Centre for your study leave does not exempt you from the requirement to seek approval for travel to a high-risk destination where applicable.

What if my study will take me overseas?

All overseas travel for research purposes (for which you have an approved study leave application from the Graduate Centre) is required to be registered in the Global Learning Application System (GLAS) Self-Reporting Overseas Research Program prior to departure. This registration will enable travel safety support services, as well as the opportunity to apply for the $500 Global Learning Travel Grant (conditions apply).

Register Now

Travel Safety

The University has a robust travel safety system in place for all business and study travel. The University has partnered with International SOS to offer students medical, safety and security advice, together with referrals and emotional support when travelling or living abroad.

In your GLAS registration you will receive further information about the travel safety services available to you.

Global Learning Travel Grant

A $500 Global Learning Travel Grant, designed to help fund and support students undertaking international education as part of their degree is available to HDR students who enter their approved international study leave into the Global Learning Application System (GLAS) (conditions apply).

Further information is available from the Study Overseas funding webpage or the Study Overseas contact webpage.

High Risk Travel

Special authorisation is required from the Vice-Chancellor and President for any proposed study leave which will involve travel to a high risk destination for which the DFAT travel advice is ‘reconsider your need to travel’ (level 3 alert) or ‘do not travel’ (level 4 alert). This process assists the University to monitor, manage and, where appropriate, control travel to areas with increased safety risks. The current travel alert levels are available on DFAT’s ‘Smart Traveller’ web site. These are regularly updated and it is important that you check the site and before submitting your study leave application. Where your planned study will involve travel to a high risk destination (DFAT level 3 or 4 alert), you must additionally complete a ‘Request for travel to a high risk destination’ form and obtain approval by the University’s Vice-Chancellor and President before the travel occurs.

In accordance with the University’s travel and entertainment policy, all travel for study/business purposes should be arranged through the University’s preferred travel provider (Campus Travel). Further information is available on the University Travel Website and the Travel and Entertainment Policy and Procedures Policy.

The University highly recommends that you register your travel plans with DFAT at the Smart Traveller website.

Travel Insurance

The University purchases travel insurance for all staff and students travelling interstate or overseas on approved University travel. In general, duration of travel covered is 180 days, however where a period of travel is greater, arrangements for a different category of travel insurance can be made by contacting Legal & Risk. This will incur additional cost.

Where travel is approved by the University, the traveller can access the services of Travel Guard to assist in the management of travel safety.  Travel Guard provide:

AIG Australia has partnered with Travel Guard to provide policyholders and covered travellers with a range of travel security services including:

  • Secure evacuation assistance
  • Security and safety advisories, global risk analysis and consultation specialist
  • Urgent message alerts, reporting and dissemination
  • 24/7/365 response services to assist employees, customers and their families during an incident
  • Online access to up-to-date intelligence:
  1. Breaking news
  2. Worldwide threat assessments and incident reports
  3. Detailed country reports

Please note: The University’s insurer is AIG.  Travel Guard is not the University’s insurance provider, but provides emergency assistance and advice.  The emergency contact number for Travel Guard is  +60 3 2772 5641.  Please quote policy number 2300110171.

For further information and advice, refer to the Legal and Risk website.

International Students

You should be aware that:

  • The University of Adelaide is required to abide by the Commonwealth of Australia's sanction laws which include United Nations Security Council (UNSC) sanction regimes and Australian autonomous sanction regimes. Therefore, if you are a citizen of a country where there is prohibition on providing a 'sanctioned service' your proposed study leave may need to be forwarded to DFAT for consideration. In this event, notification of the decision on your study leave application will take some time.
  • To avoid delays in the approval of your study leave application, particularly if you are a citizen of a country that is subject to sanctions, you must lodge your application well in advance of your proposed travel and prior to making any travel arrangements; a minimum of 15 working days is recommended.
  • The Adelaide Graduate Centre may contact your principal supervisor for further details of your proposed off-site research activity

Level 2, Schulz Building,
The University of Adelaide
SA 5005


Telephone: +61 8 8313 5882
Facsimile: +61 8 8313 5725

Opening Hours

Mon-Fri: 9:00am-5:00pm