Adelaide Graduate Research Scholarships (AGRS)
The University of Adelaide offers a number of Adelaide Graduate Research Scholarships exclusively to its recent graduates to continue their education via a Masters or Doctorate degree by research.
These scholarships were created specifically for outstanding recent graduates whose recent graduate status means they are not competitive for scholarships in the general scholarship rounds (RTPS, ASI). In the general scholarship rounds they would have to compete against the best scholarship applicants worldwide who have generally had many more years to gain valuable research experience and demonstrate academic excellence. For this reason recent eligible University of Adelaide graduates are only ranked in this (AGRS) scholarship cohort where they have a significantly higher chance of winning a scholarship to further their studies.
All applications are ranked in a competitive application process. The selection and ranking of applicants within the University of Adelaide is undertaken by the Graduate Scholarships Committee, using the sole criteria of academic performance.
The Undergraduate Score and the Postgraduate Score are used to formulate the ranking of each application in the round. The Undergraduate Score is derived from the academic results from the applicant's undergraduate degree.
The Postgraduate Score is derived on the basis of honours results or the academic results from the applicant's postgraduate degree (whichever qualification is higher).
The AGRS provides:
- Course tuition fees for two years for a Masters degree by Research and three years for a Doctoral research degree (an extension is possible for doctoral programs only), and
- An annual living allowance ($27,596 in 2019) for two years for a Masters degree by Research and three years for a Doctoral research degree (an extension is possible for doctoral programs only).
- No other allowances will be paid.
Note: The scholarship does not provide an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) allowance.
Conditions and Eligibility Criteria
In order to be eligible for consideration a student must:
- complete their four year undergraduate degree including first class honours in a research based honours program at the University of Adelaide* in that semester OR have completed the above that year or in the previous year; or *This will be deemed to cover students who have completed all of their education at Adelaide and where the committee considers it appropriate students who have completed a lesser period of time but including the honours year.
- be completing their masters degree** with a sufficient research component to be approved by the Research Education Development Committee as a degree acceptable for entry to the PhD (refer to the Academic Program Rules) at the University of Adelaide in that semester OR have completed the above that year or in the previous year; ** Students undertaking a coursework masters degree will be required to obtain an overall grade of Distinction with not less than a High Distinction in their research component(s) to be eligible for scholarships.
- be eligible to enrol as a commencing student in a full-time postgraduate research program at the University of Adelaide in the following semester;
- be an international student; and
- not be currently enrolled in the higher degree by research program at the University of Adelaide for which the student is applying for a scholarship.
- Note. Currently enrolled PhD students are not eligible to apply.
- Note. Applicants who were considered in a previous round are not eligible for reconsideration.
- The offer of a scholarship is contingent upon a student not being offered another award by the Commonwealth of Australia, The University of Adelaide, or an overseas sponsor. The University reserves the right to withdraw an offer of a scholarship at any time prior to enrolment if it is advised that an awardee has been offered a scholarship equal to or in excess of the financial value of the award offered by the University.
Closing Date for Major AGRS Round (semester 1 or 2 intake): 31 October of the year prior.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their scholarship application by mid December. Recipients with a semester 1 intake only MUST commence their research program by 30 June. Recipients with a semester 2 intake (offered in the major AGRS round) MUST commence their research program by 31 August.
Closing Date for Mid-Year AGRS Round (semester 2 intake only): 15 May of that year.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their scholarship application by the end of July. Recipients MUST commence their research program by 30 November.