Applications are invited for the following scholarship leading to the degree of PhD in the School of Physical Sciences / Department of Physics.
The scholarship is supported by the Centre for Nanoscale Biophotonics.
Field of Study: A motivated experimental optical physics PhD student is sought to work on an exciting optical fibre sensing project. The project will investigate new techniques for performing high spatial resolution distributed sensing using the specialty optical fibers made at the University of Adelaide. These optical fibers have an “exposed-core,” which allows them to interact with the external environment for biological and chemical sensing.
The project will involve designing and testing new optical measurement techniques for measuring micron scaled events that occur along the length of the exposed-core fibre. This will also involve theoretical simulations and fibre fabrication. It will be supported by the ARC Centre for Nanoscale BioPhotonics, which provides collaboration opportunities with chemists, biologists and clinicians to help drive the project towards in-vivo applications.
Eligibility: Applicants must be acceptable as candidates for a PhD degree at the University of Adelaide
- Candidates must secure a PhD scholarship from the University of Adelaide or other funding bodies before receiving the top-up scholarship for this project. Candidates who have already secured a PhD scholarship at the time of application may also apply. International students with a scholarship to study a PhD at the University of Adelaide are eligible to apply
- A background in optical physics or optical engineering at the undergraduate level
- A first class honours degree or equivalent
Stipend: The scholarship will be for 3 years and has a stipend of $5,000 per annum and access to $15,000 per annum project costs. It is likely to be tax exempt, subject to Taxation Office approval.
Dr Stephen Warren-Smith
Department of Physics
Applying: Submit the following documents to Dr Warren-Smith:
- A cover letter highlighting your research background and addressing the eligibility requirements
- Curriculum vitae
- Academic Transcript
- Confirmation of current Admission and Scholarship, OR
- Copy of your Mid-Year Round Application for Admission and Scholarship
Application for Admission and Major Scholarship is a separate process and must be submitted during the Mid-Year Round using the Online Application Form .
You can request a copy of your application summary by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading 'Request for application summary'.
Download PDF information sheet