Graduate Certificate in Self Managed Superannuation Funds
- Who should enrol?
This SMSF program has been designed in conjunction with the SMSF Association to appeal to all practitioners in the SMSF advice sector including financial planners, accountants, lawyers and auditors
- About this program
This program is made up of 4 courses:
- CORPFIN 6009 - SMSF Best Practice
- CORPFIN 6010 - Understanding SMSF Trustees
- CORPFIN 6011 - SMSF Strategic Advice
- CORPFIN 6012 - SIS Regulation & Taxation
Each course is offered predominantly online with options for a face to face session. The minimum study period for this course is two years part-time.
- University qualification
- Australian Quality Framework (AQF) Level 8
- Designed in conjunction with the SMSF Association
- Delivery is online to allow participants to study in their own time
- Lectures provided by industry experts
- SMSFA 160 CPD points
- FPA 141.25 CPD points
- RG146 compliant in Self Managed Superannuation*
* In order to provide advice on Self Managed Superannuation students must also hold RG146 compliance in the specialist knowledge areas of Superannuation, Generic Knowledge and Skills.
- What topics are covered?
SMSF Best Practice
- SMSF History
- Barriers to entry, suitability and setting up a fund
- Managing investments
- Reporting, recording and administration
- Benefit payments
- Taxation of the fund
- Winding up a fund
- SMSF Trustee guidance
Understanding SMSF Trustees
- Contemporary behavioural finance (BF) models
- Contemporary emotional intelligence (EI) models
- Standard rationale-expectations framework
- Emotional decision making
- Loss aversion
- Mental accounting
- Selective attention
- Familiarity bias
- SMSF Trustee coaching and observational awareness
SMSF Strategic Advice
- SMSF Strategic advice, purpose and boundaries
- Limited recourse borrowing arrangements (LRBAs), Margin lending, Options
- Alternatives to gearing
- Insurance inside versus outside SMSF
- Investment strategies
- Small business and CGT relief
- SMSF Estate planning
- Succession planning
- Intergenerational and blended family strategies
SIS Regulation & Taxation
- Superannuation rules and regulations
- Contributions operating standards
- Taxation treatment of benefits
- SMSF regulation and design
- Investment standards
- Taxation treatment of the fund
- SMSF and non-residency
- SMSF and death of member
- Windup, administrative and other SMSF specific issues
All courses are run subject to minimum enrolment numbers being met. The International Centre for Financial Services reserves the right to cancel any course where the minimum numbers are not met.
- Who Accredits this program?
The SMSF Association
Financial Planning Association of Australia
The Graduate Certificate in Self Managed Superannuation Funds has been accredited for professional development by the Financial Planning Association of Australia but does not constitute FPA's endorsement of the activity. The program is accredited for 141.25 hours of continuing professional development.
The Graduate Certificate in Self Managed Superannuation Funds provides students with RG146 compliance in the specialist knowledge area of Self Managed Superannuation Funds. In order to provide advice in self managed superannuation funds students must ALSO hold RG146 compliance in the specialist areas of Superannuation, Generic Knowledge and Skills.
- How much does it cost?
The 2019 price for the full program is AU$14,750 (4 courses).
You do not have to pay the full amount up front as the University will invoice per course enrolment.
As this is a University award program you may seek financial assistance via the Australian Government's FEE-HELP scheme.
Click here for more information about FEE-HELP.
Yes, as this is a University postgraduate program the entry requirements are:
degree of the University of Adelaide, or a degree from another institution accepted by the Faculty for the purpose as equivalent AND currently employed or have been employed, on a full-time equivalent basis, within the last 2 years in a related professional capacity in the Superannuation or SMSF sector.
(for applicants without a bachelor degree) a minimum of five years of work experience in a related professional capacity in the Superannuation or Self Managed Superannuation Funds sector approved by the Faculty
Yes, each course will have various forms of assessment both during at at the end of the course. This will includes assignments, case studies and exams.
Yes, you must study the courses in the order of the Study Plan
The lecturers are constantly updating the materials and if any rulings come through during the course of your studies they will be updated and included.
Any applicant who has successfully completed the Professional Certificate in Self Managed Superannuation Funds with the University of Adelaide will be granted status for the SMSF Advanced technical course (3 units).
- How do I enrol?