Skip to main content
- RUTHERFORD, J. and Castro, B, Melancholy Migrations: Journeying with the Negative forthcoming Sydney: Giramondo, 2018.
- RUTHERFORD, J. Zombies London, Routledge, 2013.
- RUTHERFORD, J. The Gauche Intruder: Freud, Lacan and the White Australian Fantasy, Carlton: Melbourne University Press, 2000.
- RUTHERFORD J. and Ulhmann, A (eds). The Childhood of Jesus: The Ethics of Ideas and Things. London: Bloomsbury, 2017.
- RUTHERFORD J. and Barbara Holloway, (eds) Halfway House: The Poetics of Australian Spaces, Perth: UWA Press, 2010.
- RUTHERFORD J. (ed.) “Shared Space; Brokered Time - the work of Paul Carter”, Southerly Special Issue. Vol. 2, 2006.
- RUTHERFORD, J “Washed Clean: The Forgotten Journeys of Future Maritime Arrivals in J.M. Coetzee’s Estralia”, Lynda Mannik (ed) Migration by Boat, NewYork: Oxford: Berghan Books, forthcoming 2015.
- RUTHERFORD J and Crouch D. ‘Social Theory and Literature” The Routledge Handbook of Social and Cultural Theory, Ed. Anthony Elliott, London: Routledge, 2014
- Crouch D and RUTHERFORD, J. “Reading and Reception”, The Routledge Handbook of Social and Cultural Theory, Ed. Anthony Elliott, London: Routledge, 2014
- RUTHERFORD, J “The Secret of the Father in the Colonial secret: Rosa Praed’s ‘Weird Melancholy”, The Literature of Melancholia: early Modern to Post Modern Ed. Martin Middeke and Christina Wald, Bastingstoke: Palgrave MacMillan, 2011
- RUTHERFORD, J. “Kairos for a Wounded Country: The Poetics of Australian Spaces”, Halfway House: The Poetics of Australian Spaces, ed. Jennifer RUTHERFORD and Barbara Holloway, Perth: UWA Press, 2010.
- RUTHERFORD, J. “Undwelling: or Reading Bachelard in Australia”, Halfway House, The Poetics of Australian Spaces, ed. Jennifer RUTHERFORD and Barbara Holloway, Perth: UWA Press, 2010.
- RUTHERFORD, J. “Homo Nullius: the Politics of Pessimism in Patrick White’s Tree of Man”, Cross/Cultures - Remembering Patrick White Contemporary Critical Essays Readings in the Post/Colonial Literatures in English (Cross/Cultures), Ed B Olubus and Elizabeth McMahon, Volume 128 Rudopi, 2010.
- RUTHERFORD, J. "Staging Ireland: Ireland as Conceit in contemporary Australian narratives of belonging", in Philip Bull, Frances Devlin-Glass and Helen Doyle (eds), Ireland and Australia, 1798-1998: Studies in Culture, Identity and Migration, Sydney: Crossing Press, August 2000.
- RUTHERFORD, J. "The Colonising Victim", in The Dilemma of Identity and Exile: Myths and Realities in the English Speaking World, ed Anne Luyat and Francine Tolron, Amsterdam: Rudopi, 2000.
- RUTHERFORD, J. "Diana: The Hour of our Death", in Planet Diana; Cultural Studies and Global Mourning, ed. Re: Public, Research Centre in Intercommunal Studies, Sydney: University of Western Sydney, 1997.
- RUTHERFORD, J. "Jacques Lacan", in A Dictionary of Philosophy, ed. Thomas Mautner, Harmondsworth: Penguin Books, 1997.
- RUTHERFORD, J. "Johnno and the Tragedy of Desire", The Australian Mind, ed. Craig Powell, Sydney: Language and Literature Association, 1995.
- RUTHERFORD, J. Ordinary People: One Woman, one Nation… two forces collide, Caroline Chisholm lecture, La Trobe University, Campus Graphics, 2002.
- RUTHERFORD, J “The After-Silence of the Son/g”, Australian Feminist Law Review, Vol. 33 December 2010 pp. 3-18
- RUTHERFORD, J. “Hansonella: the Morphology of a Modern Folk Tale”, Transtext(e)s – Transcultures: Journal of Global Cultural Studies, no 4 /12, 2009. Pp.100-115
- RUTHERFORD, J. “Flaubert in the Garden: Brian Castro’s melancholy Encryptions”, HEAT, 18, 2008. Pp. 79-96
- RUTHERFORD, J. ‘Melancholy and the Magpie: Coetzee’s Amoro-Dolorous Duo”, Kunapippi, vol 2, XXX, December 2008.
- RUTHERFORD, J "Melancholy Secrets: Rosa Praed's Encrypted father", Double Dialogues, Issue 8, Summer, 2007.
- RUTHERFORD, J. "Clay, Cloth, Corps", Anatomy and Poetics, Double Dialogues, 6. 2006.
- RUTHERFORD, J. "It is forbidden", Australian Universities Review, Vol. 48, No. 2, 2006.
- RUTHERFORD J. "The I, The Eye, and the Orifice", HEAT, April 2005.
- RUTHERFORD, J. "The Unusable F. Word, Fascism and the Australian Media", Social Alternative Special Issue, February 2005
- RUTHERFORD, J. "Writing the Square: Nearamnew and the Art of Federation", Portal. International journal of Multidisciplinary Studies. Special issue Strange Localities: Utopias, intellectuals and National identities in the 21st Century, ed. Alistair Fox and Murray Pratt, vol 2, no. 2, 2005.
- RUTHERFORD, J. "Cutting Ordinary: An ABC True Story", Australian Humanities Review, 2002 (and) The Otago Film and Media Working Paper Series, 2002
- RUTHERFORD J. "One love too many: the undoing of Pauline Hanson", Special Issue: "Pauline Hanson" The Australian Journal of History and Politics, no 4, 2000.
- RUTHERFORD, J. "Being for the Nation: Masculine Sacrifice in My Brother Jack", Meridian, vol.17, no. 1, 1998.
- RUTHERFORD, J. "Identifying an Australian Gaze: Identifying an Australian Perversion: Rereading The Fortunes of Richard Mahony", Meridian, vol. 16, no. 2, 1997.
- RUTHERFORD, J. "'Thursa, Myrtle, Turtle, Tortoise': the discourse of the unconscious speaks from the empty place of das Ding", Meridian, vol. 16, no. 2, 1997.
- RUTHERFORD, J. “Sanja Bahun's Modernism and Melancholia: Writing as Countermourning (Oxford UP 2013)” forthcoming MLN (http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/mln/), December, 2015.
- RUTHERFORD, J “Slip-side of the Good: Derek Hook’s Post Apartheid Conditions”, forthcoming, African Identities, 2014
- RUTHERFORD, J. “An Insider’s view of Outside: Simon Critchley and Jamieson Webster’s The Hamlet Doctrine”, Sydney Review of Books, April 2014.
- RUTHERFORD, J. “Soft Focus: Sharp Sight: Dan Armstrong’s Abandoned Cubby Houses” Catalogue Essay: Exhibition: “Abandoned Cubby Huts” C3 Contemporary Art Space and Abbotsford Covent, July 2010.
- RUTHERFORD, J. "Eden Liddelow's After Electra" (Review Essay), Australian Book Review, February 2002.
- RUTHERFORD, J. “the Anxiety of Speech afte September XI” The Australian Financial Review, November 14, 2002.
- RUTHERFORD, J. "Psychoanalysis and the Interpellation of Femininity: some thoughts on Roudinesco's Madness and Revolution" (Review essay), Australian Journal of Psychotherapy, vol. 12, no. 2, 1993.
- Book Futures: Exhibition curated by Jennifer RUTHERFORD and Daniel Chafee, site specific artworks investigating the impact of digital technologies on book cultures by artists Tim Schwartz and Brigita Ozolins SASA Gallery, Adelaide, September 2014.
- Catalogue: The Future of the Book. Edited Jennifer RUTHERFORD and Daniel Chaffee (Curatorial Essay: Jenifer RUTHERFORD, “The Body of the Book” September, 2014.
- Traverses; J. M Coetzee in the World, An exhibition of J.M. Coetzee’s literary manuscripts curated by Jennifer RUTHERFORD, Kerry Packer Civic Gallery, University of South Australia in Association with the Harry Ransom Centre, University of Austin Texas, The J.M. Coetzee Centre for Creative Practice, University of Adelaide, The Writing and Society Research Centre, The University of Western Sydney; L’Institute Universitaire de France, Nanterre Paris VIII. forthcoming November, 2014
- Catalogue: Traverses: The Literary Manuscripts of J.M Coetzee Edited by Jennifer RUTHERFORD and Rita Horanyi, Curatorial Essay: RUTHERFORD, Jennifer “J.M. Coetzee in the World.” forthcoming November 2014..
- RUTHERFORD, J.,Ordinary People, Credits: Director, Writer, Co-Producer, Researcher. (A Film Australia special Interest project), Documentary film, 52 minutes. Written and Directed by Jennifer Rutherford, produced by Martha Ansara and Jennifer Rutherford in association with Film Australia, the Australian Film Commission with the assistance of the NSW Film and Television Office, and the ABC.
- Report on the National Asylum Summit, University of South Australia, 2013. Jennifer RUTHERFORD and Louis Everuss with Rita Horanyi and Dominique Wilson, Hawke Research Institute, 2013.
- Traverses: J.M. Coetzee in the World, Mobile app. Writing and Research Jennifer RUTHERFORD; IT Sound and Visual Engineering Adam Jenkins, Research Assistance: Rita Horanyi, Design Lisa harms, forthcoming November 2015.
Gallery of selected publications