- 2011 Mark Carroll, ed. The Ballets Russes in Australia and Beyond (Adelaide: Wakefield Press).
- 2006 Malcolm Gillies, David Pear and Mark Carroll. A Self-Portrait of Percy Grainger (New York: Oxford University Press).
- 2003 Mark Carroll. Music and Ideology in Cold War Europe (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press).
- 2011 ‘Regarding Faustus: Myth, Legend, and the Composer's Voice', in The Oxford Handbook of Faustian Music (Oxford: Oxford University Press, in press).- 'Introduction', in The Ballets Russes in Australia and Beyond (Adelaide: Wakefield Press), pp. 6-23.
- 2011 ‘Tall tales and true: Ballet straddles the great divide', in The Ballets Russes in Australia and Beyond (Adelaide: Wakefield Press), pp. 78-93.
- 2011 "A Flutter in the Orchestras": The Ballets Russes and the Australian orchestral situation', in The Ballets Russes in Australia and Beyond (Adelaide: Wakefield Press), pp. 142-159.
- 2010 ‘Qui vivra verra, qui verra entendra: Messiaen on life, death, serialism and synaesthesia', Messiaen: The Centenary Papers (Cambridge Scholars Press), pp. 28-37.
- 2009 ‘All Together Now: The Prague Manifesto (1948) and the Association française des musiciens progressistes', French History and Civilisation: Papers from the George Rude Seminar, Vol. 2. Vesna Drapac and Andre Lambelet (eds) (H-France, online).
- 2002 ‘South Australian contemporary popular music', The Wakefield Companion to South Australian History, Wilfrid Prest, ed. (Adelaide: Wakefield Press), pp. 419-420.
- 2014 “Out of the Ordinary: The Quotidian in the Music of Graeme Koehne,” Music & Letters, 95 (3), 24 August 2014, pp. 429 – 451.
- 2010 'Loneliness is such a drag: Existential Psychedelia and Jimi Hendrix's "The Burning of the Midnight Lamp"', Musicology Australia 32.2 (December): 161-183
- 2010 ‘Hearing is Believing: The Songs in the Blaue Reiter Almanac', Musicology Australia 32.1 (July): 3-26
- 2009 ‘Russian Music and Nationalism' (extended book review), Slavic Review 68.2: 449-451
- 2008 ‘Music Divided' (extended book review), Slavic Review 67.2: 467-468
- 2007 ‘"Let's Stage a Fight!": Massine's Symphonic Ballets in Australia', Brolga 26: 14-26
- 2006 '"It Is": Reflections on the Role of Music in Sartre's La Nausée', Music & Letters 87.3: 398-407
- 2006 ‘A Political Soft-Shoe Shuffle: de Basil's Ballets Russes and the Centenary of South Australia (1936)', Brolga 25: 6-22
- 2002 ‘Commitment or Abrogation? Avant-garde Music and Jean-Paul Sartre's Idea of Committed Art', Music & Letters 83.4: 590-606
- 2002 'La vie musicale sous Vichy' (extended book review), Music & Letters 83.3:503-505
- 2001 ‘Jean-Paul Sartre, René Leibowitz and the Musician's Conscience', Context 22: 89-94
- Young Modern, Play Faster (2005) (Aztec: AVSCD 005)
- Young Modern, How Insensitive (2007) (Croxton: CROXT 035)
- Young Modern, Live at the Grace Emily, 22.12.2010 (2011) (Grown Up Wrong! GUW!CD001)
Selected media commentaries
- 2009 Anchorperson, A Thousand Encores: The Ballets Russes in Australia, feature film (Flaming Star Films), screened ABC TV, 3 November
- 2009 'Concerning the death of Michael Jackson': ABC 891, 5AA, Sky News, Channel 7, Channel 10, 2GB (Alan Jones)
- 2008 ‘Heady Mix of Excitement', Adelaide Review 339 (May 2008): 15
- 2007 ‘Not-so-Young-Modern', Adelaide Review 332 (December 2007): 13
- 2007 ‘Hope I Die Before I Get Old: Should Budding Senior Citizens Play Rock Music?', Music Forum 13.4 (2007): 6-7
- 2006 ‘Existential angst vanishes in a ragtime riff', Australian (21 July 2006), The Arts: 17
- 2006 Concerning the so-called ‘Barmy Army Trumpeter': 5AA, Mix FM, ABC 891, Radio National (Fran Kelly), 6PR, 2CC, 4BC, 3AW, Australian, Daily Telegraph
- 2003 Concerning music and Cold War politics: Andrew Ford ABC Radio National and BBC Radio 3