Student Voice Australia
The Student Voice Australia is a national network of institutions, staff and students, committed to facilitating authentic student engagement through partnership in institutional decision-making and governance for learning, teaching and the student experience.
Following a successful pilot led by Professor Sally Varnham in 2019 and further embedding of practices in 2020, SVA is currently hosted by the University of Adelaide under the leadership of the Pro-Vice Chancellor (Student Learning), Professor Philippa Levy and supported by:
- Australian Catholic University
- Charles Sturt University
- Curtin University
- Flinders University
- Holmesglen Institute
- James Cook University
- TAFE QLD
- TAFE SA
- University of Adelaide
- University of Canberra
- University of New England
- University of Queensland
- University of Southern Queensland
- University of the Sunshine Coast
- University of Technology Sydney
- Victoria University
SVA will continue to build capacity around the Principles for Student Engagement for Australian Tertiary Institutions (STEPUP for Quality Enhancement).
Expression of interest to present a student voice showcase session
The 2nd National Student Voice Australia Symposium is to be held virtually on Tuesday 25 May and Thursday 27 May. The themes of this symposium are Representation, Engagement and Sustainability.
Members of the national SVA Practitioners Network are invited to submit a proposal to present a showcase session at the Symposium.
Showcase sessions will be 25 minutes long and should address one or more of the conference themes:
- Moving from strategic project to business as usual for partnership work
- How to create and maintian relationships with and between staff and students
- How to engage executive champions
- Going beyond the need for champions to system level approaches to embedding partnership practices
Representation (student focus)
- How to represent student voices outside own network(s)
- How to collect feedback/student views
Engagement / Inclusion
- Diversifying our partnerships to reach the students and staff we don’t usually engage with
- Diversifying SVA – how do we bring new institutions esp in the TAFE/VET sector into the network?
Depending on how many people register for the Symposium it is possible that up to 50 people may attend each showcase session so the proposal should reflect activities that are managable with a moderately large group online. You may wish to present an overview of practice, institutional initiatives, case studies or research undertaken as a partnership with staff and students regarding governance and representation. You should design any interactive elements with the possible size of the group in mind. All showcase sessions should be jointly designed and if possible presented by teams of staff and students.
All submissions must be made via the online submission form below. The deadline for submissions is Monday April 26, 2021, 11.59pm. If you are submitting more than one proposal you must start a new online submission for each.
The online form will collect the following information:
1. Title for your showcase session
2. Presenter name, title and contact information (institution name, email address) for each presenter
3. Name, title and contact information for any non-presenting co-authors
Your proposal of no more than 250 words should describe the focus and objectives of the session. If presenting research you should describe the aims, method, results and conclusions of the research or evaluation undertaken. Case studies should include implications beyond the local context. If you will be incorporating interactive elements please describe what these will be and how these will be managed in the virtual environment. Time for audience questions should be incorporated into your session design. If you wish to cap numbers please indicate the max number of participants (must be at least 50)
The Symposium Organising Committee will consider all submissions and notify you of the outcome by May 5, 2021.
If you have any queries regarding your submission, please contact