2019 International Students as Partners Institute (ISaPI)
The University of Adelaide is excited to announce that the fourth International Institute on ‘Students as Partners (SaP) in learning and teaching in higher education’ will be hosted by the University of Adelaide, in association with McMaster University, Canada.
The International Institute has been organised by the Paul R. MacPherson Institute for Leadership, Innovation, & Excellence in Teaching and Learning, McMaster University, Canada on an annual basis since 2016. The overall aim of the International Institute is to build capacity and understanding of faculty, staff and students to develop, design and implement initiatives to promote the practice of students as partners in learning and teaching in higher education.
The 2019 Institute will retain the distinguishing features of previous Institutes, including:
- having students threaded throughout every aspect of the Institute – from the planning to the facilitating to the participating teams
- being facilitated by highly experienced faculty, staff and students from Australia, Canada and UK
- having a range of interactive workshop options over three days for faculty, staff and students to explore and develop their capacity in the practice of students as partners – students are encourage to bring member of staff/faculty with them and staff/faculty are encouraged to bring at least one student
- providing an opportunity for institutions to participate in a 3-day ‘Change Institute’ as a team of 4-6 faculty/staff and students (at least two of each). Change Institute teams will be supported to plan the implementation of a Students as Partners initiative. Inter-institutional or regional teams are also welcome. Examples of the 2018 Change Projects are available at https://macblog.mcmaster.ca/summer-institute/change-institute-projects-2018/
- Previous Institutes
Information on previous institutes is available at: https://macblog.mcmaster.ca/summer-institute/
- Key Dates
- October 2018: Workshop topics and facilitators announced
- November 2018: Registrations open on a first come, first served basis
- March 2019: Change Institute applications close
- April 2019: Change Institute teams notified of acceptance
- May 2019: Early bird registration closes
- 1 July 2019: Regular registration closes
- Wednesday, 10 July – Friday, 12 July 2019: Institute
The Institute will be held at the North Terrace campus of The University of Adelaide. The campus is located in the central business district of Adelaide which is consistently voted one of the world’s most liveable and affordable cities. The city itself is beautiful and within 90 minutes you will find famous South Australian wine regions and activities.
“Thanks for this most challenging and rewarding experience, a very inspiring three days! We very much appreciated both the balance between systematic impetus, drawing on the community present and focusing on our own issues.”
“By far the most beneficial and enjoyable aspects … were the networking opportunities which led to collaboration and collective knowledge building. The international nature of these discussions really helped me to reconsider my assumptions about partnership.”
“The inclusion of student partners was terrific and essential. I wish we could have brought a student or two. The time to simply plan in a context with stimulation, structure, and feedback was so valuable. ”
“The best thing about the Institute was having a chance to work with students and teachers from around the world and seeing the way they do things at their universities was really enlightening.”
“Overall, I found the institute to be an eye-opening experience. As a student, it allowed me to learn from perspectives of those that I don’t often hear from (professors, educational developers, curriculum developers), and provided me with a growing sense of agency over my own education.”
Regitrations are now open, please register below.