Skip to content

Teaching Purposes

If you teach at the University, you will often need to include materials created by other parties in your lectures, course materials, study guides and other materials used for teaching purposes. Furthermore, you may wish to play audio-visual materials to students in class.

The University's Copyright Licences

The University has two statutory licences which give us some exceptions from the general copyright law because of our status as an "educational institution".

The University has remuneration agreements with collecting societies, under which the University pays annual fees for the licences. These licences provide convenience to staff (no individual School fees are payable, no record keeping is required except during sampling periods every 3 years or so).

The University may rely on the licences for teaching purposes provided the following conditions are met:

  • the copying or communication is undertaken for students of the University of Adelaide
  • the students are enrolled in an award based course (that is, these licences do not cover developmental courses or courses delivered on a consultancy basis)
  • the material copied or communicated is for educational purposes (includes making available in the library for reference)
  • the copying is within the limits (set out in more detail in the links below)
  • the copies must not be sold for a profit (but cost-recovery is allowed)

Other arrangements / exceptions under which the University may use copyright materials created by third parties are:

  • s200AB - a new free “special purpose” exception under the Copyright Act
  • Music Licence - a Collective Music Licence that allows students and staff to perform musical works and to copy and communicate sound recordings for educational purposes

If your proposed use of the third-party copyrighted material does not fall within one of the exceptions or licences above, permission of the copyright owner MUST be obtained before the material can be used.

In some cases, the University may have negotiated permissions or licences from the copyright owner (eg electronic journals).  In these cases, you must abide by the terms of the relevant permission or licence.

Even where you are able to use any literary, dramatic, musical or artistic works and cinematograph films without infringing copyright, you must still ensure that the creator’s Moral Rights are not infringed.


Need Help?

Email and we will respond within 24 hours.
Rm G07 Mitchell Building, North Terrace, Adelaide  SA  5005

Contact us
Email Us Feedback Form   Call us +61 8 8313 4539
North Terrace Detail