The Elder Music Library
Explore Library Search for access to a wide range of ebooks and ejournals relating to music - also online scores, and streamed audio. In addition, we have a large amount of hard copy material that's not available online -
Our particular strengths (hard-copy collections) are in materials for performance and musicology.
Street address: Hartley Building, Kintore Avenue, Adelaide 5005
Mail address: Elder Music Library, The University of Adelaide, South Australia. 5005
Phone: +61 (0)8 8313 3686
Elder Music Library Staff
Staff Allison Cox Elder Music Librarian Joanne Corbett Services Desk Supervisor Tina Dutton Library Officer Sue Doyle Acquisitions Officer
- Physical Collections
- Main Collection - books and journals
- Reference Collection - much reference material is now online, but we do hold print versions of some rarer dictionaries, encyclopaedias, and other reference texts
- Performing scores - instrumental and vocal scores suitable for usage in performance
- Miniature scores - study scores with reduced-size type-face
- Monumenta - multivolume composers' collected works, and historical sets
- CDs and DVDs - located at the end of the main collection.
- LPs - these are shelved in two sequences in the listening area
- High Use collection - books, scores and audiovisual (A/V) materials in high demand, normally placed on reserve at the request of a lecturer. High use collection items are available at the loans desk, and have some time restrictions - check with us.
How to get help
You can email us or phone - see our Contact details. If you're in the library, please just ask us!
The Elder Music Library came into existence on January 1, 2002 and its physical collection comprises mainly music materials - reference works, books, journals, CDs, DVDs, collected editions, historical sets, performance and study scores.
Previously called the Performing Arts Library the library incorporates holdings from the earlier Elder Music Library, the Barr Smith Library Music Collection and the Fulton Library of the South Australian College of Advanced Education. More recently, the library of the Flinders Street School of Music also became part of the Elder Music Library.
- wireless access
- 13 desktop computers for student use
- 3 computers for public use
- private study carrels with power points
- carrels with audio equipment
Audio and Video Facilities
Computers are available for playing CDs and DVDs. There are also a number of carrels in the listening area containing audio equipment for playing cassettes and LPs. Headphones can be borrowed from the loans desk. We also have a small selection of portable audio equipment available at the loans desk which can be borrowed from the library for short periods of time.