Explore Library Search for access to a wide range of ebooks and ejournals relating to music - also online scores, and streamed audio. In addition, we have a large amount of hard copy material that's not available online -
Our particular strengths (hard-copy collections) are in materials for performance and musicology.
The Music Collection is currently being relocated to Level 1 South of the Barr Smith Library. It will open on Monday 23 July! Find us on the North Terrace campus map
- Physical Collections
- Main Collection - books and journals
- Reference Collection - much reference material is now online, but we do hold print versions of some rarer dictionaries, encyclopaedias, and other reference texts
- Performing scores - instrumental and vocal scores suitable for usage in performance
- Miniature scores - study scores with reduced-size type-face
- Monumenta - multi-volume composers' collected works, and historical sets
- CDs and DVDs - located at the end of the main collection.
- LPs - these are shelved in two sequences in the listening area
- High Use collection - books, scores and audiovisual (A/V) materials in high demand, normally placed on reserve at the request of a lecturer. Please find these items in the High Use collection on Level 3 of the Barr Smith Library.
The Music Collection was previously held in the Elder Music Library in the Hartley Building on the North Terrace Campus. The Elder Music Library came into existence on January 1, 2002 and its physical collection comprises mainly music materials - reference works, books, journals, CDs, DVDs, collected editions, historical sets, performance and study scores.
Previously called the Performing Arts Library the library incorporated holdings from the earlier Elder Music Library, the Barr Smith Library Music Collection, the Fulton Library of the South Australian College of Advanced Education and the library of the Flinders Street School of Music.
- listening booths with audio equipment
Audio and Video Facilities
Computers are available within the library for playing CDs and DVDs. There are also a number of listening booths containing audio equipment for playing cassettes and LPs.