Ian Barwick Associates
Papers (principally drawings for landscape architecture projects) 1944-2003
MSS 712 I11d
Ian Barwick (1938-2015) was born in Melbourne. He was educated at Prospect primary and Adelaide High schools, as well as the University of Adelaide, graduating with the degree of Bachelor of Architecture in 1966. After working as an architect with Allen, Jack and Cottier in Sydney and Challen Floyd Partners in London, he joined Duryea and Wilhelmi in Syracuse N.Y. as a land planner for a year. He also taught and studied at the State College of Forestry and Environmental Sciences at Syracuse, before returning to Adelaide as senior landscape architect with Hassell and Partners in 1972. In 1974 he established Ian Barwick Associates, Landscape Architects and as principal of the firm has undertaken numerous projects over the past 30 years, primarily in South Australia.
Barwick was active in the professional association AILA (Australian Institute of Landscape Architects), including as National Vice President 1979-1981 and two periods as President of the SA group, and served on the SA State Urban Design Advisory Panel from 1994 to 1996. While working in New York in 1971-1972 he studied and taught landscape architecture at the State University of New York, Syracuse and in 1994 undertook a Master of Landscape Architecture degree at the University of Texas in Arlington, completing a thesis on Establishing that the spatial characteristics of preindustrial pedestrian precincts coincide with the important components of effective urban spaces.
The bulk of the drawings were presented to the Barr Smith Library in 1998 by Dr David Jones from the School of Landscape Architecture and Urban Design, with additional drawings and the remaining papers presented by Mr Barwick in 2003 and 2013.
Series 1. Project drawings, ca.1974-1998. approx. 2000 items.
Also [Portfolio: Project drawings] A3 sized originals
[A client/job number list, prepared by Dr David Jones from cards in Ian Barwick Associates office in 1998, is available here as a pdf document] all in map cabinet
Series 2. Project reports and related material, 1973-2006 26 cm.
[relating to projects A7, A 10, A11, A37, A39, A47, B36, B76, C2, C20?, D53, J51, K28, M40, P28, S63, W40, W46/47, W53, WF002 and Z3, as per drawing list]
Also, copies of projects involved in as senior landscape architect with Hassell and Partners, including:
- Specification for Torrens CAE civil works stage 2, June 1973
- Proposed River Torrens Redevelopment feasibility study, July 1973
- Specification for landscape work in Elder Park, September 1973
- Landscape design proposals for O’Halloran Hill Reserve, January 1974
- Information re Wills Court landscape plan, 1973
- Copy of Tonkin & Associates Christie Creek Catchment Management Plan 1995 [Barwick’s client no. N18?]
- (un-numbered) expression of interest, Mawson Lakes Landscape Architecture, 1997 tender submission
- Fee proposals for Landscape Consultant Service, Mawson Lakes Development, 2000
- Concept plan for future enhancement of Heywood Park, 2000
Folder: ‘Trees 2003-2010’ Includes photographs, clippings, details of projects (particularly in relation to removal of trees and tree surveys for landscape projects eg Woodhouse and Sevenhill Centre), source and reference materials, correspondence with the Adelaide City Council re parkland trees, saving significant trees
Index card file: Projects listed alphabetically by project code
Series 3. Biographical and personal papers 10 cm.
Biography by Barwick (2 p.)
Interview of Barwick by Paul Harding, 2 June 1988, at the University of Adelaide School of Landscape Architecture (computer printout, annotated draft and corrected copy, 16 p.)
Curriculum vitae (various)
Infant and primary school drawing books and diary, 1944-45, 1949. 5 v.
Plans for BOAC Test House by Challen, Floyd & Partners (London, 1969) [Barwick worked for the firm 1968-69]
Booklet: Duryea and Wilhelmi, Landscape Architects, Syracuse N.Y. (Barwick worked in NY 1969-71?)
- Application for position of Public Domain Co-ordinator, Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority, Built Environment Division, June 1999
- Application for position of senior urban designer, Urban Design Department, City of Adelaide, August 1999. 2 items.
- University of Adelaide, Architecture II Studio, 1962
- In India 1968
- At drafting table, Syracuse 1970
- 2 small photographs undated (1980s?)
- At IFLA Congress , Japan, 1985
- With Adelaide City plan 1988
- Competing in Mini-triathalon, Hazelwood Park, 1989
- Taos Pueblo, New Mexico, 30 October 1993. With Dave Hanna
- Barwick family residence Leabrook 1995
- 2 portrait photos, undated (1990s?)
- In Florence 1996
- Feeding ducks 1999
- In Ubud, Bali; at University of Adelaide Maths Plaza 2002
- Barwick with Michael Harbison, Lord Mayor of Adelaide [between 2003 and 2010]
- In Canberra 2005
- 69th birthday party at Chianti Classico July 2007 (5 photos)
- Adelaide University Rugby 75th anniversary match, Waite Oval, 14/7/2007 (2 photos)
- Emails and correspondence, undated, 1978, 2010-12; postcards 1990, 2000, 2006, 2011
- Letters to newspaper and journal editors 1995-2008
Newspaper cuttings and articles about Ian Barwick ca 1973-2007
Certificates and awards
- B. Architecture (University of Adelaide, 1966) diploma certificate (IN MAP CABINET)
- Certificate for registration as an architect, The Architects Board of South Australia, 1973 (IN MAP CABINET), and the Australian Institute of Landscape Architects [undated]
- Certificate for election as a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Landscape Architects, 1982 (IN MAP CABINET), and medal
- Certificate of membership (photocopy), The Honour Society of Sigma Lambda Alpha, University of Texas, 1994 (IN MAP CABINET)
- Master of Landscape Architecture (University of Texas at Arlington, 1994) photocopy certificate (IN MAP CABINET)
- Civic Trust of South Australia Award of Merit 1982 x 2
- Greening of Australia 1987 Recognition Award
- National Project Award in Landscape Architecture: Building Setting & Interiors, awarded to Ian Barwick & Associates for the Bureau of Meteorology, Kent Town, 17 June 1988 (IN MAP CABINET)
- Nursery and Landscape Industry Association of S.A. Award of Excellence: Landscape Project Commercial 1991 (Unley Oval Redevelopment)
- Commencement Ceremony booklet, University of Texas at Arlington, May 1994, with certificate for Master of Landscape Architecture
- Certificates for ‘Honorary Texan’ from the State of Texas, and Honorary Citizen from the City of Austin, 1996 (while on sister city tour)
- Civic Trust of South Australia Certificate of Commendation 1999
- Registered Landscape Architect, Landscape Professions Registration Board of Australia 1999-2000
- Trophy: Ian Barwick Triathlete – April 2 1989 (in oversize box with Series 7.2)
Series 4. Ian Barwick & Associates (firm) 7 cm.
Record of office telephone messages, September 1985-November 1998. 1 v.
Time sheets July 1995-May 2009
Series 5: Writings and talks 10 cm.
Thesis report: final stage, part submission for the Bachelor of Architecture degree, ‘A residential club for Sydney' (University of Adelaide, 1965.) 1 v.
Talks and articles by Barwick 1973, 1998, 2005
Cassette tape recordings of landscape lectures, Urban & Landscape Design Studies 3, 1st term, 1983. 3 cassettes.
- 15/3/1983 'Natural elements of the regional landscape'
- 22/3/1983 'Visual surveys & landscape analysis'
- 26/4/1983 'Crystal Brook tourist recreation corridor'
Small ms ring binder “Ian J. Barwick: Journal of Ideas”
Draft of book: ‘Where the People Are: Understanding urban design’ / Ian Barwick, with associated ms notes, thoughts, ideas, correspondence etc [ca 2010]
Index card file of urban design references for Barwick’s MLA thesis, University of Texas, 1993-94
Series 6: Allan Correy file 2 cm.
- Correspondence between Barwick and Correy 1998-2010
- Articles by and about
- Photographs: Correy’s 80th birthday 2011; slides of Correy’s design for Kym Bonython’s garden in Leabrook
- Lecture handouts and notes from Correy’s lectures in Landscape Architecyure and Landscape Design in Relation to Planning, 1963
7.1 Slides 40 cm.
Large slide collections
- Compiled by Barwick as MLS Graduate student, SUNY, Syracuse and while employed at Duryea & Wilhelmi, Landscape Architects, New York, 1969-72. 1 box
- Compiled by Barwick as MLA Graduate studentUniversity of Texas at Arlington 1993-94, and during sister city tour to Austin, Texas, 1996. 1 box
- Ian Barwick Associates. Slides of projects arranged by project number. 3 boxes
Small slide boxes
- Australian plants (46 slides)
- Australian birds and animals (13 slides)
- Australia: generally flora and fauna Victoria / Melbourne (approx.. 30 slides)
- River Torrens, Walkerville, 1973 (55 slides)
- Rendered plans of Little Para, Maths Lawns (University of Adelaide), A47 Angaston Main Street & Linear Park (14 slides)
- Little para River: plans S63, 1989 (8 slides)
- Monarto, SA, landscapes, vegetation, gardens
- Crystal Brook District Council C3 (approx.. 30 slides)
- South Australian landscapes, many unidentified (3 boxes)
- SABAH and others? (6 slides)
- Waterfall Gully (7 slides)
- L31: Lyell McEwan (8 slides); The Paddocks (7 slides)
- Adelaide Torrens Linear Park 2001 (4 slides); W67 Tony Williams (4 slides); C68 Christian Boys College (3 slides)
- January 2002: Disabled Persons, Hamilton’s Winery trees
7.2 Photographs 50 cm.
Photographs related to numbered projects (in oversize box)
- A 32, 44, 47, 48, 48C, 51
- B 35, 55?, 65, 66, 76, 85, 95, 98
- C 2, 19, 52, 52R, 57, 73, 75
- D 47/48, 50, 53, 53C, 56, 60, 61, 64
- E 14
- F 12, 14?, 15
- H 46, 75, 82, 85
- J 51
- K 34, 35
- L 35. 38
- N 16, 18, 21, 23
- P 34/36, 41, 55, 57, 60, 65
- R 34, 36
- S 23 (with W53), 63, 64, 69/70
- T 25
- U 2?, 10, 16 Unley Oval
- V 18
- W 43, 46A, 53 (see S 23), 72
- Z 3
Unnumbered project photographs (in oversize box)
- Playford Gardens 1993
- University of Adelaide Wills Court
- Three houses 16 Tusmore Ave 1996Shepherds Hill trash rack
- Shepherd’s Hill trash rack 2006
- Naracoorte Caves 2003
- Hummock Hill under construction
- Onkaparinga Community Playground 2002
- Black Point revegetation and Robe Tce Medindie
- DBA projects 1988
- Mt Lofty B6 work 1988
- Coetzee-Driver front garden
S63 Little Para River
Heritage photographs supplied by Salisbury Council [b&w 19x26 cm.]
- Jacob and Bessie Hooper and son at “Hillview” [ca 1890s?]
- “Hillview” [on site of present Pitman Park
- ‘Old Spot’ Hotel c. 1900
- ‘Old Spot’ Hotel from northwest c. 1909
- ‘Old Spot’ Hotel west façade with ‘Little Para Nursery’ truck and family group
- ‘Happy Home’ Hotel
- Railway bridge at Salisbury 1889
- ‘Sans Souci’ home, Salisbury Park
- Detail of old cottage and outbuildngs at ‘Sans Souci’
- ‘Cleveland’ home, Salisbury
- ‘Salisbury House’
- ‘Salisbury House’ sketch by Ann (Pitman) Harvey c. 1860
- ‘Moss Vale’ house, Elizabeth Vale
- Lorna Jenkins and others at ‘Carisbrooke House, Salisbury Park
Heritage sites 1986: 22 colour photographs 9x13 cm.
Little Para valley and streambank: 13 b&w photographs 30x21 cm. c. 1986
Photographs of vegetation, damaged trees etc in file box. Many annotated.
7.3 Photographs from promotional folders
Photographic reproductions of plans and photographs of projects for promotional purposes including:
- O’Halloran Hill landscape analysis
- BHP Centenary project at Hummock Hill
- Aspect Photographics
- Lewis Playpark, Syracuse New York
- HMAS ‘Whyalla’
Folder of photographs: ‘architect’s own house’ Medindie; artist’s studio at Gilberton
7.4. Photograph albums
- Residential projects
- Government and Commercial Projects
Listed by Cheryl Hoskin
Updated May 2020