Ian Barwick Associates
Papers (principally drawings for landscape architecture projects) 1944-2003
MSS 712 I11d
Ian Barwick was born in Melbourne in 1938. He was educated at Prospect primary and Adelaide High schools, as well as the University of Adelaide, graduating with the degree of Bachelor of Architecture in 1966. After working as an architect with Allen, Jack and Cottier in Sydney and Challen Floyd Partners in London, he joined Duryea and Wilhelmi in Syracuse N.Y. as a land planner for a year. He also taught and studied at the State College of Forestry and Environmental Sciences at Syracuse, before returning to Adelaide as senior landscape architect with Hassell and Partners in 1972. In 1974 he established Ian Barwick Associates, Landscape Architects and as principal of the firm has undertaken numerous projects over the past 30 years, primarily in South Australia.
Barwick was active in the professional association AILA (Australian Institute of Landscape Architects), including as National Vice President 1979-1981 and two periods as President of the SA group, and served on the SA State Urban Design Advisory Panel from 1994 to 1996. While working in New York in 1971-1972 he studied and taught landscape architecture at the State University of New York, Syracuse and in 1994 undertook a Master of Landscape Architecture degree at the University of Texas in Arlington, completing a thesis on Establishing that the spatial characteristics of preindustrial pedestrian precincts coincide with the important components of effective urban spaces.
The bulk of the drawings were presented to the Barr Smith Library in 1998 by Dr David Jones from the School of Landscape Architecture and Urban Design, with additional drawings and the remaining papers presented by Mr Barwick in 2003.
1. Project drawings, ca.1974-1998. approx. 2000 items.
[A client/job number list, prepared by Dr David Jones from cards in Ian Barwick Associates office in 1998, is available here as a pdf document] all in map cabinet
2. Project reports, 1973-1998. 27 items.
[relating to projects A7, A11, A37, A39, A47, B36, C2, D53, K28, M40, P28, S63, W40, W46/47 and W53, as per drawing list]
Also, copies of projects involved in as senior landscape architect with Hassell and Partners, including:
- Specification for Torrens CAE civil works stage 2, June 1973
- Proposed River Torrens Redevelopment feasibility study, July 1973
- Specification for landscape work in Elder Park, September 1973
- Landscape design proposals for O’Halloran Hill Reserve, January 1974;
Copy of Tonkin & Associates Christie Creek Catchment Management Plan 1995 [Barwick’s client no. N18?] and (un-numbered) expression of interest, Mawson Lakes Landscape Architecture, 1997 and tender submission, Concept plan for future enhancement of Heywood Park, 2000
3. Curriculum vitae and application for position of senior urban designer, Urban Design Department, City of Adelaide, August 1999. 2 items.
4. Record of office telephone messages, September 1985-November 1998. 1 v.
5. Bachelor of Architecture thesis report, ‘A residential club for Sydney', 1965. 1 v.
6. Infant and primary school drawing books and diary, 1944-45, 1949. 5 v.
7. Cassette tape recordings of landscape lectures, Urban & Landscape Design Studies 3, 1st term, 1983. 3 cassettes.
- 15/3/1983 'Natural elements of the regional landscape'
- 22/3/1983 'Visual surveys & landscape analysis'
- 26/4/1983 'Crystal Brook tourist recreation corridor'