Elford, William Graham
Dr William Graham Elford was a radio physicist born in Adelaide in South Australia on 2 November 1926. He studied at Unley Central Boys School and Prince Alfred College before going on to earn a PhD in Physics (Meteor Astronomy). He was offered a position as a lecturer in Physics in 1949.
During his working life had undertaken some research for NASA (1964) and also worked on the Jindalee Over the Horizon Radar System (in northern Australia).
Dr. Elford was the President of IAU Commission 22 "Meteors and Interplanetary Dust" in 1979-1982, he was an Organizing Committee member of Commission 22 from 1967 to 1988 and again in 1997-2000.
He died at the age of 91 on 1 August 2017.
Series 1: Biographical information. 1 Folder.
- Copy of thesis title page
- Leave application
- Flyer for a lecture given by Elford.
Series 2: Publications
- Articles written by Elford and others (2 folders, 12 cm)
Series 3: Research, writings, and notes
- Radio Research Board material. Primarily correspondence and grant application forms. 2 folders
- Folder labelled ‘Meteoroids 2001 – papers’
- Folder labelled 'Sagittariids'
- Folder labelled 'Odd meteor writings'
- Research progress reports. 1 folder
- 14 notebooks
- Folder of handwritten notes
Series 4: Teaching
- Lecture notes (both handwritten and typewritten), projector slides, handouts, workbooks. 2 folders
- Folder labelled 'Astronomy talks (popular)'
- Presentation folder labelled '2MHz Meteors'
Series 5: Other
- Correspondence. 2 loose letters and 1 binder of letters relating to research articles
- Research grants. 2 folders.
- Photographs and illustrations for publications. 1 folder
- Miscellaneous writings (unattributed). 1 folder