Malcolm Fox (1946-1997)
Compositions and papers on music and music education
MSS 780.7299423 F793p
Malcolm J. Fox was born in Windsor, England in 1946, studied at the Royal College of Music in London between 1964 and 1968 and was Director of Music at the Inner London Education Authority Cockpit Theatre from 1971 to 1973. He joined the staff of the Elder Conservatorium of Music at the University of Adelaide in 1974 and was Dean of the Faculty of Music from 1979 - 1981 and 1983. He was active as a composer and in music education at both the secondary and tertiary level.
Further biographical information and a catalogue of works is available at the Malcolm Fox Vixen records site.
The material listed as Series 1-9 was donated by Fox to the Barr Smith Library in October 1983; the remaining material, including the compositions and tapes, were deposited through the Elder Music Librarian, Gordon Abbott, subsequent to Fox's death in November 1997.
1. Copies of essays submitted by B.Mus. II and III students for Music in Education projects. 1976-1980.
57 v. (52 v. bound plus 5 essays in manila folders).
See Series 1 list
2. Tapes of interviews conducted by B.Mus. students for Music in Education projects. 1969, 1976-1980 and undated. 24 tapes. (23 cassettes, one reel tape).
See Series 2 list
3. Copies of articles on Music in South Australia by H. Brewster-Jones, John Horner, Doreen Bridges and V.A. Edgeloe. 1936, 1960 and undated. 4 items.
4. Elder Conservatorium "Summary of achievements in recent years" c. 1979. 3p.
5. Letter Harold Fairhurst to M.J. Fox 6 Dec. 1978 supplying autobiographical information. 1 item.
6. University of Adelaide School of Music Manual of Information 1945. 2 copies
7. University of Adelaide Festival of Organ Music - inauguration of the Casavant Organ Programme June 1979. 1 item.
8. University Music Society 1979 Silver Jubilee Year Programme. 1 item.
9. Notes prepared to accompany display items at Elder Conservatorium exhibition. 1 folder.
10. Lectures and course notes 1993-1997 and undated. 4 cm.
[Includes (undated) lecture on Beethoven Op.135 (notes and overhead transparencies); notes for teaching on 20th century music (various dates); descriptions of Music education courses and lectures (1993 and undated); study guide for Music Theory I and III, Music History I and Music since the 1940s II (1995-97); (undated) notes and overheads for lecture on Music in Space.]
11. Papers by Fox, principally on music education and Matriculation music. 1973-1982, 1991. 14 items.
['Happy New Ears: trends and possibilities in contemporary music in education' September 1973 (typescript); papers published in the proceedings of music education conferences and the journals of music education associations 1977-1982; and transcripts to accompany 5UV radio courses on Matriculation Music 1977 and 1979; also 'My heart belongs to daddy: a user-friendly guide to Elektra (with Brian Coghlan) 1991]
note some Matriculation music printed exam papers and candidates completed papers received in 1983 and formerly listed as part of Series 11 and Series 12 were culled from this series on revision of the collection in January 2003.]
12. Correspondence with the Australia Council [formerly Australia Council for the Arts] 1974, 1984-1985, 1994-1995. 3 cm.
[1974 re contemporary music concerts being organised by Fox; 1984-1985 re principles of funding allocation by the Council; 1994-1995 re the Composers Commissions program of the Council's Performing Arts Board]
14. Lectures and other papers on Wagner and the Ring Cycle.
1978, 1988-89, 1993, 1996 and undated. 10 cm.
[Includes lectures, notes, Guides, class readings, libretto and text of ABC program on Lohengrin (1989), papers 'Siegfried's death' and 'Wotan's spear' published in Wagner 1989 and 1993, and From Alberich to Wotan: 101 things you ought to know about Wagner and the Ring Cycle (1996).]