Hillcrest and Glenside Hospitals (South Australia)
Publications, leaflets etc., 1964-1992
Northfield Mental Hospital, as it was originally proclaimed in April 1929, was built to accommodate South Australia's mentally ill and to provide them with therapeutic occupation in a farm-like setting. In reality, the inmates of Northfield lived within a custodial system for more than thirty years which saw many of them become institutionalised and highly dependent upon an authoritarian regime. The stringencies of the war years only escalated the overcrowding problem and Northfield's facilities continued to deteriorate as it tried to accommodate more and more patients - young, elderly and infirm, suffering from a range of mental conditions.
In 1964, Northfield Mental Hospital was renamed Hillcrest Hospital, a decision which reflected the changing attitudes and approaches to those in need of psychiatric assessment and rehabilitation. Under the direction of Dr. Cramond, and later Doctors B. Shea, W. Dibden and J. Clayer, Hillcrest Hospital, bolstered by additional State funding, transformed the old pattern of custodial limited care, replacing it with a form of community care in which patients could be treated in their own social setting and provided with adequate after care service as well.
Today, Clements House and residential care facility Makk and McLeay Nursing Home, located at Oakden Campus, provide short-term intensive rehabilitation services and specialist mental health and geriatric expertise for patients unable to reside in mainstream care facilities.
In 1870, the Parkside Lunatic Asylum, as it was then known, became the home not only for Adelaide's mental health patients, but also for those nearing the end of their life, those suffering from undiagnosed diseases and for unmarried women with children and prostitutes as well. Its conditions were poor; the hospital itself largely self-reliant on its residents, utilising their skills to tend to the gardens, mend clothes and tailor shoes.
Initially preferring treatments such as bed rest and isolation, the hospital began to administer agents such as chloral hydrate, bromides, paraldehyde and barbiturates in the late 1800s. 1930 saw the introduction of arsenical treatment for syphilis derived dementia and by 1938 the hospital was trialling insulin shock treatment. Parkside also used electro-convulsive shock treatment, especially on those suffering with manic-depression or schizophrenia.
By the late 1950s, breakthroughs in modern drug treatments resulted in a fall in the number of patients admitted to the Asylum and in 1967 it was renamed Glenside Hospital, signifying a change in emphasis from a hospital to a community oriented service.
Adapted from Inside Glenside: A History of Mental Health in Adelaide, B. Williamson, 11 Aug 2011
The following papers were assembled by Maureen Bell in 2004. Additional papers were transferred from Glenside Hospital to the Barr Smith Library, Rare Books and Special Collections, in 2014. 18cm
1. Hillcrest Hospital biennial reports 1982/83-1989/91
2. Historical overview and planning
- Holt, Averil G. Hillcrest Hospital: the first 50 years. 1964
- Hillcrest Hospital (information pamphlet) 1985, 1986, 1990
- Hillcrest Hospital Brief. Ahladas, P. & Hillan, M. & Robb, P. 1978
- Hillcrest Hospital Outpatients Department (project brief). Gallagher, P., Gorgula, W. & Ramsay, A. 1978
3. Information for patients
- Information for patients leaflets [n.d.], varying editions, various languages
- Information kit, in folder. 1988
4. Information leaflets
Information leaflets for patients on services, programmes, units, mental illness etc. Mostly undated (1980s?)
5. Information for staff
- Hillcrest Hospital Staff handbook 1985, 1989
- Hillcrest Hospital An introduction for medical staff 1986, 1988
- Hillcrest Hospital Rehabilitation policy [after 1986]
- Hillcrest Hospital. Mason House. Schizophrenia, E. Duff-Tytler. 1980. "… designed to offer visiting & intra-hospital health professionals a comprehensive insight into the illness of schizophrenia"
- Hillcrest Hospital Electroconvulsive therapy (E.C.T), S. Aston. 1991
- Booklet Glenside Hospital and suicide. Suicide Review Committee. 1985
6. Drugs in psychiatry: a Hillcrest Hospital manual. 1982, 1985, 1988, 1989
- Hillcrest Hospital map
- Official opening of James Nash House at Hillcrest Hospital (leaflet) 1987
- Stationery blanks [NOT TO BE COPIED]
- Christmas card
- Letterheads, envelopes
- Student Research Fellowship Research Project certificate
- Hillcrest Hospital service certificate
- Hillcrest Hospital Psychiatric Nurses' Career Advancement Course Certificate
8. Glenside Hospital
- Staff handbook [n.d.]
- Guidelines for generation of patient information, 1981
- Glenside Hospital redevelopment – Stage 2, 1979
- The Cedars: opening of the new organic dementia and infirmary unit, 15 Feb 1985
- Glenside Hospital 1870-1985 [handbook for new medical officers]. Includes papers from a clinical meeting on 'Glenside Hospital and suicide', 1984.
- Review of Glenside Hospital's accommodation services for discharged persons, J. McClelland, 1987
- Glenside Hospital annual report, 1992
- Thesis A psychiatric centre for Glenside, Brian T. Quinn, 1971
- Glenside Hospital building plans, Public Buildings Department, Aug 1981
- 8 Glenside Hospital heritage buildings surveys, Public Buildings Department, S.A. Government, 1981-1982
- Psychiatric nurse education. Submission in response to recommendations 42-50: enquiry into mental health services - Smith, 1983. Working party recommendations. Glenside Hospital and Hillcrest Hospital. Presented Sep 1985.
- South Australian Mental Health Service, annual report, 1991-92