Papers, mainly on Sri Lanka ca. 1800-1999
Michael Roberts was trained in history and the social sciences at Peradeniya University in Sri Lanka. His initial Ph.D work on agrarian policy took him into intellectual history as well as economic history and political economy. Once he began in the late 1960s to look at the social base of the nationalist movement in British Ceylon, his researches moved him into social history - this involved a study of social mobility and elite formation. This shift was further promoted by his involvement in the interdisciplinary discussions of the Ceylon Studies Seminar at Peradeniya, in which he was key founder.
His oral history work among administrators and politicians in the late 1960s provided a foundation for his deepening engagement with the phenomenon of nationalism. These researches crystallised in the four-volume Documents of the Ceylon National Congress (1977, Dept of national archives) and the edited anthology Collective Identities (Marga, 1979).
When he gained an Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship to Germany in 1975-76 and then secured a post at the Dept of Anthropology at the University of Adelaide, this process of transformation continued. Teaching anthropology meant studying the subject and gaining awareness of ethnographic field study methodology. Though he never pursued extensive field studies, his researches in effect involved the deciphering of the life ways of the middle classes of modern Sri Lanka. His Caste Conflict and Elite Formation: The Rise of a Karava Elite in Sri Lanka, 1500-1931 (1982, CUP) is as much a product of Peradeniya as Adelaide, while People Inbetween (Sarvodaya, 1989) is about the middle classes of British Ceylon and the growth of Colombo city to hegemonic status.
When the ethnic conflict within Sri Lanka sharpened after 1983, Roberts’ familiarity with nationalist ideology stood him in good stead; while his anthropological awareness of human relations and inter-personal subjectivity also came in handy. Thus, his recent writings in the 1990s and 2000s have concentrated heavily on ethnic politics in Sri Lanka, both in the British period (for. e. g. studies of Anagarika Dharmapala’s thinking and the 1915 anti-Muslim pogrom) and in contemporary Lanka (Sinhala nationalist writing and the LTTE’s hero rituals). At the same time he has (a) undertaken an excursion into the pre-British era and analysed the political structure and ideological form of the state of SinhalÄ“ in the period 1590s to 1815 and (b) ventured to analyse the politics of cricket in Sri Lanka as well as abroad (see Essaying Cricket, 2006 Vijitha Yapa Publications).
(extracted from Michael Roberts' Thuppahi's blog' concerning the politics of Sri Lanka and cricket http://thuppahi.wordpress.com)
Series 1.1 Oral History Project (Ceylon / Sri Lanka) 1965-69
300 cassette tapes plus 1720 p. of transcripts etc. Comprising tapes of 154 interviews by Michael Roberts of retired public servants who had served in Sri Lanka (mainly in the Ceylon Civil Service), politicians and other notables. Also full transcripts of 22 interviews, notes and comments on other interviews, and comments on the work Pul Eliya: a village in Ceylon, by Edmund Leach. Also writings of and information on T.W. Roberts.
Digital versions of some recordings are also available through the Library's Adelaide Research and Scholarship digital repository.
1.2 Later oral history recordings
Note: we do not have a mini-cassette player. Mini-cassettes will need to be digitised before use.
Series 2 Source materials on Sri Lanka (mainly manuscripts)
2.1 Manuscripts etc arranged chronologically
Photocopied extracts from ms reminiscences of Mrs Darby Griffith ‘Ceylon during a residence in the years 1841-42’, with Robert’s ms notes. In oversize box.
Also ms transcriptions of the diary undertaken by Mr W.J.F. Labrooy, Head of History at Peradeniya University. With typescript: Essay on banyan (and the cultivation of tea) by A.P. Herbert (takenfrom Punch 23/2/1955) [2 leaves]
Advocate Dunuwille’s fee book 1859-1864. With newspaper article: Andromeda of the Sinhalese / J.A. Will Perera from The Times of Ceylon 28/9/1947; and letter from Charles H. Dunuwille to the Ceylon Daily News [n.d.] (negative photographic copies in folder) 170 leaves. Copied from Sri Lanka Archives?
Wm. Digby. MSS: The food taxes and revenue farming system of Ceylon: a statement of the evil with suggestions for its removal. 1876. Original ms, repaired, with photographic copy of authentication by James Ruthay(?) 50 leaves. With stamp of Sri Lanka Archives?
Frederick Dornhorst. MSS: [A short account of my life] in notebook 34 x 11 cm.  p. With newspaper clippings ‘Westward bound’ 1886 and ‘Gossip from the west’ pasted in rear of notebook, plus ms travel itinerary of a journey through Europe 1900 [1 leaf]. In envelope with copies of the will of Frederick Dornhurst and correspondence re the estate and the Dornhurst Trust 1924-1938.Also photocopy of indenture between Ronald Joseph Godfrey De Mel and Kingsley Louis Victor Alagiyawanna as sponsors of the Dr G.C. Mendis Memorial Fund … 12 p. and Letter to his children 22/2/1895 8 p.
British Government correspondence on the occasion of the coronation of King Edward VII 1902, copied from the Public Record Office [letter from the Indian Mohammaden Society of Colombo 18/6/1902, letter acknowledging addresses to the King from Ceylon]
Edmund Hewavitane and Namanidewage Albert Wijesekere. Court martial charge-sheet ca 1915. Spirit duplicated typescript, with ms annotations. , 41 leaves. With stamp of Sri Lanka Archives? Also 2 negative photographic copies.
G.L. Cooray. MSS re riot compensation for C.E.A. Dias’s car, 1915-1917 (negative photographic copies in folder) 100 leaves. Copied from Sri Lanka Archives? Plus a positive photographic copy in larger format. In oversize box
Minutes of the Ceylon Reform League 1917-1920. Folder includes printed and ms rules, minutes, receipts and reports. Many leaves have been damaged and repaired with tissue overlays. In oversize box
1926 Colombo street directory (photocopy)
Memo on the policy of the Unionist Association of Ceylon, with signatures of founder members, August 1927 (negative photographic copy) 2 leaves. Copied from the Lionel de Fonseka MSS in the Sri Lanka Archives? With typescript transcript from The Ceylon Daily News 10/8/1927 ‘New political caucus: the Unionist Party of Ceylon. Sir Marcus Fernando: lengthy speech at the Little Hall’
Varsa 1803 di siduvu Ingrisi Simhala maha yuddhaya, hevat Ingirisi hatana Valigala Mundali nam kavivaraya visin prabandhakarana ladi / Valigala Kavisundara. [Sri Lanka]: Karunatilaka Appuhami, 1939. 38 p. (photocopy) Sinhalese poem.
E.A.P. Wijeyeratne letter book, 1939-7 (typescripts)
Bernard Aluwihare MSS ca 1939 (photocopies), with typescript ‘The Indian Problem’ from 1953 diary, and Mrs R. Canekeratne’s Notes for editing purposes, with copies, of Bernard Aluwihare MSS
Presidential address of Mr S.J.V. Chelvanayagam, K.C., Member of Parliament-Ceylon delivered at the Inaugural and First Business Meeting of the Ilanka Tamil Abasu Kadchi (The Federal Freedom Party of the Tamil-Speaking People of Ceylon) on 18th December, 1949, at the G.C.S.U. Hall, Colombo.15 p. (photocopy)
Extracts from letter from Ceylon 20/10/1953): “Description of the AGM of the Lanka Sama Samaja Party, 1953, by a British Trotskyite” copied from file from the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace, Stanford CA (photocopy)
Police file on the Ceylon Communist Party (ca 1953-54) Typescript (carbon copy): headed SECRET.
Donald Friend. Typed extracts from the Diaries, vol. 3 (The Ceylon Diaries cover the period 25/1/1957 to 22/7/1962)
Insurgency Summary and report by SA Dissanayaka of National Security on the activities of the J.V.P. 10/9/1973 and 4/1/1974 (photocopies of typescripts)
Indo Lanka Accord: photocopies of documents concerning ‘Network events leading up to meetings at the highest level’
2.2 De Silva manuscripts
MSS: [Biographical information on W.A. de Silva and family 1875-1913 (negative photographic copies in folder)  leaves. Copied from C.P. Fonseka MSS in the Sri Lanka Archives?
Rev. Simon De Silva. Selected extracts from the diaries. 1897-1939 (negative photographic copies in folder) 234 leaves. Copied from Sri Lanka Archives?
W.A. De Silva: letters and manuscripts 1913-1931 (negative photographic copies in folder) 56 leaves.
Copied from Sri Lanka Archives? pLUS TYPESCRIPT.
George E. De Silva Memoirs (unpublished typescript – carbon copy, 142 leaves) [after 1933]
2.3 Mooyaart manuscripts
Letter 10/1/1813 from A.N.M. (= Anthony Noel Mooyaart, son of Gualterus Mooyaart) of Amsterdam to J.N. Mooyaart of Ceylon (Photocopy of typescript) 11 leaves. With brief biographies of the correspondents, and an undated letter from Rev. R.J. Mooyaart of Berkshire containing family information. In oversize box
Revd Henry Mooyaart. MSS: ‘Reminiscences of the Reverend Henry Mooyaart, M.A. of Oxford, late of the Ceylon Civil Service.’ 1916. Typescript copy of the original held by Mooyaart’s descendants. 79,  leaves, with  leaves of photographs.
2.4 Pieris manuscripts
Hannedige Jeronis Pieris MSS. Letters 1853-1856 (negative photographic copies) 40 leaves. Copied from Sri Lanka Archives?
Essay by Sir James Pieris 21 June 1877 on ‘Free Trade’ (negative photographic copies) 4 leaves. Copied from Sri Lanka Archives? 2 copies.
Ms letters by Sir James Pieris 6/2/1879-19/2/1886 (negative photographic copies in folder) 15 leaves. Copied from Sri Lanka Archives? 2 copies.
‘Sir James Pieris in politics 26/3/1894-19/3/1924’ negative photographic copies of “Collection of reports of meetings held in favour of Mr James Pieris’ nomination as representative of the Lowcountry Sinhalese in the Legislative Council. Printed at the Ceylon Examiner Press” [after 1895]. With associated correspondence. In folder. Copied from Sri Lanka Archives? 2 copies.
‘H.J. Pieris MSS.’ negative photographic copies of letter in Sinhalese script. 4 leaves. [n.d.] Copied from Sri Lanka Archives?
B.P. Pieris. Draft of memoirs [after 1963] (unpublished typescript, 307 leaves) 2 copies, one annotated and inscribed ‘corrected 22/8/68’
2.5 Wijewardene manuscripts
Scrapbook on D.R. Wijewardene and the Ceylon National Association 1913-1950: contains newspaper clippings and photographs, including photographs of the funeral (Wijewardene was a political activist and founder of ‘The Ceylon Daily News’)
D.R. Wijewardene. MSS letters 1917-1938 (negative photographic copies in folder)  leaves. Copied from Sri Lanka Archives? In oversize box
2.6 Social History sources
Source material on life ways/styles and elite formation, including family histories, caste formation etc. With notes by Michael Roberts.
Letters re elite formation monograph 1968-71, with notes by Roberts and transcriptions of letter from Lady Dias B to Countess de S. Cannavarro 2/6/1927, and Fletcher-Cowell letter 2/8/1927 – see Caste conflict and elite formation: the rise of a Karava elite in Sri Lanka, 1500-1931 / Michael Roberts. Cambridge University Press, 1982.
‘Assorted data: Karava’: photocopies, ms notes and draft sections in envelope, including: extracts from D.A. Kotelawele typescript; article ‘Indigenous dominance in a colonial economy, the Goa Rendas, 1600-1670 / M.N. Pearson, from Mare Luso-Indicum (Geneve, 1973) v. 2p. 61-73; extract from B.D. Chattapadhyaya typescript
Genealogy of the family of Dias Bandaranayaka / R.L. Dias Bandaranayaka. [Port Colombo, after 1945] 23 p. (photocopy, with ms annotations)
Photocopied articles, photographs, cartoons and drawings from newspapers and publications, including The Ceylon Observer Centenary Supplement, Amicus Annual, Ceylon Observer Annual, Times of Ceylon, Ceylon Observer, Plâté’s Ceylon Annual ca 1858-1941, in envelope. In Oversize box
[Photocopies of assorted letters and memos about the burghers and aspects of Sri Lankan Social History, in part arising from interests in the book People inbetween: the Burghers and the middle class in the transformations within Sri Lanka, 1790s-1960s / Michael Roberts, Ismeth Raheem, Percy Colin-Thome. (Ratmalana, Sri Lanka: Sarvodaya Book Pub. Services, 1989): includes letter from Dr Justin Labrooy to Michael Roberts 29/5/1990; letter from Stan Sharpe to Michael Roberts 19/8/1990; letter from Pat Jansz 16/7/1990; letter from Lorenz Ludovici 30/7/1990; postcard of Galle from Vic Misso ca. 1905-7; letter from David Goodrich to Michael Roberts 2/2/1998; letter from S.J. Kadirgamar to Percy Colin-Thome re Charles Ambrose Lorenz 12/5/1986, and reply 19/5/1986; letter from Percy Colin-Thome to Dr T.B.H. Abeyasinghe 16/6/1982 re Lorenz; ‘Leopold Ludovici: a note by Percy Colin-Thome (ms, 2 leaves); transcription of obituary of J.F. Lorenz from Ceylon Examiner 3/5/1888; letter Sam Mattau to Michael Roberts 22/8/1985 re sources; article signed A.C. [C.A. Lorenz?]; cuttings re Dutch Burgher Union Journal from Sunday Observer 6/6/1932 and Ceylon Daily News 8/6/1982; article ‘Galle: something to crow about through a (reversed) telescope / Herbert Keuneman, from Remembering Evelyn F.C. Ludowyk(?) p. 18-21; A memo from the Drieberg family.
[Photocopied sources on Sri Lanka social history to do with the Karava Caste families etc.: includes letter from Dr P.V.D. Fernando to Michael Roberts 3/11/1995; letter Tony Peries to Michael Roberts 28/3/1999; memo by Tony Peries 26/3/1999 [re field research for The Karava of Ceylon: society and culture / by M.D. Raghavan (published Colombo: K.V.G. de Silva, 1961); Genealogical table of the Varnakula Additya (Varnage) de Fonseka and the Varnakula Additya Arsanillaite d’Anderado Families of Calutara and Colombo.
Notes on Salagama flag and bali / Michael Roberts. On cards, in envelope.
Notes on Karara elite / Michael Roberts. On cards, in envelope.
Folder of notes taken from printed sources.
Various photocopied chapters, extracts etc from print sources.
2.7: Family trees
Family trees of the Dickman, Stewart, Morgan, de Saram and Pereira families, several showing the direct line from Dickman and Stewart families to Rodney de Saram (15 sheets, A2 photocopies). In map cabinet
12 small photograph albums of original photographs and photographic copies of historic sources, mostly unidentified apart from E. Plantation scenes (1 album); G. Exotica (1 album); "People inbetween" (2 albums)
Photographs of spare parts merchants (cars, bikes, etc) 1981
Panchikawatte (suburb of Colombo) 27 b&w photographs
Panchikawatte Street 21 b&w photographs
Panchikawatte Street, Maradana 18 b&w photographs
Parades Durbars Levee
Colombo in the old days
Darby Griffith; Barncker
Planters and plantations
Anagarika Dharmapala diary extracts. 9 reels of positive microfilm.
Copied from the National Archives of Sri Lanka in 1989, reels 30-38.
Newspaper clippings album and diary of Charles Henry de Soysa (1836-1890). I reel of positive microfilm (without reel)
Copied from the National Archives of Sri Lanka.
Various mss documents related to Ceylon from the Royal Commonwealth Library in London. 1 reel.
Pages from The Ceylon Independent, The Ceylon Dily News, and The Times of Ceylon. 1 negative reel.
Copied from the National Archives of Sri Lanka.
Diaries of Edmund Rowland Jayathilake Gooneratne, colonial-era administrator and literary figure. 4 reels positive microfilm.
Copied from the National Archives of Sri Lanka.
Unidentified Sinhalese text, National Archives of Ceylon reference no. 18/78.
Copied from the National Archives of Ceylon 1979(?)
Sketch of town etc. Colombo Fort. 1 reel negative microfilm, British Library PS8250608, Add 38076.
Copied from the British Library.
[Part of British Library, Archives and Manuscripts 38076. COLLECTION of charts and plans of coasts, rivers, islands, etc., drawn for military or sailing. purposes, many of which have reference to the voyages and naval engagements of Adm. Richard, Earl Howe (d. 1799). Purchased at the sale of his collections in 1904. Transferred from the Department of Printed Books (Section of Maps)??]
Ceylon Census 1946? 1 reel negative microfilm.
Copied from the National Archives of Sri Lanka.
MSS documents of Sir Henry George Ward, Governor of Sri Lanka 1855-1860. 1 reel negative microfilm.
Copied from Oxford University Library.
Office memo book 1936-37 of Sir D.B. Jayatilaka, Minister of Home Affairs. Bracegirdle file. With source documents re coconut and cinnamon lands ca 1891. 1 reel negative microfilm.
Copied from the National Archives of Sri Lanka.
Series 3: Source materials: Official publications of Ceylon/Sri Lanka
See also Part 2 Series B.
Ceylon. Governor. Message from His Excellency the Governor (Sir High Clifford) 18/5/1927 [to the Finance Committee outlining his scheme for the extension of peasant-proprietorship. Includes Appendix: The land policy of government and the reasons for land settlement (extract from the Ceylon Legislative Council Debates of November 13, 1907)
Ceylon. Sessional Paper IV (1908) Despatches relating to railway station accommodation in Colombo (3 copies)
Ceylon. Sessional Paper LVII (1908) Memorandum by His Excellency the Governor on the Colombo Harbour Works. (2 copies)
Ceylon. Sessional Paper VI (1909) Further correspondence on the subject of the Colombo Lake Development and connection with the harbour (2 copies)
Ceylon. Sessional Paper XII (1924) Scheme for protection of Colombo North from floods of the Kelani-Ganga. (2 copies)
Ceylon. Sessional Paper II (1931). Colombo District floods: report of the Committee appointed to inquire into the causes of the failure of the railway embankment forming part of the North Flood protection Scheme during the 1930 floods.
Ceylon. Sessional Paper VI (1951). Ceylon fisheries: recommendations of experts on fisheries development, research, socio-economic and industrial problems (Photocopy)
Ceylon. Administration Reports, 1894. Part IV: Miscellaneous. Public Instruction / report of Mr A. Walker.
Ceylon. Administration Reports, 1912-13. Part I: Civil. Survey / report of Mr R.S. Templeton.
Ceylon. Administration Reports, 1914. Part I: Civil. Survey / report of Mr W.C.S. Ingles.
Ceylon. Administration Reports, 1916. Part I: Civil. Survey / report of Mr W.C.S. Ingles.
Ceylon. Memorandum on the working of the Buddhist Temporalities’ Ordnance, 1889 / A.R. Dawson, Government Agent, Western Province.
Ceylon. Dept of Census and Statistics. Selected tables and diagrams. Colombo: Government Printer, 1921.
Ceylon. Dept of the Rubber Controller for Ceylon. Ceylon Rubber Census, 1928.
Ceylon. Return of the population of the island of Ceylon compiled from the seperate reports ... 1824. Colombo, 1827 (photocopy)
Ceylon. [Census of 1891: report] (photocopy, incomplete)
Ceylon. [Census of 1911] Incomplete: sections on Colombo, birthplaces and occupations only (photocopy)
Sri Lanka. Census of population and housing, 1981. Preliminary release no. 1.
Ceylon. Correspondence relating to disturbances in Ceylon. 1916. Cd. 8167 (photocopy) OVERSIZE
Ceylon. Correspondence  relating to disturbances in Ceylon. 1916. Eastern no. 128 (photocopy) OVERSIZE
Alphabetical and numercal lists of the villages in the Eastern Province, showing the headman’s divisions in which they are situated and the courts which have jurisdiction over them / compiled and issued by the Dept of Census and Statistics. 1926. FRAGILE. In oversize box
Sri Lanka. Ministry of Finance and Planning. National Planning Division. Transport statistics in Sri Lanka (June 1981) with 1982 extract from Bangkok Post, and photocopies of economic, population, housing etc statistics
Series 4: Bibliography/resources listings re Sri Lanka
Manuscripts on Ceylon held in the British Library (envelope with photocopies, card references etc)
Ceylon. Dept of Census and Statistics. An annotated bibliography of the departmental publications. 1961.
Sri Lanka. Ministry of Finance and Planning. Economic Affairs Division. Bibliography on national planning in Sri Lanka [ca 1978]
De Silva, G.P.S.H. A survey of the Archives and manuscripts relating to Sri Lanka and located in major London repositories. Paris: UNESCO, 1981. 100 p.
Leslie de Saram Collection: a classified list / compiled by M.A. Gunapala, incorporating work done earlier by Mrs V. de Souza. University of Peradeniya Library, 1981 (University of Peradeniya Library publications 3)
Series 5: Sources: maps re Ceylon/Sri Lanka (in Map Cabinet)
See item listing
Also 3 small boxes of slides of maps
Series 6: Writings/publications etc. on Sri Lanka by others
Jiggins, Janice. Family and caste in the politics of the Sinhalese. (PhD – History) University of Sri Lanka, Peradeniya Campus. 1973.
Obeyesekere, Ranjini. A grief ago: five stories (Special issue of The Thatched Patio v. 4 no. 5 (Sept/Oct 1991) Published: International Centre for Ethnic Studies (Photocopy)
'Truth Tigers' Foreign Correspondent Episode 32, Series 11. 1 DVD.
Assorted photocopied extracts and articles, reprints and newspaper cuttings.
Series 7: Michael Roberts research notes on Sri Lanka
Sinhalese castes from the Censuses of 1814-16 and 1824-27. MS notes and tables.
Ethnic distribution in selected towns 1901 & 1911. Ms and typed notes and tables.
Ethnicity of select occupations according to province, 1911. Ms and typed notes and tables.
Census data 1881, 1891, 1901: categories and nationality. Ms nots, photocopy
- Blue card file boxes – research for Roberts’ book Caste conflict and elite formation: the rise of a Karava elite in Sri Lanka, 1500-1931 (Cambridge University Press, 1982)
- Red file boxes – Ferguson – book on surveys
- 3 file boxes – research notes for Roberts’ PhD (not used in thesis – immigration/agrarian history/nationalism)
- Card file – 8 boxes on land policy 1962 – for Robert’s thesis
- Red card file - 1927 Colombo housing. Arranged by name/nationality with street addresses
Series 8: Coded data sheets
Colombo project undertaken by Michael Roberts, Kingsley and K. Garbett 1978-1980 re economic and social problems within Colombo
Coded data sheets on land transfers, housing assessment register 1949 (with copies of coding scheme), and Bullers Lane Housing Scheme
Tenement lists for Colombo 1868-69
Coded data sheets, coding scheme and some correspondence (associated with the Colombo project above) See also photocopies in Oversize box.
Marriage advertisements ca 1970 (research not written up)
Coded data sheets, coding scheme, and newspaper advertisements
Series 9: Writings/publications by Michael Roberts on Sri Lanka.
Interviews and notes on contemporary Sri Lankan politics (photocopies of ms notes)
"CONVIVIAL CHATS" with
A. Bishop Kenneth Fernando, in Adelaide, 1999
B. Correspondence Sumane Iyer & Roberts, November 2002
C. A Tamil Perspective on Sri Lankan Situation: Chat with Mr Rajanayagam, Adelaide 11 Dec 2000
D. Chat with David Rutter, former Australian ambassador in Lanka, re 1980s situation --- in Adelaide, 30 March 2006E. Chat with Lionel Bopage [former JVP leader in 1970s], in Adelaide, 2008
"People of righteousness march on for Sri Lanka" / Michael Roberts 7 June 2011 5 p. Printout.
"People of righteousness 'pursue campaign against Sri Lanka with missionary zeal'" / Michael Roberts 20 June 2011  p. Printout.
Remainder to be listed.
Series 10: Research material collected/writings by Michael Roberts – other subjects
10.1 Anzac Symbolism
Research material collected for a proposed book on ‘Anzac: Today and Yesterday’ / Michael Roberts, Chris Flaherty, Jeff Doyle and Mark Tiggeman.
Includes photographs, draft chapters, newspaper clippings, photocopies of articles.
10.2 Race/ethnicity/multiculturalism/ Australian culture and language/Australian national identity/Aborigines
Mainly photocopies of articles. Includes material used in teaching of course on Ethic Identity and Ethnic Conflict 1996.
Including web articles (available online from http://www.espncricinfo.com/)
Also numerous photographs digitised and stored on internal drive
Photocopies: Score book of St Peter’s College 1st XI on Ceylon tour 1928, plus extracts from the St Peter’s Magazine
Articles by Neville Turner on the 1992 Australian touring team visit to Sri Lanka
Including gambling in Bali; politics in Vanuatu and Fiji, and India; copy of letter from Don Bradman declining invitation to Australia Sri lanka Association reception 27/12/1989
Also numerous photographs re Sri Lankan politics digitised and stored on internal drive
Interview with Dr Michael Roberts on "Emotions and the person in nationalist studies", paper delivered at Nationalism Today Conference (Osaka, Japan, March 18-21, 1992) University Radio 5UV [n.d.] 1 CDR.
Part 2 is arranged in research interests with headings supplied by of Michael Roberts. Works listed may apply to 2 or more categories.
A. British Agrarian Policy – especially 19th century
See also Part 1: Series 1. Roberts Oral History Project (ROHP)
• Data and notes on British 20th century land policy via Leach book ‘Pul Eliya’ and letters from ROHP interviewees
• The Land Development Ordinance and land tenure: memorandum on project etc (3 folders)
• Land Orders Manual, 14/8/1937
• Handwritten copies of segments from D’A Vincent’s Sessional Paper on Forest Reserves
• Land Commission 1928 and Pul Eliya quotations etc
B. Printed Government documents in Colonial era and post 1948
[See separate list]
C. Aspects of British rule, including lifestyle, racial prejudices and other attitudes
• Assorted photocopies / reprints of rare journal articles re British in Ceylon in the 19th century
• Typed transcripts of correspondence between E.W. Perera, Leonard Woolf, D.B. Jayatilaka and others re detention of Dr W.A. de Silva, martial law, riots in Ceylon t
• Bernard Aluwihare MSS. Includes political and social diaries 1939, ‘The Indian Problem” 1953; other diary extracts 1932-54, Memo on Sessional Paper XXVIII 1938
D. Social Mobility and Aspects of Class Formation and Elite Formation in British Ceylon
• Data for Robert’s book “Caste Conflict and Elite Formation: The Rise of a Karava Elite in Sri Lanka, 1500-1931” (1982)
• Research sources for Robert’s book ‘People Inbetween’ (1989) (photocopies of articles)
• Images and maps considered for ‘People Inbetween’
• Typescripts: Letter from Government Agent, Kandy to the Colonial Secretary, 1849, with list of property sold in Kandy area with purchasers’ names, 1840
• Royal Colombo Golf Club. Minutes of meetings 1962-3 and list of members
• Plumbago (vein graphite) mining: photocopies from Sessional Papers 1873; Blue Book and ms data on exports; Sedgwick on the Plumbago Industry 1924; Stonier on Graphite Mining 1904; Stonier’s map; Mannheimer on Plumbago 1907; also information on road and bridge tolls, return of licensed hotels. Return of wheeled vehicles etc
• Notes and research on workers at Bogala Mines (1946)
• Information on land sales, crop and cattle statistics and temple lands in Central Province and Kandy ca 1868-1921
• Information on merchants and traders, artisans and dealers, trade lists, mills and manufactories, Ceylon Agricultural Society members, Municipal Councillors, members of House of Representatives etc ca 1850s-1910s
• Elite Formation material, including letters, wills of N.S. Fernando Wijeyesekera and M.A. Fernando; 1858 banquest; Shanti Sri Chandrasekera’s answers to questions; G.C. Rodrigo’s essays in The Nation
• Tables of distribution of castes from ‘Caste and Family in the Politics of the Sinalese 1947-1971’ / J. Jiggins
• Typescript: The Origins and Characteristics of the Private Sector in Ceylon …’ / Michael Roberts
• Typescript: ‘New Elites in Ceylon’ / Ralph Pieris
• Assorted data collected by Roberts for People Inbetween incl. letters from Sam Kadirgimar, Percy Colin-Thome & S.A.W. Mottau
• Plantation owners from Ferguson’s Directory 1917 and 1927 (4 envelopes)
• Ferguson’s Plantations 1907-8
• Register on estates
• Low Country Products Association. Register of Estates n.d.
• Ferguson’s Directory 1917: plantation owner data
• Assorted Statistical data
• Irrigation data
• Plantation owners 1906-07
• Statistical tables 1890-91
• Irrigation ordinances; waste lands ordinance of 1897; Tawney on land settlement; L.J. de S.
• Paddy production, Blue Book data
• 1917 and 1927 Super League
• Plantations ethnic breakdowns 1917; Coffee gardens 1875, 1871-72, 1880-81
• Native coffee gardens statistical tables 1871-2, 1880-1
• Plantation ownership data from Ferguson’s Directory 1880-81
• 1890 original Xeroxes from Fergusons
• 1927 Plantations: ethnic; lists of notaries and proctors
• 1917 extra; 1871-72 1880-81 and Elite tables
• Ferguson’s outlines [various]; copper commercial statistics; maps of coconut tea rubber distribution 1924
• Peterson; Ferguson
• Photocopies from Blue Book 1878, 1879, 1882
• Population breakdown 1881 etc
Dutch Burgher Union of Ceylon
• The Dutch Burgher Union of Ceylon: its foundation its aims and its membership 1934 (very fragile)
• Journal of the Dutch Burgher Union of Ceylon vols. 17 no. 3 (1928); 18 no. 3 (1929); 21 nos. 3 & no. 4 (1932) (2 copies); 23 no. 2 (1933) and Index (1934); 24 nos. 3 and no. 4 (1935); Index vols. 24-26; 27 no. 1 (1937) & no. 3 (1938); 28 no. 4 (1939); 29 no. 2 (1939); 32 no. 4 (1943); 33 no. 1 (1943); 55 nos 1-4 (1965); loose pages
E. Nationalist Stirrings and Political Movements 1840s-1940s
• MS notes on 20th century politics, including Lanka Mahajana Sabha
• Copies of letters: James Rutnam, H.J. Pieris, Frederick Dornhorst, Lyddon Tambimuttu- S.V.O. Somander etc
• Typescript and MS notes on Lanka Maha Jana Sabha 1919-1923 etc
• Typescript extracts from 1920s newspapers on Ceylon politics
• E.J. Samerawickrema manuscript
• Newspaper clippings early 20th century politics eg E.W. Perera mission
• Olcott: Buddhist Catechism 1881 (photocopy) and extracts from Sinhala newspapers
• Extracts / copies from newspapers, including Sarasavi Sandarasa 1884-99
• Summaries of stories by W.A. de Silva etc (mainly in Sinhala) and typescript: Decline of the Sinalese
• Lanka Mahajana Sabha 1920s; Memoranda on Reform proposals (typescript copies)
• Notes on walkout 1922, income tax 1919, economic nationalism, LCPA minutes etc
• Dharmapala Lipi (photocopy of Sinhala publications)
• Typescripts: H.M. Fernando; D.R. Wijewardene; E.W. Perera
• E.T. De Silva public meetings 1917, 1920-23
• EAP Wijeyeretne memo 1938 in London; Bracegirdle file (typescripts). Plus published booklets on Ceylon 1938, 1941, 1951; newspaper issues Socialist Party of Ceylin and Varsity News (Colombo) 1940-41; booklet ‘Soviet Resistance and the Future of Mankind 1941.
• Ceylon Reform League Minutes; Appendix – Sabapathy correspondence 1918. Conference in Jaffra 1925, CNC on Tamil M.J. Sabha.
• Typescripts: Lionel de Fonseka and Marcus Fernando MSS
• Typescripts: Lionel de Fonseka MSS; Terence de Zylva, Boycott Movement Leaflet 1932
• C.H. de Soysa epitaph; Pieris family letter data
• Arrack farm and renters data
• ‘PB: odds and ends”; Genealogies; .R. de Silva – Ethnic prejudice and the writing of history
• Correspondence re Hanweddige / Pierises 1969; Letters from Mrs Boyd Jayasuriya, L.S. de S Piersis 1968 etc (photocopies)
• Dharmapala’s letters 1915
• Typescripts: Ceylon Deputation 1909; D.R. Wijewardena letter; E.J. Samerawickrame MSS; D.S. Senanayake to D.B. Jayatillake 1918; “Will” to E.W. Perera 1915 and other Perera letters; L. Muthukrishna ‘Some memories of 1915 …’
• D.S. Senanayake Report to the Board of Ministers … o his discussions with the Secretary of State for the Colonies, 9 October 1945 (Typescript) 2 COPIES.
• The Nationalist Movement” typescripts
• Assorted newsheets, leaflets etc 1912, 1951-52
• Diary of Revd John Simon de Silva 1917 (temperance movement)
• Shufeldt. The Negro: a menace (1907) Photocopy
• Ed Ayers. In Black & White (on USA). Typescript
• Crowe. Lynching statistics / idea of race; Hofstadter. The paranoid Style; Prather. Wilmington Race Riot / Race for Order; Hamilton. Australian and American Jews (photocopies)
• Tololyan articles
• LJM Cooray. The Life and Times of Sir James Peiris. March 1993 (typescript)
• Tweed photocopies
• Assorted photocopied articles
• Notes and photocopies from Jones, Almond, Seagar, Kuhn.
• Jones on Jataka; Almond (photocopied articles)
• Photocopied pages from published diaries: Olcott on Theosophy and Golden Rules
• Ceylon National Congress (CNC) documents (ephemeral publications, newspaper clippings etc)
• CNC flyers of meetings, ms notes late 1940s?
• CNC flyers, ephemeral publications re public meetings 1940s
• George R. Motha print documents 1940 et al
• Typescripts: CNC Propaganda Meeting Galle 1923 and report on; General meeting of Sabaragamuwa Association 1920; ; General meeting of Galle Association 1920; news items on Arunachalam’s return from England 1920 and Scheduled Meeting of the Executive Committee and the Galle Association 1920
• Typescripts: CNC meetings 1920 and 19223
• Assorted rare pamphlets published in the 20th century re Ceylon National Congress [25 pamphlets in English and Sinhala]
• Assorted rare pamphlets published in the 20th century re Ceylon National Congress [25 pamphlets in English and Sinhala]
• Assorted rare pamphlets published in the 20th century by political activists – including Leftist leaders [21 pamphlets in English and Sinhala] LIST ?????
F. Disturbances and Riots in Ceylon, 1880s to 1930s
From Dept of National Archives MSS
• Lot 33/2733. Petition in support of the peace offices at Wellawatte 1888?; lists of landholders 1888(photocopies)
• 33/991. Kotahena riots 1883 MSS
• Galle Confrontations 1899-1903
• Card notes on
• Chandra Vitharana’s locality oral history re 1915 riots
• Interview data re 1915 riots
• Notes on miscellaneous disturbances (3 envelopes 7-9)
• Card notes from A.G.A.’s diaries re 1915 anti-Moor riots (4 envelopes)
• Card notes: Miscellaneous incidents 1889-1900 (2 envelopes)
• Card notes: Catholic Messenger 1889 and other
• Critical notes on political implications; Hulagalle-West Ridgeway 1903
• Card notes: Gampola Riot 1907
• Card notes: Walter Dulawa case; general background conditions 1915
• Card notes: Miscellaneous key data
• Card notes: Key items on 1915 riots
• Card notes: Post 1915 riots; the Sinhalese Memorial
• Card notes: Nakandapola in Gampaha disturbances 1926-7, 1930
• Card notes: Robert’s notes from PVJ Jayasekera thesis on 1915 riots
‘Notes from Sinhalese newspapers’
• Card notes: Hitavadi 1914-15
• Card notes: Lakminipahana 1896, 1911-1914, 1903
• Card notes: Mixed 1880s and 1890s
• Assorted photocopies 1889, 1906, 1914
‘Notes from Sinhalese newspapers & DR overlap’ re riots of 1915 / nationalism (3 envelopes)
• Expressive data from Sinhala Jatiya 1910-15
• Expressive data 1906-15: Hitavadi, S. Banddhaya, S. SAndarasa, Dinamina
‘Dept of National Archives: assorted subjects’
• Siamese vs Amarapura Beruwala 1927; Gang robberies; Organisation vs civil disturbances
• Patrick Peebles: land buying data, crown lands
• 1840s land sales samples 1838-44
• Chilaw riots, December 1897; Moor-Sinhala
• Religious riots Weligama
• RE religious processions, assorted photocopies
• Dharmapala diary extracts
• Anuradhapura riots 1903; Sinhale Buddhist disturbances re scared sites
• Ambalangoda riots 1901; newspapers, Govt official material
• Discussions on religious processions in 1918; memorial from Hindus in Matale 1917 and from Buddhhists 1918; WA de Silva Memo on music; Dowbiggin vs Stubbs
• Kurunegala 1912, 1914-15: procession dispute in front of mosque
• Riots at Gampola 1915
• Data re disturbances: copies of printed data – New law Reports, Administration Reports, History of Ceylon ploce
• Galle 1899-1903
• Course handout: Documentary data from Buddhist activists in late 19th and early 20th centuries; booklet ‘An Open Letter to the Kandyan Chiefs’ / A.K. Coomaraswamy (1957)
• 1929 tramway strikes & attack on police station at Maradana
• Police records: Muslims vs Hindus 1927, 1933, 1936; DS Senanayake vs Dowbiggin on the Police Fort
• Chandra Vitara. Map of killings of ‘gangs today’ 1987 in Maradana
• CLU Red Shirts 1929; Rowdies transported … 1933; Assaults & intimidations of Malayalees by Sinhalese; Sardiel; Goonesinha; Memo re encouraging boxing in schools
• Police records – various disturbances 1915-1937
• W.A. Dep. Mss book on the 1915 anti-Muslim riots (photocopied extracts of typescript)
• Riots Seminar: Sri Lankan version re 1915 anti-Muslim riots program
• 1915 riots: Newnham MSS, Police Inquiry Commission, Miles Memo, Braybrooke– Turnour 1841
• 1915 riots: Newnham to Pakema 1943; Notes from Command; Newnham Memo: conversations with W.A. de Silva
• 1915 riots: critical data on Pol implications
• ‘More material from PRO – attach to Green Book”
• Gampola Perehera Case vols. I-II
• Gampola Perehera Case . Privy Council; NLR Report; Thalgodapitya
• Executive Council Minutes; DC Kurunegala – case judgements; Memo on arrests in 1915?
• Kurunegala 1912 leading to Gampola Case
• Legal cases, various 1879-1916
• ‘My original Xeroxes’ Letters – not 1915 riots
• Ceylon Moors, Malays and other Muslims of the past (typescript)
• Photocopies. The Ceylon Morning Leader 1915 and other Ceylon newspapers 19th to early 20th century
• Notes from newspapers: Sihala Samaya 1907-1915, and Sarasavi Sandarasa 1884-1915 [1 box]
• Letter from Rob Jones 1988 re inter-marriage between Indian and Ceylon Moors
G. Communal Disturbances and Race Riots in India, USA and Europe
• Final report … Rajiv Gandhi Assassination case
• Dates of some riots
• Hyderabad, Bombay
• Indian Express photos
• Delhi riots 1986-86
• News clippings: General on communalism
• Communalism: miscellaneous
• Hindustan Times on the anti-Sikh pogrom 1984
• [Photos: Indi a riots] from Bharar Bruston?
• Bhagalpur Riots (photocopies)
• Sydney riots 2005 (news clippings)
• Box of assorted photocopies
I. Anti-Tamil Pogrom of 1983 AND L. LTTE ie Tamil Tigers
• Letter to a Tamil Sama Samajist by VBK (Vikramabahu Bandara Karunaratna) 1983; The National Question – reply to Comrade VBK 1989
• Booklet: A Memorandum on Discrimination submitted to The International Commission of Jurists by the Tamil United Front of Ceylon (1973)
• Robert’s notes on chat with Bishop Kenneth Fernando re his central role in the peace talks with the LTTE early 1995
• Ethnographical notes in Lanka 1989 / MR – chats with Tamil personnel
• ‘Foundations of Sinhala and Ceylon Tamil Nationalisms and some implications’ / MR (Typescript)
• Suicide bombers; Tiger sanctified action; debates arising from Riaz
• Websites; questions; thoughts; interviews with Sivadara, Sashi Kumer etc
• Photocopies, notes etc on Tamil Tiger sacrifice
• ‘Racial Violence in Sri Lanka’ / Sinhala Association of Sri Lankans in the UK (1981)
• Various photocopies
• Notes from Susan Bayly on religion, sacrifice etc
• Responses to the Symposium on ‘Sinhale-Tamil Problems’ in October 1973
• Interview with Tilaka & Sugth Kodituwakku 1981
• News cuttings: ethnic struggle 1987
• Assorted photocopies
• Items re to draft of Robert’s 1976 paper on Sinhalese perspectives
J. JVP Insurgencies 1971 and 1987-89
• Robert’s notes on interview with Lionel Bopage on JVP 2007
• S.A. ‘Jingle’ Dissanayaka MSS: Memos on JVP activity 1973 and Press Censorship 1972
• S.A. ‘Jingle’ Dissanayaka MSS on JVP inurection 1971 ‘The Road to 5th April 1971’
• Indo-Lanka Accord 1983 – events leading up to meetings …, secret documents / Ananda Chittambalam?
K. Sinhala Resistance to Colonial Intrusions, 1500-1815/18
• Modern interviews (1990 and 1995) 9 envelopes. List with the collection
• Ethnographic information from R.W. Sompala; Hema Amarasinghe on marriage partners for daughters
• News clippings: Politics 1967; 1960s arcane history (2 envelopes)
• Sandadas Coperahewa: about the ‘Parangi Hatana’ war poem he translated
• Photocopy. Paranavitana Sinhalayo (1967)
• ‘Thoughts anthropological, analytical …
• Ms notes on Rajasiha Sovita I etc
• Ahalepola letter
• Ahalepola articles
• Derogatory poems in British times: sudu hatanaya & John Kotelawala’s war; Kevul Rodi Kolama
• PRO correspondence 1803-14 (MR’s notes)
• Sin-Con & Kyan Keom (MR’s notes)
• Reproduction of Navulle Dhammakhanda’s transliteration
• Letters to and from D’Oyly; Sinhalese documents in the Government Archives
• Sinhala poems
• Richard Young; Rajavaliya data; Knox
• Notes 1999: on Vanni and the reach of the Sinhala King
• ‘Others’; notes on UCHC, Cularamsa, Knox, Walters
• Paul E. Pieris
• Maha Hatara
• The Glossary
• Pujaraliya Chap. 34 (in Sinhala); Rajavaliya
• Sumana Satraya
• Sinhala Hatna Kavi; Malalgoda; Obeyesekere
• ’Item-by-item notes’
• Info for Sin-Con. Srinath; Punchi; Asoka1998 notes: Tri Sinhala, Davy on coronation, Lion’s Roar, Amaratura, Duncan
• Nationalism and tradition
• Notes on Godakumbura, Ariyapala, Pujavaliya
• Srinath & CR de Silva: translations of war poems
• Notes on Nerill. Laka Kadayura 1888; CM Austin – da Silva; list of publications 1911-12
• Hatan Kavi
• [Illustrations, maps]
• Key Sinhala words and dictionaries
• Assorted illustrations, Sinhalese documents and notes
• Sannargala compilations I
• Mandarampura Purata
• Sandas Coperahewa; translation of Parangi Hatana
• H.M. Somaratna; Rajasiha Hatana
• H.M. Somaratna (photocopy Sinhala)
• Sitavaka Hatana
• P.E. Pieris. Parangi Hatane
• Hatana (Sinhala photocopies)
• Mandaram Pura Puvatha: Edmund’s translation
• Maha Hatna
• Rajasingha Hatana
• Pujavaliya; Rajavaliya
• Shiranee Gunawardana; Palm leaf MSS
• Sannargala edition II
• Mp Purata (photocopy)
• Assorted Mp Purata
• Rajasinha Hatana ed Somaratne – summary and notes
• Hatan Kari summaries
• Rajasinha Hatana
• Notes on Mpura Purata, Hatan Kavi
• Parangi Hatana
• Parangi Hatana translation
• Narulle Dhammananda 1969 selections; PBJ Hewarasam (in Sinhala)
• [Lexicography of the North?? Sinahala photocopies]
• Ananda Wakkumbura
• Srinath on Sitavaka Hatana, plus Andare
• Maha Hatana v. 92 etc translations
• Ribeiro’s History of Ceilao … 1909 (photocopy)
• H.M. Somaratne’s Rajasinha Hatana (2 envelopes)
• Maha Hatana
• Ingrisi Hatana
• Sinhala Hatan Kari;Srinath’s notes onde Silva and Ambagaspitiya Himi
• PRO early 19th century Colonial Office documents on Sinhalese resistance (photocopies)
Printed documents / pamphlets
• Selections from the Epigraphica Zeyanica
• D.S. Senanayake as Minister of Agriculture and Lands / R.L. Brohier. 1955
• Genealogy of the Dias Bandaranayaka of Ceylon (photocopy)
• Sri Lanka (Ceylon). Third Anniversary of Independence-Day. Djakarta. 1951 (photocopy)
• Spolia Zeylanica: bulletin of the National Museums of Ceylon. Geology, Zoology, Anthropology. Vols 28 pt 7? (June 2956) and 25 pt 2 (December 1948)
• A Dictionary of the Sinhalese Language / Compiled under the direction of Wilhelm Geiger … 1935-36. Vol 1 pts 1-2
• [Sinhala publication] 1941
• The Arrack Question in Ceylon 1895-1896 … / M.A. Perera. 1896 (photocopy)
• [Assorted extracts] (photocopies)
• Ceylon Banking Commission. Volume II. Questionnaire. 1934
• Ceylon Medical College Magazine (April 1914)
• Memoir of Joan Maetsuyker … delivered to his successor Jacob van Kittensteyn … 1927
• Speeches by Sir J. West Ridgeway ... to Chiefs and Headman … 1904 (in Sinhala)
• Journal of the Ceylon Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society v. 26 no 70 (1918)
• Instructions from the Governor-General and Council of India to the Governor of Ceylon 1656-1665 … 1908
• Memoir of Hendrick Becker … for his successor Isaac Augustyn Rumpf … 1914
• Memoir of Cornelis Joan Simons … for his successor Hendrick Becker … 1914
• Literature and the Ceylon Civil Service / J.R. Toussaint. 1933
• The Burghers in early British Times / J.R. Toussaint. 1935
• Wolvendaal Church in Early Times / J.R. Toussaint. 1938
• Governor van Imhoff and his scheme of Island River communication in the Colombo Disavany (reprint from University of Ceylon Review)
Other print works
28 International Congress of Orientalists. Papers for Special Congress Seminars. A. Irrigation civilisations
Ceylon Studies Seminar Articles 1968-69 (includes Roberts’ ‘The sources pertaining to the history of British Ceylon’)
Sri Lanka: Provincial council elections and devolution (special issue of The Thatched Pation v. 6 no. 5 1993)
Folder: ‘Assorted academic mail received by M. Roberts’