Skip to content

6

Arthur James Robinson (1907-)
Surveying notebooks

 MSS 0095

Biographical Note

Arthur Robinson, taken from a civil engineering staff photograph, 1946Arthur James Robinson (b. 23/12/1907) gained his degree of Bachelor of Civil Engineering at the University of Melbourne in 1929. In 1937 he was appointed as a teaching officer and demonstrator in the Dept of Civil Engineering at the University of Adelaide, Assistant Lecturer in 1940, Lecturer in 1946, and Senior Lecturer in 1950. From 1940-1942 Robinson also instructed classes at the SA School of Mines. Robinson continued to teach after retirement, employed as a part-time lecturer in the Dept of Civil Engineering 1974-1977. From 1937 Robinson also worked as State Testing Officer in the Deparmentt of Civil Engineering.

Contents Listing

These papers were donated to the University Archives by Valerie Wyld in March 2007 and subsequently transferred to the Barr Smith Library.

Series 1 University of Adelaide    5cm.

1.1 Survey and levels measurements for buildings and structures, including the University Oval and surroundings, the boundary between the Training College and the Observatory; lines for chaining survey; chaining survey for the Institute for Medical and Veterinary Science; site for the 'new' Engineering building; area north of the Dental College; level to Albert Bridge dated 1938-1946. Some pages initialled RBW, JDCC, ALR, GJB, CFCC etc. Also observations to Mt Lofty, 1959. 1938-1959.

1.2 Survey and levels measurements of George Murray Building surrounds, Jubilee Oval, Bonython Jubilee Building, the Barr Smith Library and the 'new' School of Mines building, roadways near Bentham Building; also new Mechanical Engineering Building, including water levels in foundation pits. Some pages initialled RFK, DJA, AGR, JWCC, GJB, RT and DA. 1945-1964.

1.3 Surveying and levels calculations for Engineering Building, Frome Rd; SW access road to Bedford Park; Waite Institute Hydraulics site; levels for Bedford Park; St Lawrence's Church, North Adelaide. 1961-1962.

Series 2 Adelaide University at Bedford Park (now Flinders University)    11 cm.

2.1 Seven notebooks comprising fieldbooks of traverse angles, levels and sketches,     benchmark information, stadia station measurements etc. 1963-63.

2.2 Colour slide (and 2 copies) of 66' to 1" model [of Flinders University terrain] taken by J. Hutchinson, June 1962.

Cheryl Hoskin
February 2008

Rare Books & Special Collections
Address

The University of Adelaide
Rare Books & Special Collections
Level 1, Barr Smith Library
South Australia 5005
Australia

Contact

Phone: +61 8 8313 5224
library_special@adelaide.edu.au