Associate Professor Terence (Terry) Williamson
Research / project papers (School of Architecture) 1983-2002
For a detailed biography of Associate Professor Terence Williamson, including information about his educational background and distinguished teaching and research career, please refer to the University of Adelaide staff directory. Here, you will also find a list of some of the many papers authored by Professor Williamson.
The below papers were transferred from University Archives to Rare Books & Special Collections in February 2014.
Series 1: Biographical
Refer series 3.1. Grant Applications "Design of environmentally responsible housing..." for copy of T. Williamson's curriculum vitae.
Series 2: Correspondence
Hanoi Architectural University
Correspondence mostly between T. Williamson and Professor Nguyen Huu Dung, Research Centre for Architectural Indoor Climatology and Environment, Hanoi Architecture University re Adelaide University students study trip to Vietnam. Includes list of students attending, field activity information notice, Hanoi trip packing guide, expenses and various trip progress reports. Also includes lists of equipment required for climate monitoring in Vietnam and insurance cover for equipment in transit. 1996-1998.
Australian Research Council
Letters, quotations, order requests, discussion papers, research agreement, meeting notes, statistical data, email correspondence and brochures relating primarily to collaborative research project "Design of environmentally responsible housing for Australia, with emphasis on the use of timber". Includes information about project focus groups, copy of agreement between University of Adelaide and CSIRO, notification of continuation of ARC collaborative research grant, request for amendments to the personnel section of the project's budget and draft duty/selection criteria for HEO6 research assistant. 1995-1998.
Letter to S. Coldicutt from Woodhead Firth Lee re Tropical Buildings Innovation Program workshop, March 1997; letter and copy of report to T. Williamson from I. McGregor, Director McGregor Marketing, re lightweight energy homes study, 1997; letter and draft proposal to Markku Lahti, Alvar Aalto Museum Finland, from A. Radford, Professor of Architecture Adelaide University, re Australian lightweight houses, 1996; copy of facsimile memo and article to S. Coldicutt from Howard Brownscombe, Timber Promotion Council, re heat losses through floors, 1991.
Series 3: Research
3.1 Grant Applications
Design of Buildings for Optimum Solar Energy Input
• Correspondence re progress payments and quarterly status reports, Mar-May 1992
• University of Adelaide application for project (no. 1544) grant, "Design of buildings for optimum solar energy input", 1990
• Request to advertise vacant position, Research Officer Grade I, for Architecture Dept. project "Design of buildings for optimum solar energy input", including associated duty statement and offer of temporary employment to P. Riordan, 1990-1991
• Copy of agreement for project no. 1544 between the University of Adelaide and The Energy Research and Development Corporation, including ERDC information on administration of grants, Jan 1991
• Congratulatory letter to Williamson from Vice-Chancellor Kevin Marjoribanks re funding for energy project no. 1544
• Two copies of final report "Design of buildings for optimum solar energy input", T. Williamson, S. Coldicutt, H. Bennetts and P. Riordan, Dept. of Architecture, University of Adelaide, Sep 1992
Design of environmentally responsible housing for Australia, with emphasis on the use of timber
Australian Research Council (ARC) collaborative research grant to T. Williamson and S. Coldicutt, University of Adelaide, Department of Architecture, 1995
• Application for collaborative research grant between University of Adelaide and National Association of Forest Industries for project (no. 834) "Design of environmentally responsible housing for Australia, with emphasis on the use of timber", including curricula vitae for T. Williamson and S. Coldicutt, 1995
• Copy of project outline, including: aims, significance, context, methodology and budget justification. Undated.
• Acceptance of offer for 1996 project grant, including DEET report of assessor
• Facsimile draft contract for CSIRO's part in the ARC project, 1996
• Approval to carry forward project funds, J. Dibb-Smith, Director Research Branch, University of Adelaide, Jul 1997
• Two copies of "Timber building products and carbon dioxide emissions: a review of the literature", S Pullen and C. Varley, Feb 1999
• Various drafts of "Design of environmentally responsible housing...", plus second report to National Assoc. of Forest Industries, all undated.
• Copy of embodied energy component of the project: "Interim report on embodied energy coefficient of softwood timber", Stephen Pullen, Apr 1997
• Income/expenditure, purchase requests and tax invoices re project. 1997-2001
• "Environmentally responsible housing for Australia: proceedings of the ARC/NAFI research seminar, University Staff Club, Mar 1998
• "Environmentally responsible housing for Australia: proceedings of the research seminar/workshop", Forest & Wood Products Research & Development Corp. Timber Development Association (NSW), Jul 1998
3.2 Research Projects
Thermal preferences in housing in the humid tropics
National Energy Research, Development and Demonstration Program and the University of Adelaide, Department of Architecture, 1987
Blank copies of project introductory letter, personal particulars form, checklist and record for comfort vote logger use, hot-night survey card, Darwin interview schedule, appointment notice for installation of comfort vote logger in participant's house, instructions for using Solomat, logger pick-up procedures and examples of comfort logger voting panel. List of logger names and locations; completed comfort logger checklists; responses to interview question no. 8; "Thermal preferences in housing in the humid tropics" project progress report, T. Williamson, S. Coldicutt and R. Penny; various chapters describing project objectives, theoretical background and discussion of findings. 1988-1989.
Comfort vote logger operating instructions; survey responses to housing comfort levels, including personal particulars form, Darwin interview schedule, checklist and record for comfort vote logger use, sleeping comfort card, 1989. Response no's 4008 and 4010 include floor plans and elevations. Undated.
General notes, tables and research data re housing project, including household and meteorological data. 1988.
Design of environmentally responsible housing for Australia with emphasis on the use of timber
Australian Research Council (ARC) collaborative research grant to T. Williamson and S. Coldicutt, University of Adelaide, Department of Architecture, 1995.
List of project milestones; various drafts and interim reports on the Embodied Energy Component of the project, S. Pullen and C. Varley; notebook interspersed with house floor plans; temperature and wind speed statistical data for houses at Huntingdale and Oakleigh. 19969-1998.
Completed report "Design of environmentally responsible housing for Australia: with emphasis on the use of timber", H. Bennetts and T. Williamson (eds), Adelaide University in collaboration with the National Association of Forest Industries, Aug 2000.
3.3 Research support materials (may be related to research projects listed above)
• Unbound thesis re assessment framework for evaluating sustainable housing in Adelaide and Hanoi. Title page missing. Author unknown. Undated.
• Variety of documents re the Windows and Daylighting Group, including task report on "Superlite 2.0: A PC based computer program for daylighting and electric lighting system analysis" and diskette of Superlite 2.0 beta version. 1986-1991.
• Perth logger data; multiple environment response logger user checklists; seasonal data on 6 floppy discs. Undated.
• Interview schedule, questionnaire and information paper re national energy survey; extract from "Windows and energy: a guide to the design and building for optimum solar energy input", vol 1, T. Williamson, S. Coldicutt, P. Riordon and H. Bennetts. 1989-1993.
• Various solar radiation tables. All months. Year unknown.
• Correspondence with Timber Development Association of S.A. re report on sub-floor ventilation; copy of report "A subfloor ventilation calculation, P.J. Walsh; copy of report "Subfloor ventilation calculations for structures with large floor areas", P.J. Walsh; reprint of 1966 article "Ventilation measurements in houses and the influence of wall ventilators", J.S. Howard, Building Science, vol. 1.
• Research materials, primarily in Vietnamese, possibly re sustainable housing in Adelaide and Hanoi project (?). Includes copies of household questionnaires, floor plans, resume for Viet Huong and exercise book labelled "Hanoi Project", 1997.
3.4 Consultancy projects
Preparation of Adelaide sunlight indicators, associated instruction manual and training session
Adelaide City Council, 1991
Letters to Adelaide City Council; copies of sunlight indicator charts; "Sunlight indicators" publication describing a graphical means for determining sunlight penetration and overshadowing; discussion paper "Solar access, overshadowing and overlooking".
Assessment of thermal comfort (Nationwide HERS project)
University of New South Wales, 1997
Terms of reference and quotation for a study of the assessment of thermal comfort; list of equipment required for climate monitoring; copy of workshop papers "Climatic design of buildings for Nepal", 1994.
Environmentally friendly housing with timber
Timber Development Association (N.S.W.), 1998
Copy of first draft "Environmentally friendly housing with timber: the principles"; copy of second draft "The environmentally friendly timber house" and second draft copy of "Environmentally friendly housing with timber". Copy of "Residential installation manual: perimeter-insulated raised floor system" and draft copy of "Embodied energy of timber building components and related environmental issues. All undated and without listed author(s).
Energy in building construction and construction practices
Forest & Wood Products Research & Development Corporation, 2002
Two copies of project application "Energy in building construction and construction practices", including curricula vitae of Terry Williamson, Veronica Soebarto and Stephen Pullien, 20 Feb 2002; draft proposal "Australian lightweight houses", A. Radford, Dec 1996; "Lightweight homes energy study", I. McGregor and F. Eltridge Smith, Jun 1997; invitation from W. Parer, Minister for Resources and Energy, to S. Coldicutt to attend the Tropical Buildings Innovation Program workshop, including overview of program and recommendations, Mar 1997. Copy of "Solar control design aids", A. Coldicutt, S. Coldicutt and J. Curzon-Siggers, Dept. of Architecture and Building, University of Melbourne, 1984 and copy of "Comfort vote box" installation manual, R.H. Elliott, Sep 1986.
Series 4: Publications/Writings
• "Thermal design data", T. Williamson and D. White, Dept. of Architecture, University of Adelaide, 1980.
• "Solar control-design aids", A. Coldicutt, S. Coldicutt and J. Curzon-Siggers, Dept. of Architecture and Building, University of Melbourne, 1984.
• "Tempal manual: computer prediction of thermal performance of buildings", A. Coldicutt and E. Coldicutt, University of Melbourne. Version 3.1 by T. Williamson, University of Adelaide, 1985.
• "Comfort vote box: installation manual", R.H. Elliott, 1986.
• "Tempal: prediction of thermal performance of buildings based on advancing mean concepts...", A. Coldicutt and E. Coldicutt, Dept. of Architecture and Building, University of Melbourne. University of Adelaide version 3.2, 1989.
• "Concepts of solar energy use for climate control in buildings", S. Coldicutt and T. Williamson, Dept. of Architecture, University of Adelaide, 1991.
• "Shading: a computer program for energy based shading design to accompany: Windows and Energy: a guide to the design of buildings for optimum solar energy input", T. Williamson and P. Riordan, Dept. of Architecture, University of Adelaide, 1992.
• "Windows and energy: a guide to the design of buildings for optimum solar energy input", T. Williamson, S. Coldicutt, P. Riordan and H. Bennetts, University of Adelaide, 1992.
• "National home energy rating scheme: heater/cooler use patterns", T. Williamson and S. Coldicutt, Luminis P/L, University of Adelaide, 1993.
• "Study of heater/cooler users patterns for national housing energy rating system as it relates to the Northern Territory", G. Bell and A. McDonald, Dept. of Architecture & Building, Northern Territory University, 1994.
• "Energy efficient design: theory and the real world: Task 3 - Lightweight construction and the Victorian thermal insulation regulations and VicHERS, T. Williamson, S. Coldicutt, H. Bennetts and J. Rees, Dept. of Architecture, University of Adelaide, 1995.
• Energy based shading: a new approach to the design of windows, T. Williamson, S. Coldicutt, H. Bennetts and P. Riordan, Dept. of Architecture, University of Adelaide, undated.
• "Thermostat strategies for discretionary heating and cooling of dwellings in temperate climates", T. Williamson and P. Riordan, Dept. of Architecture, University of Adelaide, undated.
• "Report on the costs and benefits of thermal insulation in new dwellings South Australia", T. Williamson, Dept. of Architecture, University of Adelaide, undated.
Series 5: Teaching and lecture material
Notes on tutorial and summary of lectures 1-3, undated; copy of Science in Building Design II assignment IV question re materials in space, 1992; copy of Science in Building Design II assignment IB question re materials in space, 1993; copy of Science in the Built Environment II subject information, 1996; copy of Science in the Built Environment tutorial I exercise re measurement and observation, 1996; copy of Science and the Built Environment assignment question I re the acoustic environment, 1996; information re science and design final assignment, 1997; copy of Planning Policy I assignment II by student, Marina Gibbs, 1992; various articles on insulation and traffic noise; brochures re residential developments at St Andrews Close, New Brompton and New Haven Village, 1994.
Series 6: Sketches/drawings
Variety of drawings/sketches on sunlight, artificial light, windows and shading on both standard and tracing paper, to be used in "Windows and Energy..." by T. Williamson, S. Coldicutt, P. Riordan and H. Bennetts, artist unknown but several drawings initialled L.M., undated. Refer Series 4, folder, 3 for copy of publication. Includes possible related research articles "Cold climate cottages", D. Johnston, 1996 and "Fanger: face to face", R. Bunn, 1993.
Series 7: Photographs and slides
• 14 photographs of various houses , received in envelope marked NAFI (National Association of Forest Industries), undated.
• 12 miscellaneous photographs, undated.
• 17 numbered slides of various houses, received in envelope labelled "ARC/NAFI slides (rejects), May 1997.
• 4 slides labelled "Vera 3/97 Victor Harbor SA", undated.
• 6 unnumbered slides of houses and the environment response logger, undated.
• 25 negatives of various houses/buildings, undated.
Series 8: Miscellaneous
• Photocopies of elevations and floor plans for house at Langslow Street, suburb unknown, undated.
• Folder of climate analysis data for Adelaide, including average temperatures and wind speed/direction spanning the years 1983-87.