Students welcome industry feedback
For current students, life beyond a degree can be unclear: from the range of job choices available to just what their day-to-day responsibilities would involve.
The new Student and Industry Program (SIP), developed by Development and Alumni as part of the University's Young Alumni program, brings together current students, graduates and industry representatives to provide a networking forum to explore career options and pathways.
SIP aims to strengthen opportunities for the broader University of Adelaide community by:
- building relationships between students, staff, graduates and industry leaders
- promoting opportunities for students to gain practical industry knowledge and assist them in defining their career objectives
- maintaining effective linkages with industry and emerging technologies
- providing an open and friendly environment for students to gain experience in networking and obtaining knowledge about the industry they are hoping to enter upon graduation
- providing a forum for graduates to reconnect with their alma mater and fellow alumni, build on their industry networks and to learn about opportunities for further study.
SIP events give undergraduate and postgraduate students the chance to meet and talk with industry leaders in their field of study in a speed networking format.
With an optimum ratio of 2:1 (student:alumni/industry), each student has 15 minutes to ask questions of alumni and industry such as: how were they successful in getting their first job, what kinds of practical skills are employers looking for, and are there opportunities for students to volunteer or get work experience?
After each 15 minute round of discussions the students proceed to a new table of graduates and industry. Following four rounds of discussions, there is an opportunity at the end of the event to continue networking in a more informal setting.
This one-on-one time gives students an insight into potential career pathways and real life experiences, helping them tailor their career aspirations and discover the diversity of roles available.
Since its launch in September 2007, SIP events have been held for: Marine Biology; Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering; Psychology; Viticulture, Oenology, Wine Business and Marketing; Environmental Policy and Management; and Architecture and Landscape Architecture.
Some of the feedback received to
- Perfect! Excellent program, very timely and well executed. - Industry comment from Psychology event
- I will definitely come to every single alumni event during my time of study. - Student comment from Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering event
- The industry representatives were open, friendly and gave a very good idea of industry expectations... it motivates me to pursue this career. - Student comment from the Viticulture, Oenology, Wine Business and Marketing event.
Students are leaving the sessions with increased confidence and a better understanding of the reality of careers awaiting them upon graduation. ■
Further information on SIP is located at www.alumni.adelaide.edu.au/sip or you can contact Jen Clark at +61 8 8303 7194 or firstname.lastname@example.org
STORY KIM HARVEY