German has deep roots in European and Australian culture.
German is a language of potential: as the national language of Germany and a dominant language in central Europe. As a German studies student at The University of Adelaide, you will gain valuable practical language skills. Germany had the largest economy in Europe and, together with its sister countries Austria and Switzerland, it is Australia’s third most important trading partner.
As a German studies student you will:
- Learn to read and write in German
- Gain the skills to listen and speak in German
- Develop an understanding and appreciation of German culture
- Study the German influence in modern society
- Improve your understanding of how language works
- Have the opportunity to study abroad
By learning another language you will set yourself apart from others in your future career. As a University of Adelaide student you also have the advantage of studying in South Australia and seeing how the culture is woven into our history.
Extend your German proficiency and deepen your understanding of the culture and society before you graduate with an international exchange! As a University of Adelaide student you will have access to over 100 overseas exchange programs around the world. A one semester or one year study exchange is on offer with our German partner universities. We also offer the opportunity of an intensive in-country winter school program in Stuttgart that counts as a credit to your degree.
Degrees that offer this study area
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Arts (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Arts with Bachelor of Economics
- Bachelor of Arts with Bachelor of Music
- Bachelor of Arts with Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of International Development
- Bachelor of International Relations
- Bachelor of International Relations with Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Languages
- Bachelor of Media with Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary) with Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary) with Bachelor of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
- Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary) with Bachelor of Music
- Diploma in Languages
- Honours Degree of Bachelor of Arts
- Honours Degree of Bachelor of Languages
The University of Adelaide is committed to regular reviews of the courses and programs it offers to students. The University of Adelaide therefore reserves the right to discontinue or vary programs and courses without notice. Please read the important information contained in the disclaimer.
Last updated: 09 Jul 2019