Soil is not just dirt, it plays a critical role in sustaining life on our planet. From delivering productive farming to environmental conservation, soil scientists are key to feeding the world's growing population in agriculturally, environmentally, and economically sustainable ways.
By studying a major in soil science you will:
- explore the biological, chemical and physical properties of soils in Australian landscapes
- use the latest technology in geographical information systems, remote sensing and spatial modelling to monitor distributions of landscape properties
- learn to assess, map and monitor Australian landscapes to solve questions about the structure of ecosystems and find new approaches to environmental problems
- broaden your knowledge with topics in plant science and geology
- learn directly from world-class researchers
- learn through hands-on experiences and extensive field work.
Our graduates are keenly sought after by a wide range of government agencies, regional bodies, private enterprise and universities to work in the fields of agriculture, oil surveying, environmental planning, soil conservation, environmental impact assessment, environmental engineering, land assessment and mapping, research and biodiversity survey and assessment.
Degrees that offer this study area
Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)(Chemical) with Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)(Civil) with Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)(Environmental) with Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)(Mechanical) with Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)(Mining) with Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)(Petroleum) with Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Science (Advanced)
The University of Adelaide is committed to regular reviews of the courses and programs it offers to students. The University of Adelaide therefore reserves the right to discontinue or vary programs and courses without notice. Please read the important information contained in the disclaimer.