Uni records strong financial result
Monday, 5 June 2006
The University of Adelaide has recorded a strong financial result for 2005 of $38.2million, its audited figures reveal.
"This is a sound result which contributes to our goal of achieving sustainable financial growth," says University Vice-Chancellor Professor James McWha.
Professor McWha says the result has enabled the University to improve facilities for students and staff.
"We have embarked on a range of initiatives that benefit our most important asset: our people. These include more scholarships and improved equity and access for students; and salary increases and improved working conditions for staff.
"We have also invested heavily in buildings and facilities, to give staff and students the highest quality environment for learning, teaching and research."
The University spent more than $28million on its capital works program in 2005. Major items included:
· $7million to upgrade the Napier Building and surrounds, one of the University's key teaching sites;
· $1.8million to upgrade other teaching areas, audio-visual and IT equipment and infrastructure;
· $5million for the new home of the University's world-leading Reproductive Health;
· $1.7million to establish a state-of-the art Proteomics Centre to boost Adelaide's international leadership in cancer research;
· $2million on the new central campus access lift to support the University's commitment to provide universal access for students, staff and visitors.
· Establishing the University of Adelaide Village student accommodation in the city centre; and
· Establishing Roseworthy Campus as the headquarters for the new Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) for an Internationally Competitive Pork Industry.
Other key figures from 2005 include: total student numbers rising to 19,222, including an increase of nearly 20% in the total number of international students; an increase in total research income of more than 8% from 2004; and an increase in net assets of more than 8% from 2004.
Media and Communications Officer
The University of Adelaide
Business: +61 8 8313 6341
Mobile: +61 410 689 084